Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation - GMAT(690) & 7Yr experience (IB & Consulting) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
OptimistIndian wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
OptimistIndian wrote:
Appreciate expert advice on my my profile evaluation + help on choosing right schools. I would like to go for 2 year MBA & I am planning to apply in R2. Following are my details:-

Basic:-
Nationality: Indian
Work location - New York (on H1b Work Visa)

Scores:-
GMAT: 690 (Q48, V37, IR 6)

Acads -
a) GAMT - 690
b) Electronics & Telecom Engineer from Mumbai university, India (GPA - 3+)
c) CFA Charter holder, CFA institute US
d) Passed FRM part 1, GARP US and Oracle SQL/PL-SQL certified

Work - (Current location - New York)
a) Current - 2 years - Global Business Development & Consulting in Financial services, with a boutique Big Data Analytics company (couple of years away from IPO), New York
b) 1.5 years - Quantitative and Risk Analyst, Middle office with a BB investment bank, Mumbai India
c) 1.5 years - Business Analyst - Product consulting, with SunGard, India (leading Financial Software Product Company)
d) 2 years - Business Analyst - Tech. consulting, with Indian Mid-cap IT company, worked with Top3 US bank in Corporate banking Domain
Acquired fortune 500 clients & Consulted major payment tech. provider and banks in sales & marketing Analytics

Other(Independent) Work -
1) Played a key role to market a micro-finance's in Mumbai region
2) Independent consulting for 15 months with a boutique investment bank to acquire and execute cross border M&A and PE deals (closure experience of one Japan-India deal)
3) Led Social, Knowledge and Philanthropy committees at College and all the Work Places
4) Founded a "Youth Foundation" at Local Community to Promote overall development of the School and College Students
5) Career Mentoring to new members of CFA institute Mumbai chapter. Member of CFA institute NY chapter (NYSSA)

To summarize - Total 7 years of experience (am I too old for top MBA program ?) in Technology, Consulting and Banking & Finance (across consumer, Corporate & Investment banking). Post MBA, I want to work in Technology(TMT) Investment Banking (IBD) or Large Tech firm in Corporate Strategy(LDP) or may be MBB consulting. It's getting difficult break into these roles without MBA.

I need your advice to evaluate my chances of breaking into top my target b-schools. Appreciate if yo can let me know whether my target schools are best fit for career goals and background

Broad list of my target schools (have 1 month+1 week's time and planning to apply to 4 b-schools)
Dream colleges - Wharton, Chicago, Columbia
Best fit colleges (based on low GMAT) - Stern, Tuck, Cornell, Yale, & Duke

Thanks again for your time. Looking forward to hear your expert views.

Thanks,
iOptimist.

Hello there iOptimist,
So first of all you are NOT too old!

Now that that's out of the way, let's have a look at your profile :)

The Good Stuff:
- NY-based, and international experience
- CFA charter

Neutral:
- Work experience is in a good industry, but in smaller boutique firms.

The Challenges:
- Indian/Male,
- For the schools you have on your list, a quite low GMAT for an Indian Male
- So so GPA at a non-IIT

Basically, to tell it straight up (without wanting to dash your optimism) your school list is a bit too tough. I mean, think of it this way - Yes, you have good work and a good international profile, but in Top 10 schools the majority of Indian candidates come from IITs and have more than 720s, easy... With 30+ points lesson the GMAT, plus a mid-ranged GPA, applying to ONLY Top 10 schools means for you to take a risk that you will get no admits this year.

Of course this TOO can be a valid strategy (and the backup plan would be : If I don't get in, I'll moderate my school list next year), but I just wanted to make sure you know what you were up against...

You can have a look at a post here about Indian candidates, and Top 10 B-schools: https://bit.ly/B412Mgc

Best,
JF

Hi Jon,

Thanks you so much for your quick & succinct reply. Appreciate all your help. Few follow up queries if you don't mind.

My GPA was not correct as we have % system and I scored 68% (top 25 percentile in a class) - guess 3.5+ GPA
Also, wanted to throw more data on my work. I worked with Credit Suisse for 18 months (experience (b) in last email) in supporting Front office trader with research and Analytics. I into moved to 2nd largest Indian Big Data Analytics consulting firm to get some tech+start up experience in business development+ consulting fortune 500 firms.

Since I am looking for career shift in IBD - M&A in tech/TMT space, I need MBA from top 13 (or 15) if not 10. It seems M7 colleges are out of my reach. So my revised list is as below

Dream - Tuck, Stern, Yale (any 2)
Right Fit - Cornell, Duke, Darden, & Ross (any 2)

Given my career shift plan, I am ok to take risk and restrict my self to top 13-15 schools. If I don't get this time, I am willing to retake GMAT next year and apply again.
Though age clock is ticking now to into IBD role, but current BD+ consulting profile is helping me to develop some transferable skills.

Would love to hear your views on my App strategy and revised school list

Hey there,
Got it!
Well your work experience is pretty good. I still think Top 13 schools is a bit tough with that GMAT. But you have a shot. And the thing is, if the school won't help you reach your goals, and you won't go if it's not high enough, then regardless of the chances, there's not much point in applying is there?

What I mean, is that even with this revised list your strategy is still risky. It makes more sense than what you had before. And if you are okay with this "Top or Bust" strategy, then I think it can be a good one for you,

Just make sure your applications rock,
:)

Best,
Jon
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation - GMAT(690) & 7Yr experience (IB & Consulting) [#permalink]
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Appreciate expert advice on my my profile evaluation + help on choosing right schools. I would like to go for 2 year MBA & I am planning to apply in R2. Following are my details:-

Basic:-
Nationality: Indian
Work location - New York (on H1b Work Visa)

Scores:-
GMAT: 690 (Q48, V37, IR 6)

Acads -
a) GAMT - 690
b) Electronics & Telecom Engineer from Mumbai university, India (GPA - 3+)
c) CFA Charter holder, CFA institute US
d) Passed FRM part 1, GARP US and Oracle SQL/PL-SQL certified

Work - (Current location - New York)
a) Current - 2 years - Global Business Development & Consulting in Financial services, with a boutique Big Data Analytics company (couple of years away from IPO), New York
b) 1.5 years - Quantitative and Risk Analyst, Middle office with a BB investment bank, Mumbai India
c) 1.5 years - Business Analyst - Product consulting, with SunGard, India (leading Financial Software Product Company)
d) 2 years - Business Analyst - Tech. consulting, with Indian Mid-cap IT company, worked with Top3 US bank in Corporate banking Domain
Acquired fortune 500 clients & Consulted major payment tech. provider and banks in sales & marketing Analytics

Other(Independent) Work -
1) Played a key role to market a micro-finance's in Mumbai region
2) Independent consulting for 15 months with a boutique investment bank to acquire and execute cross border M&A and PE deals (closure experience of one Japan-India deal)
3) Led Social, Knowledge and Philanthropy committees at College and all the Work Places
4) Founded a "Youth Foundation" at Local Community to Promote overall development of the School and College Students
5) Career Mentoring to new members of CFA institute Mumbai chapter. Member of CFA institute NY chapter (NYSSA)

To summarize - Total 7 years of experience (am I too old for top MBA program ?) in Technology, Consulting and Banking & Finance (across consumer, Corporate & Investment banking). Post MBA, I want to work in Technology(TMT) Investment Banking (IBD) or Large Tech firm in Corporate Strategy(LDP) or may be MBB consulting. It's getting difficult break into these roles without MBA.

I need your advice to evaluate my chances of breaking into top my target b-schools. Appreciate if yo can let me know whether my target schools are best fit for career goals and background

Broad list of my target schools (have 1 month+1 week's time and planning to apply to 4 b-schools)
Dream colleges - Wharton, Chicago, Columbia
Best fit colleges (based on low GMAT) - Stern, Tuck, Cornell, Yale, & Duke

Thanks again for your time. Looking forward to hear your expert views.

Thanks,
iOptimist.

Hello there iOptimist,
So first of all you are NOT too old!

Now that that's out of the way, let's have a look at your profile :)

The Good Stuff:
- NY-based, and international experience
- CFA charter

Neutral:
- Work experience is in a good industry, but in smaller boutique firms.

