Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink]
Kudos
For those looking for hotels when visiting Booth, just got this in the mail: $59 -- Downtown Chicago Hotel near Magnificent Mile

https://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/chicago/916161/?utm_source=top20_us&utm_medium=email_top20

https://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/chicago/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
If my alumnus interviewer doesn't respond (only one showed up in the system for the city I live in!), I'll try to trek up to Chicago! Thanks w103psp
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Send PM
osbornecox wrote:
If my alumnus interviewer doesn't respond (only one showed up in the system for the city I live in!), I'll try to trek up to Chicago! Thanks w103psp

Oh, I think that's by design. If the alum doesn't respond, email adcom and perhaps they can assign you someone else.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
dingleberries
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Booth R1 (WL), NYU R1 (WL), Kellogg JD/MBA R2, Tepper R2, Ross R2 (admit)
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Mortgage
Send PM
w103psp wrote:
For those looking for hotels when visiting Booth, just got this in the mail: $59 -- Downtown Chicago Hotel near Magnificent Mile

https://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/chicago/916161/?utm_source=top20_us&utm_medium=email_top20

Nice tip! Anyone with any experience in Chicago know how difficult it is to make it to camps from here?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
wmcrockett wrote:
w103psp wrote:

Nice tip! Anyone with any experience in Chicago know how difficult it is to make it to camps from here?

Leave very early and find out how to get to campus in advance. Many people during Booth Live were late because they caught the wrong bus. Traffic is terrible out there so plan ahead and be early.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Take a cab...Save the stress.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
I have my interview off campus tomorrow.
Any suggestions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Ross(IN–full$)
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Investment Bank
WE 2: Company in NYC
Send PM
Hey, got dinged here, so I'm now 1 and 1, for interview invites. Keep on truckin 8-)

Can anyone take a look at my slides and provide me with some feedback?

PLEEEESE!!
Attachments

Booth Slides v3.pdf [745.69 KiB]
Downloaded 243 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
kegewe wrote:
Hey, got dinged here, so I'm now 1 and 1, for interview invites. Keep on truckin 8-)

PLEEEESE!!

Boy...you have a Wharton invite and a Booth ding!!...Thats kinda unusual for me to know!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
kittu wrote:
kegewe wrote:

PLEEEESE!!

Boy...you have a Wharton invite and a Booth ding!!...Thats kinda unusual for me to know!

Btw..I just took a look at your ppt. Now, I am no expert, so please take my words with a pinch of salt. Here is what I think of the ppt:

1. Slide 1 is completely wasted in making a cover sort of thing. With only 4 slides of space, may be it could have done a better job. That being said, it is not a make or break act as I have seen successful ppts with 3 slides too.

2. The PPT talks about TECHNOLOGY...and not YOU!! Ideally, you should have used this space to tell them about yourself. While the layout and design of the ppt is neat and clean, I think it really lacked content. It tells nothing about you at all.

Just my 2 cents.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Kudos
kegewe wrote:

PLEEEESE!!

Two problems:
1) They want to know about you.
2) In minimum words.

I too learned that the hard way when I applied in 2007... though I did not commit #1 mistake
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.95
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
kittu wrote:
kittu wrote:
kegewe wrote:

PLEEEESE!!

Btw..I just took a look at your ppt. Now, I am no expert, so please take my words with a pinch of salt. Here is what I think of the ppt:

1. Slide 1 is completely wasted in making a cover sort of thing. With only 4 slides of space, may be it could have done a better job. That being said, it is not a make or break act as I have seen successful ppts with 3 slides too.

2. The PPT talks about TECHNOLOGY...and not YOU!! Ideally, you should have used this space to tell them about yourself. While the layout and design of the ppt is neat and clean, I think it really lacked content. It tells nothing about you at all.

Just my 2 cents.

First off, congrats on the interview invite to Wharton!

I completely agree with point 2. The slides should be about you, which should implicitly or explicitly demonstrate how you will benefit the Booth community. It should make the reader say: "I want this person as a classmate," and the reader should be able to provide specific reasons that are compelling and differentiated. Even more challenging but potentially more impactful is if your story demonstrates personality traits--intellectual curosity, sense of humor, community service-oriented, etc.--and makes you come alive as a person.

Technology as an overall theme is fine, but this should be a secondary focus (primary focus should be you) and must include a stronger connection to Booth. I think this connection only comes up in a paragraph on the third slide, and this mention isn't specific (maybe you talked about it in more detail in your other essays). Are there tech clubs at Booth that you plan to join and have big plans for? Any tech conferences at Booth you want to help organize? Etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Stanford, Booth, Wharton, Harvard, Kellogg, Sloan
GPA: 3.68
WE 1: 2 Years Consulting
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

I completely agree with point 2. The slides should be about you, which should implicitly or explicitly demonstrate how you will benefit the Booth community. It should make the reader say: "I want this person as a classmate," and the reader should be able to provide specific reasons that are compelling and differentiated. Even more challenging but potentially more impactful is if your story demonstrates personality traits--intellectual curosity, sense of humor, community service-oriented, etc.--and makes you come alive as a person.

Technology as an overall theme is fine, but this should be a secondary focus (primary focus should be you) and must include a stronger connection to Booth. I think this connection only comes up in a paragraph on the third slide, and this mention isn't specific (maybe you talked about it in more detail in your other essays). Are there tech clubs at Booth that you plan to join and have big plans for? Any tech conferences at Booth you want to help organize? Etc.

Ditto all of the above. I would also add that your ppt is long on assertion and short on evidence - what is it about you that makes you capable of executing on these plans? I assume you covered that in other essays, but anyone in the world can set goals, and adcom is first and foremost interested in what your past says about your future potential, so any space that isn't directly grounded in evidence from your past is ultimately wasted space that will fail to differentiate you. No one is gonna pull your app out of a long stack just because you set the right goals - even if they are laudable goals, which they are.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Ross(IN–full$)
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Investment Bank
WE 2: Company in NYC
Send PM
dundundun wrote:
Quote:

Ditto all of the above. I would also add that your ppt is long on assertion and short on evidence - what is it about you that makes you capable of executing on these plans? I assume you covered that in other essays, but anyone in the world can set goals, and adcom is first and foremost interested in what your past says about your future potential, so any space that isn't directly grounded in evidence from your past is ultimately wasted space that will fail to differentiate you. No one is gonna pull your app out of a long stack just because you set the right goals - even if they are laudable goals, which they are.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone...I definitely see what you guys are saying. Over this process I have really seen that once you outline your goals, they check the goals box off and then see what you've done so far. Good luck to everyone!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Stanford, Booth, Wharton, Harvard, Kellogg, Sloan
GPA: 3.68
WE 1: 2 Years Consulting
Send PM
Kudos
kegewe wrote:
I appreciate the feedback from everyone...I definitely see what you guys are saying. Over this process I have really seen that once you outline your goals, they check the goals box off and then see what you've done so far. Good luck to everyone!!

Good luck man - just ace that Wharton interview and nail r2 essays, one offer erases all the dings!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [3]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Stern '13
Send PM
Kudos
kegewe wrote:

PLEEEESE!!

kegewe, I know some other folks also shared their comments, which I support but I wanted to make one more time. The fact that you can easily share this powerpoint in an anonymous board somewhat speaks volumes about its content. I could have written that presentation... Someone else could have written it as well. It's not unique if it doesn't have YOU in it (not talking pictures but a description of who you are).

My non-admissions-consultant, non-adcom, non-current-student, just an MBA candidate 2 cents.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  33   34   35   36   37  ...  185   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts