It is currently 19 Aug 2017, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best GMAT Books

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Best GMAT Books [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2010, 21:42
Thanks

"Resistance is futile"

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2010, 18:52
Hey, new poster; I apologize for the paragraph of questions for my first post. I've spent some time researching the GMAT here; you have a great source of info on this site! I just have a few questions, I'd be grateful if anyone could fill me in. I took the LSAT last summer and got into the University of Minnesota for law school. I start in September, leaving me with a summer of work at a bank and not much else. Most law students I've talked to said it's not imperative to do anything but relax during the summer preceding entry, but with idle time on my hands, I'd really like to take the GMAT. I've got my eye on a J.D./MBA joint degree. My question is how much overlap does the LSAT and GMAT have? Critical reasoning and reading comprehension were my strongest sections on the LSAT, should I even bother with studying those sections? Are they harder, less hard or about the same as LSAT RC and CR sections? Are there any comprehensive books that would cover the most material...not necessarily completely in depth analysis, but brushing up in areas well enough to be able to score well? I figure I can research whatever I've forgotten (most likely quantitative) while nailing down what I haven't. I'd like to be able to buy perhaps 3 books: one quantitative, one verbal, and one with a boatload of practice tests. I self studied with a few cheap used books for the LSAT using a similar strategy with great success...will this work out on the GMAT? I really would like to avoid workshops and classes.

I realize these questions are most likely cyclically redundant on this website, so again, I apologize. Thanks for all of the helpful info thus far!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Operations, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2010, 22:53
Picked up a bunch of books. Looking forward to getting through them.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2010, 17:19
A great take on the set of resources necessary to do best on GMAT.
Thanks for sharing!

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 14

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2010, 22:57
Hi,

We all know that Manhattan GMAT Prep Sentence Correction is one of the best in the market.
But can anyone advise whether edition 2005 is as good as the latest edition?

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 12

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2010, 23:12
fir books..what about the guide companion from gmat fix?

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27158 [0], given: 5001

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2010, 23:13
jakolik wrote:
Hi,

We all know that Manhattan GMAT Prep Sentence Correction is one of the best in the market.
But can anyone advise whether edition 2005 is as good as the latest edition?

Your feedback is much appreciated.

hey there, sorry I missed your post.
2005 is pushing it a bit and I would probably upgrade (also, these books rely on OG 11; not sure if you have it) - see this overview thread:
manhattan-gmat-books-3rd-4th-edition-conversion-tables-91671.html

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2010, 23:19
soofialeem wrote:
fir books..what about the guide companion from gmat fix?

Are you referring to the OG Companion? MGMAT just released the same book that can be purchased online or in paper format:
photo-review-official-guide-companion-ogc-from-mgmat-94278.html#p725394

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2010, 11:31
yes I was wondering when it comes to the companion guide...I know there's two ...the MGMAT & the one by GMAT Fix....are they must haves?

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2010, 11:45
sosogmat wrote:
yes I was wondering when it comes to the companion guide...I know there's two ...the MGMAT & the one by GMAT Fix....are they must haves?

if you have issues with explanations (quant only; none of these cover verbal), then sure - it is valuable. Otherwise, it is a specialty book.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2010, 12:28
Hi everyone,

First off, just wanted to say this is an absolute amazing site and thank you bb for putting it together along with all the contributors.

I know this question has been done to death, it was kind of hard trying to navigate through the many pages of posts to find the answer I was looking for :? . However, any suggestions on which to go for - the complete Manhattan GMAT set + OG OR getting the all three OG booklets along with the kaplans and 1 or 2 Manhattan books?

OR ALL of them?? Aiming to score in the high 600's to 700+ if possible.

Thanks again,

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2010, 12:31
MGMAT guides with OG 12

OG Verbal and OG quant are optional; you can get them if you feel you need more practice. Questions there are not that hard but the MGMAT Guides do refer to them for additional practice.

Welcome to gmat club :wink:

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2010, 12:40
Wow that was fast! Thanks bb :)

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2010, 12:56
aserty wrote:
Wow that was fast! Thanks bb :)

he-he. Sometimes it happens - you asked a question that was to the point and reasonable, and that always helps to get replies instead of asking "what is wrong with me", which I usually say - a lot if you have to ask :)

Founder of GMAT Club

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2010, 19:25
This post received
KUDOS
Good day,

I am new the GMAT and purchased the Kaplan Premier Book with CD-ROM basically solely based on the recommendation at the first post of this thread. The post says, "Recommended. Well-rounded guide for GMAT preparation. Questions are usually harder than GMAT and sometimes a bit off; however, the book comes with 5 GMAT Tests (1 in the book and 4 online)". I didn't have time to read through this whole thread, although now I'm wishing that maybe I did, because the original post does not mention that the CD does not work with Windows Vista. Instead it says the application requires "MCI drivers" to be installed.

At first I thought it was something wrong with me or my computer, but a quick Google search of "vista kaplan this application requires the mci drivers to be installed" reveals that instead,
(1) the software was never designed to work with Windows Vista,
(2) the book falsely claims the software works with Windows Vista,
(3) Kaplan is aware that their software doesn't work with Vista, and
(4) has known this for years, but
(5) has for years deliberately chosen to neither update its software nor to update the incorrect information printed in the Requirements section of their book (which basically makes it a lie).
(6) In order to get this CD to work, you have to buy Windows XP, which is no longer supported by Microsoft, build an ISO file, download Microsoft Virtual PC, and then install an entirely new computer solely for the CD.

