Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 21:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, NYU
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2009, 06:57
NOTE: Roll Call Page Managed by All Global Mods

Jan 2010 and Another 2010 Threads were Merged for Simplicity

Columbia Business School - Class of 2012 Applicants

Jan 2010
Total Applicants: 2
Interview Invites:
Admitted:1
WL:
Dinged:
TXB - ACCEPTED 9/23
manojrana9 - Applying

ED
Total Applicants: 44
Admitted: 12
WL: 4
Dinged: 9
Unknown: 18
novian18- ACCEPTED 9/24 (Sub 8/20, Int Invite 9/14, Int 9/21)
eminent – ACCEPTED
malik – ACCEPTED 10/12
audrey83 - ACCEPTED 11/4
praz - ACCEPTED 11/6
imchuckbass* (JD/MBA) - ACCEPTED 11/16
flyingator - ACCEPTED 11/17
entrepreneur2015 - ACCEPTED 12/1
SBChargers - ACCEPTED 12/4
snakesonplanes - ACCEPTED (Invite 11/5)
aiken17* - ACCEPTED 12/7
radionowhere - ACCEPTED 12/21

raven52 - DEFERRED to RD 10/28
ysj231 - DEFERRED to RD 11/7
mbasc2010 - DEFERRED to RD 11/30
sapphireka - DEFERRED to RD 11/30

xlick – Dinged 10/26
vamsi142 - Dinged
hohoo - Dinged 11/6
dan2012 - Dinged 11/9
moskovybus - Dinged 11/12
ojkap - Dinged 11/20
niraja - Dinged 12/3
BangaloreKid* - Dinged 12/3
kweku415* - Dinged 12/3

timothy332 - INTERVIEW 10/19
amps* - INTERVIEW (Invite 11/11)
weaksuper - INTERVIEW (Invite 11/23)
roger3808* - INTERVIEW
theburgh - INTERVIEW
Megachaoren
triple5soul
dan2012
CrushTheGMAT
qlemon
gnz1
Vamsi142
nickTW
afan
turbo2008
mizu
freezzing
dugurong

RD
Total Applicants: 118
Interview Invites: 41
Admitted: 14
WL: 6
Dinged: 35

Aenigma (interviewed)
Anonymous13 (interviewed)
awang1283 (interviewed)
bigfernhead (interviewed)
david2008 (interviewed)
KarBare33 (interviewed)
Kiki723 (interviewed)
kohlia (interviewed)
LB20 (interviewed)
pintotowncar (interviewed)
powerka (interviewed)
sojo35 (interviewed)
techwonk (interviewed)
WaitingOn6 (interviewed)

drmang7 (interviewed)
Dunchess (interviewed)
Fruitfly (interviewed)
mbanxious (interviewed)
nsidelnik (interviewed)
zippy10 (interviewed)

aditi123
afinado (interviewed)
all
Applicant1978
bigdre
bwizzle (interviewed)
cavorter
cesc4
gkumar
goldenspaceship
greytmba
HaroldPark
hegel (interviewed)
jjdubles
jon82
jumbalaya
kkr
mbaseek12
mustafaj
nikhilashri
ntpaledo
oscar81
passivation
PleaseOhPlease
rza
SalarymanJ
SCBooth
souryab
swank6
thisisgettingtome
thescientist (interviewed)
triple5soul
unhedged
Yankees2008
yelmaya

2009mba2012
2012dreams
2012mbahopeful (interviewed)
aaj
Anya1979
atypical
azona (interviewed)
baobabt
blitz85
BostonArmyGuy (interviewed)
BSbound
Carlitos (interviewed)
cheetahfish (interviewed)
chrishelt
christinee
cozmo8
designstory (interviewed)
drew031482
ebnab (interviewed)
FChang
go2bizSkool
grv
gyhb
hellobirdieapp
hermanstood
hokiegenius
InCaseYouAsked
IndianGuardian
jmtomasz
kannagade
KBCalifornia (interviewed)
kma682 (interviewed)
kombz (interviewed)
kzslacker
laxstar320 (interviewed)
Marcus7 (interviewed)
Marescotti (interviewed)
mba2012orbust
meridian17 (interviewed)
mor
nicholasffry (interviewed)
NickTW (interviewed)
nikheel
oatwich
ozgeuyanik
Pleonasm
pmk157
prakyrules
Reality
Reeve015
righty123
rkcz
RonMexico
shadowsjc (interviewed)
shiny26
smashzone
Steppenwolf (undecided ED/RD)
superdkny
testgmattest55
thedeadlyone
theoutlawfades (interviewed)
ttocsik
vodkacran
warriorM33
westsew
whirlwind
yangsta8

