Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [0]
Given Kudos: 18860
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: Best GMAT Books [#permalink]
Does the whole MGMAT math set cover all the quant questions in OG12?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
Does the whole MGMAT math set cover all the quant questions in OG12?

The MGMAT book set covers the entire OG 12 as well as Verbal OG and Quant OG
They heavily rely on those books.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Thanks. In my logbook I had a huge strike of non-wrong answers, so I thought I didn't even do these exercises.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Manhattan GMAT Number Properties is a great investment for anyone even slightly struggling with the concepts found in the quant section. My one recommendation is to first read through to Chapter 8 Data Sufficiency (it's a short book!) and note any concepts that are completely foreign to you and then work your way through the book again. I originally planned to master each concept on each page, memorizing everything suggested, before turning the page. That was silly and a waste of at least one day of study as basic subject matter covered later in the book is quite helpful to topics found earlier in the book.

TL;DR Struggle with quant, nervous about quant? Get the book. Skim it and then put in the time again.

Thanks for the recommendation gmatclub.

Fronds
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
I wanted to ask about the Kaplan Premier book, it's listed as a good baseline book. I have already bought the MGMAT 8 set, OG 12, OG Verbal & Quant, and Total Gmat Math by Jeff Sackmann. Is there any value in the Premier book with what I have already bought? I'm aiming for a 730+ to make up for my miserable gpa, so I'm willing to get anything as long as it adds some value.

Side note I have taken the LSAT and got a 172, so I think for CR and RC I'll be ok, so I'm ok with standardized tests. But I study like I'm paranoid I'll miss something.

A

Can you please delete this? I got my answer earlier in this thread. Thanks

Originally posted by Bigred2008 on 05 Nov 2010, 14:41.
Last edited by Bigred2008 on 06 Nov 2010, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I'm in the Army and currently deployed in Afghanistan. I work 90+ hour weeks and am under a decent amount of stress. I plan on taking the GMAT in Feb before I come back to the states as they have a testing center in Bagram Air Base where I can take the test for free.

I've been out of school for about 2 years, so I know I need some books with the basics still covered. I'm trying to find prep books, but don't want to overwhelm myself with too much since my time is limited. I'm aiming for a 650 on the GMAT.

What I'm thinking about getting is GMAT Premier by Kaplan along with the OG 12th Edition or both Verb and Quant OGs. Would this be sufficient for a 650 with limited time or would you recommend other books? Also, should I get the OG 12th Edition or both the Verb and Quant OGs?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi bb,

I just signed up a few hours ago on this awesome and very helpful forum! I'm planning to take my GMAT early March 2011.

Preparations has just started. As for now, I've got the OG12 and planning to get the MGMAT set. I read in earlier posts that I should start with the MGMAT instead.

I have no idea what's inside the MGMAT set. Are they questions only (like OG12), or questions + theories, etc?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
 Q47 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
Send PM
Hi bb,

Could you please include new GMAT resources like Jeff Sackmann sets and RC99 SC Grail etc to the table at start of the thread. The table is a very good and informative for all GMAT takers.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
schizophreak wrote:
Hi bb,

I just signed up a few hours ago on this awesome and very helpful forum! I'm planning to take my GMAT early March 2011.

Preparations has just started. As for now, I've got the OG12 and planning to get the MGMAT set. I read in earlier posts that I should start with the MGMAT instead.

I have no idea what's inside the MGMAT set. Are they questions only (like OG12), or questions + theories, etc?

It is mostly theory and the books rely on the OG 12 for most of their practice questions.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
puneetpratik wrote:
Hi bb,

Could you please include new GMAT resources like Jeff Sackmann sets and RC99 SC Grail etc to the table at start of the thread. The table is a very good and informative for all GMAT takers.

This thread does not list ALL books and ALL downloadable materials - only the best. There are way too many books/pdf's/etc floating around. Jeff's materials are very good but they are quite hard (I will add them to the hardcore plan). Yet I feel quite expensive and thus hard for me to recommend. The SC grail - I saw the book and it is nice but it did not look comprehensive enough to include in the list. I actually liked the easy-going approach but I felt it was a bit on the shallower side in terms of material (compare that to the gmat club grammar guide).

Please feel free to disagree, I am very open to hearing other thoughts and input and happy to reconsider my opinion. This is a club and a community not just me :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am new to this forum and I have to say I am pretty impressed with the quality of the information, I've looked around for about 2 or 3 hrs before signing up. This will probably be a question that has been asked before but I wanted to get an answer for my specific situation.

So I am looking to go to qrad school like many people taking the GMAT, however I am a little worried about what study material to choose. I've taken pre-calc and discrete math and received B's in them both. Here is where it get crazy, when I was in high school I never cared about math and because of that I never learned the basic stuff like Geometry formulas, number properties, developing algebraic equations for world problems, basically highschool level math. When I got into college I was taught college algebra, mainly dealing with functions, how was I able to get this far in college math you might ask? I am the type of who learns based on their environment. If I was put into a calc 1 class I could learn a lot of things just for that class, if I was put into a discrete math like I was I can learn how that class and the material works. I want to point out that my way of learning I don't particularly like but it is what it.

What I am looking is a set of GMAT prep books that will help me learn the structure of the GMAT, give well written explanations so I know what it is I did wrong and why the answer is what it, I need something for first time GMAT takes. What I don't want is a book that provide shortcuts, I've taken enough of those in high school and when I got to college I changed for the better and I don't want to go back every again.

I've become a little overwhelm with sheer number of prep books out there and since I have 3 1/2 months to prepare I want to do it right. I am worried more about the math than the verbal and my goal score is 600-650+.

All I have so far for my first book is Kaplan GMAT 2011 Premier with CD-ROM (Kaplan Gmat Premier Live) [Paperback]
I was thinking about some of the MGMAT books, but I don't know what I need. I have not taken any practice test yet so I don't know what I stand, but I would probably say I need a LOT of work. Sorry for the rant and thanks for everyone's time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
 Q47 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
Send PM
NEURON wrote:

What I am looking is a set of GMAT prep books that will help me learn the structure of the GMAT, give well written explanations so I know what it is I did wrong and why the answer is what it, I need something for first time GMAT takes. What I don't want is a book that provide shortcuts, I've taken enough of those in high school and when I got to college I changed for the better and I don't want to go back every again.

I've become a little overwhelm with sheer number of prep books out there and since I have 3 1/2 months to prepare I want to do it right. I am worried more about the math than the verbal and my goal score is 600-650+.

MGMAT is good. As I had used challenge set from GMAT Hack, I assume there book must also be good. https://www.totalgmatmath.com/
Also, you can clear many concepts using gmat-math-book-87417.html and https://totalgadha.com/

Also after initial base formation, what help is to filter out concepts which are weak for you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for you reply. Where these the only sources you use? I was reallying thinking hard about getting the MGMAT(at least quant sections) I am not so much worried right now about the verbal. Anymore advice toward my situation would be helpful, if you need anymore information about what it is I am looking for please ask.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
What about the GMAT club grammar ? I am reading through it and I find it very good
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
drisss wrote:
What about the GMAT club grammar ? I am reading through it and I find it very good

Thank you :oops:
We have it listed here: best-gmat-verbal-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-78094.html
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
thanks a lot, this just saves us an awful lot of time
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Does anyone knows the exact overlap between 11th and 12th OG?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  18