Basically, Kaplan is giving a big middle finger to all of its Windows Vista customers. Had I known this I would NOT have purchased this book!

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2010, 22:39
Beet wrote:
Good day,

I am new the GMAT and purchased the Kaplan Premier Book with CD-ROM basically solely based on the recommendation at the first post of this thread. The post says, "Recommended. Well-rounded guide for GMAT preparation. Questions are usually harder than GMAT and sometimes a bit off; however, the book comes with 5 GMAT Tests (1 in the book and 4 online)". I didn't have time to read through this whole thread, although now I'm wishing that maybe I did, because the original post does not mention that the CD does not work with Windows Vista. Instead it says the application requires "MCI drivers" to be installed.

At first I thought it was something wrong with me or my computer, but a quick Google search of "vista kaplan this application requires the mci drivers to be installed" reveals that instead,
(1) the software was never designed to work with Windows Vista,
(2) the book falsely claims the software works with Windows Vista,
(3) Kaplan is aware that their software doesn't work with Vista, and
(4) has known this for years, but
(5) has for years deliberately chosen to neither update its software nor to update the incorrect information printed in the Requirements section of their book (which basically makes it a lie).
(6) In order to get this CD to work, you have to buy Windows XP, which is no longer supported by Microsoft, build an ISO file, download Microsoft Virtual PC, and then install an entirely new computer solely for the CD.

Basically, Kaplan is giving a big middle finger to all of its Windows Vista customers. Had I known this I would NOT have purchased this book!

Thank you - Kudos for pointing this out.

You are correct. Vista/windows7 is not technically supported but you can make it work with compatibility settings (I have succeeded at it). However, no need to fiddle with it if you have Win7 or MacOS.

However, if you have internet access (if for some members), You don't really need the CD - you have the same access to the tests online (actually have 5 tests online vs 4 on the CD).

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2010, 22:22
Hello,
I am new to this site and this is my first post here. I have decided to give GMAT exam in the next 4 months and started my journey from the valuable information given here. Thanks for all the information available here and it definitely makes any newbie life easier.

Based on book suggestions here, I have purchased 'Manhattan GMAT' set & OG Verbal/Quantitative Review guides. I am just thinking of going through the MGMAT Guide as per the numbering 1 through 8, to start with. Any suggestions on any particular sequence that I should follow ?

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2010, 07:52
aries wrote:
Hello,
I am new to this site and this is my first post here. I have decided to give GMAT exam in the next 4 months and started my journey from the valuable information given here. Thanks for all the information available here and it definitely makes any newbie life easier.

Based on book suggestions here, I have purchased 'Manhattan GMAT' set & OG Verbal/Quantitative Review guides. I am just thinking of going through the MGMAT Guide as per the numbering 1 through 8, to start with. Any suggestions on any particular sequence that I should follow ?

Thanks.

Welcome!

Don't think there is a must-have sequence. The 1-8 is a good approach - that's kind of how I studied. Tried Quant first; got comfortable with gmat and had a victory to motivate me to overcome Verbal. If you are better at verbal, consider starting with it.

Good Luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2010, 10:27
I can't even begin to thank you enough bb ! Can buy you a gift or something ? a wallet a handbag anything !
I just came back from my second try for the GMAT ,, :P

MGMAT makers should get a noble prize! don't you think ? :P ,, at least their quantitive guides should - i only had enough time to finish the sentence correction of the verbal which was also great.
Their guides have been so helpful its just amazing you get to learn so much from the very basics and they break it down so simply that you have to be an idiot not to understand :lol:

Seriously amazing books everyone should get them .. I have them to thank, along with this amazing forum which led me to them in the first for moving from 490 to 680 ! my Q from 29P to 77 ! and that's without finishing them
Obviously I'm still exited :P

Think I should try it once more time in a month of so ?

Again and again .. Thank you MGMAT ,, Thank you GMAT club ,,Thank you AMERICA ! .... okey i got a little carried away :P

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2010, 12:52
Hey everyone!
Just wanna say that I love this forum, you all are more helpful than I could have ever expected!

With that ( :-D ), I'm ready to begin studying for the GMATs and after a long search on the forum and reading amazon reviews, I've decided to purchase these 6 books. I just wanted your opinion on whether these books are good and in depth studying materials.

1. Kaplan GMAT 2011 Premier with CD-ROM (Kaplan Gmat Premier Live) [Paperback]

2. The PowerScore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible: A Comprehensive System for Attacking the GMAT Critical Reasoning Questions [Paperback]

3. The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 12th Edition [Paperback]

4. Sentence Correction GMAT Preparation Guide, 4th Edition (Manhattan GMAT Preparation Guides) [Paperback]

5. Number Properties GMAT Strategy Guide, 4th Edition (Manhattan GMAT Preparation Guides) [Paperback]

6. Word Translations GMAT Preparation Guide, 4th Edition (Manhattan GMAT Preparation Guides) [Paperback]

It boils down to the Kaplan GMAT 2011 Premier book and the OG (12th edition), 2 verbal books (Sentence Correction from Manhattan and Critical Reasoning from Powerscore), and 2 math books (Number Properties and Word Translations both from Manhattan).

Thoughts? :?:

Thanks!!!!!!! :lol:

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Best GMAT Books   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2010, 12:52

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  19    Next  [ 369 posts ]