Last Year's CBS F'09 thread:
calling-all-columbia-applicants-for-63151.html#p460533

Essay Topics and Deadlines:

Since the January 2010 application officially opens today at 5.PM, I thought I throw in the thread for Early Decision 2010. I know it may be a little early in the game, but has anyone else started preparing their application? This means visiting the school, talking to CBS ambassadors, drafting the essay, etc.

And good luck everyone!

A New Yorker's MBA Journey Yo!
http://xlick.blogspot.com/

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 101 [3] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 19:27
This post received
KUDOS
Well, folks, I tried for you. I really did.

I put on my big-girl shoes. I got the second manicure of my entire life. I even washed my hair. But after writing a cheat sheet on my hand and engaging in flawless mirroring behaviors, I have nothing to show you for my trouble. Because my browser crashed as I was putting the final touches on the summary of my interview that I was writing for you guys. My notes are in the fancy handbag I returned to the store the next day. My dog ate my draft. I even washed my hands.

But because I care about you all this much [vague gesturing], I'm going to try to reproduce my experience for those of you who have yet to interview.

URIS HALL

I arrive ten minutes before the appointed time and sit on the benches outside the elevators. There are probably another eight applicants waiting with me, all suited up and trembling. I stare shamelessly, searching for the brand of GMAT Club on their souls. (If one of you was there, you hid The Mark well. I am afraid I did not.) They probably think I am a decoy applicant, sent by admissions to test their politesse.

Five minutes past the hour. I walk down a short corridor honeycombed with tiny offices. I enter my assigned room. It is surprisingly well lit for a Cave of Doom. My interviewer rises, shakes my hand, engages in a bit of small talk. We sit. There is a clock behind my head and a photograph of a skyscraper behind his. At least one of these things is nice to look at.

Tell me about yourself.
-- It's impossible not to sound rehearsed when answering this question, though I've been told my fake British accent doesn't help. What can I say, I think it adds a certain air of dignity to my sordid past. In order to mitigate tales of said sordid past, I gloss entirely over my undergraduate experience and start with my employment history.

Why an MBA?
-- HaHA! You think this question was your idea, Mr. Interviewer, but really I cleverly guided you to it.

Why Columbia? -- Does this question have word limits? No? Okay! Number one, I really appreciate... [an hour elapses] Number twenty-six: ...these streets will make you feel brand-new! Big lights will inspire you!

Can you give an example of teamwork or leadership?
-- What if I told you I could give an example of... [meaningful pause] ...teamership. Eh? EH? High-five!

Can you talk about ethics? -- Indeed, old chap, I thertainly can. Itth a lovely county in England, to the northeatht of London. Pardon? Oh! ETHICS.

Talk about a time you've faced adversity. -- This one threw me off the most. I dunno. My life's had its share of trouble, but my professional adversities have been pretty banal and my personal adversities have been pretty, you know, personal. I err on the side of tear-jerking and tell him about that one time at band camp, then cleverly redirect to some of the cooler things on my resume. He probably thinks I am a decoy applicant, send by admissions to test his politesse.

What will you do if you can't go to b-school this year?
-- I basically said I'd go to Transylvania and try to increase economic opportunity for young vampires. They're ostracized for their differences, you know. Even small donations go a long way to revive the vigor of a community, though of course ideally there would be a real infusion -- even a veritable torrent! -- of, ah, cash.

Do you have any questions? -- Oh questions. So so many of you.

The interview then turned more conversational and we were both surprised when time was up. Either that or he was a good faker. I left smiling. I feel at home there. I even rode the elevators up and down a few times. I really really do like Columbia.

So in summary, I've faithfully reproduced all the questions that were asked of me and may have altered an identifying detail or two for privacy's sake. That said, I'm having a mite to drink to salve the wounds that Wharton hath willfully and woefully inflicted 'pon my sensitive soul, so let me know if I seem to have embellished or forgotten anything. In the meantime, cheers!