The Challenges:
- Indian/Male,
- For the schools you have on your list, a quite low GMAT for an Indian Male
- So so GPA at a non-IIT

Basically, to tell it straight up (without wanting to dash your optimism) your school list is a bit too tough. I mean, think of it this way - Yes, you have good work and a good international profile, but in Top 10 schools the majority of Indian candidates come from IITs and have more than 720s, easy... With 30+ points lesson the GMAT, plus a mid-ranged GPA, applying to ONLY Top 10 schools means for you to take a risk that you will get no admits this year.

Of course this TOO can be a valid strategy (and the backup plan would be : If I don't get in, I'll moderate my school list next year), but I just wanted to make sure you know what you were up against...

You can have a look at a post here about Indian candidates, and Top 10 B-schools: https://bit.ly/B412Mgc

Best,
JF[/quote]

Hi Jon,

Thanks you so much for your quick & succinct reply. Appreciate all your help. Few follow up queries if you don't mind.

My GPA was not correct as we have % system and I scored 68% (top 25 percentile in a class) - guess 3.5+ GPA
Also, wanted to throw more data on my work. I worked with Credit Suisse for 18 months (experience (b) in last email) in supporting Front office trader with research and Analytics. I into moved to 2nd largest Indian Big Data Analytics consulting firm to get some tech+start up experience in business development+ consulting fortune 500 firms.

Since I am looking for career shift in IBD - M&A in tech/TMT space, I need MBA from top 13 (or 15) if not 10. It seems M7 colleges are out of my reach. So my revised list is as below

Dream - Tuck, Stern, Yale (any 2)
Right Fit - Cornell, Duke, Darden, & Ross (any 2)

Given my career shift plan, I am ok to take risk and restrict my self to top 13-15 schools. If I don't get this time, I am willing to retake GMAT next year and apply again.
Though age clock is ticking now to into IBD role, but current BD+ consulting profile is helping me to develop some transferable skills.

Would love to hear your views on my App strategy and revised school list[/quote]

Hey there,
Got it!
Well your work experience is pretty good. I still think Top 13 schools is a bit tough with that GMAT. But you have a shot. And the thing is, if the school won't help you reach your goals, and you won't go if it's not high enough, then regardless of the chances, there's not much point in applying is there?

What I mean, is that even with this revised list your strategy is still risky. It makes more sense than what you had before. And if you are okay with this "Top or Bust" strategy, then I think it can be a good one for you,

Just make sure your applications rock,
:)

Best,
Jon[/quote]

Hey Jon,

Thanks for your response. Yes I am going ahead with Top or Burst strategy (with revised schools list), as lower schools won't help me achieve my goals and I'd rather grow faster without MBA or with Part time MBA in current role. I couldn't manage time well in current work. Is it appropriate to justify this by highlighting that I passed 3 levels of CFA in the first attempt ?

By the way, My colleagues at current firm are from Booth, Columbia & Kellogg, IIM, & ISB. So I always wonder if I am into a role/profile that people get in post top MBA, why can't these schools give me admit pre-MBA ? Jokes apart, thanks for your quick guidance. I want to give the best shot of my life (to cover low GMAT and curse of being Indian Male) to make it difficult for them to reject me. Will reach out to you if I need further help.

Cheers,
iOptimist.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
OptimistIndian wrote:

Thanks for your response. Yes I am going ahead with Top or Bust strategy (with revised schools list), as lower schools won't help me achieve my goals and I'd rather grow faster without MBA or with Part time MBA in current role. I couldn't manage time well in current work. Is it appropriate to justify this by highlighting that I passed 3 levels of CFA in the first attempt ?

By the way, My colleagues at current firm are from Booth, Columbia & Kellogg, IIM, & ISB. So I always wonder if I am into a role/profile that people get in post top MBA, why can't these schools give me admit pre-MBA ? Jokes apart, thanks for your quick guidance. I want to give the best shot of my life (to cover low GMAT and curse of being Indian Male) to make it difficult for them to reject me. Will reach out to you if I need further help.

Cheers,
iOptimist.

Hey IOptimist,
Well there you go! You have your strategy. :) And now, just do your best and let the cards fall where they may... I'm not sure that the CFA is a good excuse, although it certainly is helpful to have passed it all.

Wish you all the best,
JF
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts