Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Best Recommender - Current Peer or Old Supervisor? [#permalink]
you should definitely ask the supervisor - just make sure to get the person up to speed on where you are now so it's a current look at you. peers are not really appropriate unless requested.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:
Hi,

What about someone that is both a peer and a supervisor? For whatever the reason, we have a guy on our team that does not report to our manager. In fact, he reports to our manager's manager. His role is as a supervisor.

Any thoughts?

If you work with someone who is not your direct supervisor but has a higher position than you (i.e. could potentially manage you) then that would be a decent choice for a recommender.

On recommendation forms the person is asked how long they have known you and in what capacity. If someone hasn't worked with you in the last 3 years they really can't speak to your current performance, strengths, skillset, and development opportunities. MBA admissions is a game of "what have you done lately." Remember, your recommenders should have first hand experience of your accomplishments and actions (not simply an update from you about things they never witnessed). If someone is talking about their experiences with you from 5-6 years ago the adcom isn't going to see that as relevant.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:
Hi,

What about someone that is both a peer and a supervisor? For whatever the reason, we have a guy on our team that does not report to our manager. In fact, he reports to our manager's manager. His role is as a supervisor.

Any thoughts?

If you work with someone who is not your direct supervisor but has a higher position than you (i.e. could potentially manage you) then that would be a decent choice for a recommender.

On recommendation forms the person is asked how long they have known you and in what capacity. If someone hasn't worked with you in the last 3 years they really can't speak to your current performance, strengths, skillset, and development opportunities. MBA admissions is a game of "what have you done lately." Remember, your recommenders should have first hand experience of your accomplishments and actions (not simply an update from you about things they never witnessed). If someone is talking about their experiences with you from 5-6 years ago the adcom isn't going to see that as relevant.

great point. let me elaborate:

- the person is still in my team and is still a supervisor
- the person USED to report to my manager's manager (director)
- for whatever reason, outlook shows him as reporting to my manager.

now there is another dimension to this... his role has never changed but officially he is a peer now. Sure he knows me well enough, he supervises most of us everyday. i wonder if this is something we should just spin a bit since his capacity is our superior.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Engineering, English
GPA: 4.4
WE 1: Operations, Marketing
WE 2: Finance, Consulting
WE 3: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="">www.mbaadcom.com</a><!-- w -->
Send PM
Kudos
[/quote]

great point. let me elaborate:

- the person is still in my team and is still a supervisor
- the person USED to report to my manager's manager (director)
- for whatever reason, outlook shows him as reporting to my manager.

now there is another dimension to this... his role has never changed but officially he is a peer now. Sure he knows me well enough, he supervises most of us everyday. i wonder if this is something we should just spin a bit since his capacity is our superior.[/quote]

Current supervisors are not necessarily needed. Most schools understand that applying to business school can be sensitive and political in some companies. Consulting / IB / PE - it's expected that you leave after a certain amount of time. Most other companies (industry) expect you to be a lifer or to at least have a significant number of years of loyalty. Hence, in some industries, it's expected you WON'T get a recommendation from your current supervisor.

Peers are fine - BUT make sure in the recommendation that the person writes in detail about his role as your supervisor, not your peer. Make sure that that comes across clearly. The recommendation will have more weight that way. It's essential that he clarify his role that he managed / supervised / mentored / coached (whatever you think the appropriate word is) you in your current role.

HBS Grad
www.mbaadcom.com
GMAT Club Bot