And, you know:
Cheerio!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [2] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 13:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys,

Here are the basics of my interview:

I emailed everyone in my list (9 people max) and got responses from 5, but only had a "I have availability" email from 2. I set up my interview with the first person that responded positively. I would recommend you email more than the first 3 people that show up in your search results, because it can be difficult to find someone with availability.

I met my interviewer at his company's office and we had the interview in his office. He said right up front that he would be sticking to the questions that Columbia asks him to cover, and he pretty much did that. Although my initial impression from him was a little intimidating, by the end of the interview I got a pretty positive vibe and I thought that he understood my story, thought my examples/answers were good, and thought I was a good candidate. I guess we'll see. I'll see what questions I can recall (in no particular order--sorry I can't remember):

-tell me about you've gotten to where you are today, looking for an MBA from Columbia
-career goals post-MBA
-ethical dilemma (Tell me about a time when you faced an ethical dilemma, how did you handle it?)
-a time you faced adversity?
-an example of teamwork you've been involved in
-what kind of a leader are you?
-tell me about a time where you disagreed with a decision that was made. What did you do about it?
-alternate career plans--if you don't get into an MBA program and also if you don't get into the industry/field you want to be in
-why Columbia?
-what were the criteria you used to choose your undergraduate school?
-anything you wish you could change about your undergraduate experience?
-what were the criteria you used to pick which b-schools to apply to?
-what other schools are you applying to?

He finished by asking me if there was anything that I wanted to add or reinforce that didn't get enough time/emphasis in my application or interview or anything I wanted him to make sure to say. He also asked if I had any questions. The interview ended up being more than an hour.

If I remember any other questions, I'll edit the post!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas (A), Stanford (D), Yale (A), CBS (A)
WE 1: Non-profit (public health)
WE 2: Finance (asset management)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 1

Interview Report [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 00:01
This post received
KUDOS
Hi folks -

Had my interview today - alum, off-campus, lasted exactly an hour. We started with a relatively informal chat, then progressed to a more structured list of questions (he literally pulled out a print-out with a list on it), and finished with my questions.

Questions:
- Walk me through your resume
- Why Columbia
- What did you look for in the schools you were applying to
- How will an MBA get you where you want to go

Then from the list:
- Situation in which you had difficulty working with someone and how you resolved it
- Situation that exemplifies your leadership style
- Situation in which you disagreed with a decision and how you handled it
- How did you choose your undergraduate institution
- What do you do in your free time

I wished I'd prepared a couple more examples, and more questions for him. Hope this helps
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 25 [2] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
Most of the interview reports are in this thread itself just go through the pages, and there is also a 2009/2008 thread with similar reports.
Also, check out blog.clearadmit.com wiki, a lot of interview questions are in there too.
Good luck with the interview!

SerialAcquirer wrote:
Guys,

I am relatively new to this website and have been following the CBS thread for few days. I am happy to inform you that I got a call for Columbia interview yesterday. At the same time, I am really sorry to hear dings for other folks. I have few dings of my own.

I could really use some help from you guys in terms of interview preparation. Can you please share with me any links where I can get a really good information on Columbia interview. Is there a separate post on Gmatclub where they discuss the interview process and experience. I did some basic google search and did get some good info. But, you folks seem very well versed in this area.

I would really appreciate any help, tips, links etc. you may have regarding interview preparation.

Thanks a lot,
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas (A), Stanford (D), Yale (A), CBS (A)
WE 1: Non-profit (public health)
WE 2: Finance (asset management)

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 06:25
This post received
KUDOS
Just got my acceptance email! It says 'a decision has been rendered', and then you log on to see what it is.
Applied 1/6, went under review 1/8, interviewed on 3/2. Good luck to everyone!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [2] , given: 25

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 04:57
This post received
KUDOS
Accepted today via phonecall.

Applied 1/07, Under Review 2/02, Int. Invite 2/22, Interview 3/08, Admitted 3/22.

Good luck to everyone waiting on those rolling admissions - hang in there.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
techwonk wrote:
Hi all -- hoping for some advice.

I only applied to a few schools, and have dinged out of all of them *except* for Columbia, with whom I interviewed a few weeks ago. Since Columbia values yield rate so highly, would it make sense to inform AdCom of my situation in some subtle way?

On one hand, I'm sure they'd be interested to know, because if they accept me, I'm going -- and that's valuable yield info. But on the other, I'm afraid it would make me look like a weaker candidate, which is complicated by the fact that I'm already considered an "oddball" candidate in that I had a poor undergraduate GPA (though I believe the rest of my application, including GMAT / WE / extracurriculars / life and career story are quite strong).

Some schools give guidance that they more or less never want to hear from candidates (e.g. Wharton), others encourage you to keep in touch (e.g. Tuck), but I haven't seen similar guidance for Columbia.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, and good luck everyone...

I am sure opinions will vary but I think that you would not want to bring up that other schools have dinged you. Not that anything is wrong with getting dinged, but my opinion would be that you don't want to highlight that other top schools have decided not to take you on because you have a low undergrad gpa.

As for whether or not to reach out...as long as you don't make a pest of yourself, why not. Let CBS know they are your top choice, let the adcom know that you have visted the other programs and feel the best "fit" with cbs. I am personally on the waitlist at CBS now, they have changed the waitlist policy and no longer want to hear from candidates unless they contact you. That is probably reflective of the tone of CBS in general but finding ways around that are possible, having a recommeder reach out to the committee or scheduling a visit and dropping by the admissions office know to let them know that you "fit" with the campus is a good way to show interest.

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
Oscar Wilde

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 08:24
This post received
KUDOS
I just got accepted on condition that I re-take the GMAT! Anyone in the same boat?? This sucks!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2010! [#permalink] New post 19 May 2009, 14:31
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in for ED. FYI, international applicants may apply before RD.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 03:24
This post received
KUDOS
They are not official yet. But they will most likely be the questions.
1) What are your short-term and long-term post-MBA goals? How will Columbia Business School help you achieve these goals? (Recommended 750 word limit)

2)Master Classes are the epitome of bridging the gap between theory and practice at Columbia Business School. View link below. Please provide an example from your own life in which practical experience taught you more than theory alone. (Recommended 500 word limit)

3)Please provide an example of a team failure of which you’ve been a part. If given a second chance, what would you do differently? (Recommended 500 word limit)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
Does anyone know if there's any advantage to submitting your application before the review period begins? Basically, I'm asking if Columbia reviews the applications in the order that they are submitted even though it's rolling admissions. Or is it more like on a random basis?

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
Roll call page updated

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 20:10
This post received
KUDOS
May be this is already seen by everyone in here...just in case
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP9qXT2- ... re=related
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2009, 20:07
This post received
KUDOS
The event had a huge turn out as expected. The panel shared interesting info about the entrepreneurship at cbs, executives in residence, career transitions and also the major advantage of being in NY. Though nothing which can't be found on the website or through blogs of current students. A friend mentioned that the event should've been called Why Columbia MBA instead, but that's not surprising. I expected it to pitch CBS and not just any MBA degree of course!

eminent wrote:
praz wrote:
I'll be there!

quote="xlick"]Couldn't have said it better Audrey : ).
Is anyone else going to the Columbia "Why MBA?" Panel tomorrow?

Enjoy guys. I'm not in NY otherwise I would swing by. Please share any interesting insights afterwards.[/quote]
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 83 [1] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 13:41
This post received
KUDOS
TXB wrote:
Admitted today!

Woah!
This must be a first this application season. Absolutely congrats man!

:woohoo
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia or bust

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 15:54
This post received
KUDOS
novian18 wrote:
Just curious, and xlick maybe you're the one to ask here, but do you get notification when the interviewer submits feedback? My interviewer said he would submit within 24 hours, and when I click "interviews" in the interview portal, my interview specifics no longer show up, but I still haven't received any confirmation from CBS. Thoughts?

It did that to me last night, and I got the "feedback submitted" email this morning.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia Business School: Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2009, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
pleonasm wrote:
xlick wrote:
You too man. I sent my interviewer a thank-you email and this is part of what she wrote back...

" Very much enjoyed ourconversation and am very supportive of you attending Columbia. Hopethat this worksout for you."

knocking on wood indeed eminent :o

Good luck xclick and everyone else who completed the interviews .. hope you guys make it.

I'm in!!!!!! ED Applicant!!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 15:22
This post received
KUDOS
megachaoren wrote:
just submitted my app...keeping my finger Xed.

Good luck! And best of luck to everyone else this week who is waiting.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2009, 05:25
This post received
KUDOS
Ladies and Gents,

I have been admitted! I am absolutely thrilled and will be submitting my deposit soon, and stopping work on all of my other apps.

Good luck to everyone else!!!
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED)   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2009, 05:25