Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all IE IMBA Applicants (January 2016 Intake) Class of 2016!! [#permalink]
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: THE IE EFFECT
By David Harlley 

The question of whether or not to pursue an MBA is something I pondered for years.  I never had questions about my ability to transition from engineering to business, it was more the “why” of business school that eluded me.  I am not motivated by profit margins or excited by stock prices, so it seemed a strange thing to immerse myself in a world where the gears turn incessantly towards the goal of financial reward.

I finally took the leap at the end of last year, and have been at IE for the last 3 months roughly.  The first thing I found, is that I am not alone.  In talking to other students, I have found that there are any number of reasons for pursuing an MBA, and personal wealth is rarely at the top of the list.  For many students, it is the leadership and management skills they seek to gain.  For others, it is a fuller view of the world, perhaps not offered in their previous engagements.  For others still, and particularly in the case of IE, it is about entrepreneurship, not solely for the sake of profit but because they are genuinely passionate about ideas and innovation, solving societies problems.  Almost in hindsight, I would list all of the above reasons as my reasons for doing an MBA, but stated more fully, it has become about the opportunity to deliver change.

My marketing professor, Fernando Cortinas, is one half marketing prof, one half historian.  His lectures almost always connect marketing themes to themes of history. “Wars” for market share are compared to the colonial wars of past eras, and PR campaigns are likened to the propaganda campaigns that countries engage in to advance their aims.

It is increasingly clear to me that so much of history, so much of who we are, what we experience, where we come from was driven by the world of commerce.  From colonialism to slavery to agricultural practices to globalization, healthcare, art, religion, architecture, politics.  The list goes on…..It could be argued that next to religion, commerce, and the scarcity of resources have been the biggest shapers of human history.

A year ago when I thought about business, I thought about bankers in pristine suits, doing soulless work.  That’s certainly one way to view it, that’s probably the way a lot of people within the field, and without, view it, a bunch of numbers busying themselves crunching numbers.  Today I see the chance to create, to improve, to sharpen, to feed, to clothe, to heal, to invent, to protect, to shape the course of history.  That is something that IE has given me in the short time I have been here.  Through the interactions with profs, through the course content, through the kind of students that it attracts, the IE message is clear, its brand unmistakable. This business school teaches its students to view the opportunity to engage at the top end of the business world as a privilege, one not to be taken lightly, one not to be abused.  I am proud, even lucky to be here, because I think I can say with little hesitation, that graduates of the IE IMBA will be on the right side of history.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all IE IMBA Applicants (January 2016 Intake) Class of 2016!! [#permalink]
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IE CAREERS – March 2016!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: Check out what Ezzing is upto!

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: Monetizing video: what next?
By Enrique Dans, Professor at IE Business School

Facebook has used this year’s f8 developers’ conference to launch Rights Manager, its version of YouTube’s ContentID, a platform that allows content creators to upload video clips that Facebook can monitor to prevent a problem,freebooting, that had became a real complain.

At this year’s Master in Visual and Digital Media at IE Business School I heard from any of number of students who create or manage content complain about their videos being freebooted onto Facebook — this was in the pre-revenue sharing age, Facebook’s model was introduced later— , prompting me to take my students to a quick field trip to the nearby Facebook’s offices in the Spanish capital.

The nub of the problem is that companies unable to manage what takes place on their systems are not sustainable. At the same time, to do so also requires users to flag up abuses or for creators to upload their content voluntarily to a database so it can be compared to other content on the internet, which is what Facebook is now going to do. It has created a platform that allows creators to take measures based on how much of a video was copied, what website it was posted on, or how many people have seen it, and then create alerts about freebooting. Creators can set up whitelists of sites authorized to distribute their videos, and upload unpublished videos they don’t want anyone else using even if they haven’t posted them themselves.

As everybody knows, the problem with video is how people watch it. In most cases, advertising on videos is highly intrusive and annoying. We accept this on television but that jars with the internet’s ideas of freedom, meaning that growing numbers of people are installing ad-blockers.

Pre-roll has bothersome connotations, making companies that use it unpopular, but post-roll has useless visualization, while things like overlays are either intrusive as well, or require the user to do unfamiliar things (click on the t-shirt to buy it) or simply isn’t interested in at the moment. It is widely accepted that YouTube has the most intrusive ad format within the Alphabet range of products, and the rollout of YouTube Red, a pay-to-view version that is advertising free, seem to be enjoying growth and financial results justifying its development. What Facebook can do along these lines, beyond suggesting other content or links at the end of the video, or simply count properly how many replays are automatically generated, is still a mystery.

For Facebook, making the platform attractive for content creators is a paramount issue. Livestreaming has become an obsession for Mark, to the point that he is willing to pay companies and celebrities to create livestreaming videos from anywhere, from the red carpet in an event, to more mundane situations, or tomanipulate its recommendation algorithms to prioritize and make those videos more prominent in the users’ timelines. Facebook is definitely trying to beat YouTube in the video panorama, in a territory that the video giant used to dominate almost exclusively just a few years ago, and the Rights Management Platform was definitely one of the required elements for that. For a number of marketing executives, Facebook is becoming the natural place to unveil native campaigns or to recirculate their TV ones, and many videos that turn viral are starting to circulate on Facebook even before they make it to YouTube. Regarding monetization, though, Google is clearly leading the path with YouTube Red, and the subscription or payment model seems to be difficult for Facebook, which has not even explored these type of alternatives.

We ain’t see nothing yet…

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: Congratulations Cecilia!

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: Storytelling for Talent!
On 31 March, 2016 the Luxury Goods & Services Club was delighted to host their first “Storytelling for Talent” event with mba arena, powered by LinkedIn. The mba arena is a global community of influencers creating smart spaces, where leaders share inspiring personal and business growth stories with international management audiences. The LinkedIn mba arena series of events is supported by leaders from the world’s best brands.

The topic was Sustainability in the Luxury sector. This was a moderated conversations between Gael Gonzalez, Sustainability Manager at LOEWE and Maria Eugenia Giron, Executive Director for IE Business School Premium and Prestige Business Observatory who be discussing Sustainability in the Luxury sector, with a focus on LOEWE.

The exciting element to this event is that it is filmed and there is a key focus on mba students and their post career plans. Students are encouraged to engage and ask questions about the hiring process, how to differentiate themselves and key elements about the culture of the company. Post event, the footage is sent to mba arena who edit it and share it with LinkedIn.

This is an excellent opportunity to build up the IE brand along with 7 other top business schools who have been chosen to pilot this mba arena initiative being; LBS, IESE, HEC, INSEAD, Chicago Booth, HULT, CASS, Imperial, Manchester, Cranfield.  

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IMBAs shines at the IESE Spring Games 2016!
Congrats guys! Keep bleeding blue..!

PRO BEACH VOLLEYBALL

1st IESE – Jaime / Daniel

2nd IE – Slim / Amanda

3rd IESE – Paula / Rodrigo

RUGBY

Men’s

1st IESE

2nd INSEAD 1

3rd IE

Mixed

1st Bocconi

2nd INSEAD

3rd IESE

FOOTBALL

Men’s

1st IESE 1

2nd IESE 2

Women’s

1st ESADE

2nd IESE

BASKETBALL

Men’s

1st IESE

2nd INSEAD

Women’s

1st IESE

2nd IE

CRICKET

1st HEC

2nd IESE

VOLLEYBALL

1st IE

2nd IESE

TENNIS

Singles

1st INSEAD – Victor

2nd Bocconi – Darya

3rd IESE – Mathias

Doubles

1st IESE – Mathias / Rocio

2nd Bocconi – Darya / Ben

PADEL

1st IESE – Carles / Zulema

2nd IESE – Gabriel / Larissa

SALSA

1st IE

2nd IESE 1st Years

3rd IESE 2nd Years

BADMINTON

Singles

1st HEC

2nd IESE

Men’s Doubles

1st HEC

2nd HEC

Mixed Doubles

1st HEC

2nd HEC

RUNNING

5K Men’s

1st INSEAD – Sam

2nd Bocconi – Fabian

3rd IESE – Matthew

5K Women’s

1st INSEAD – Tessa

2nd Bocconi – Michelle

3rd INSEAD – Ye

10K Men’s

1st IESE – Carlos

2nd Bocconi – Luca

3rd INSEAD – Raphael

10K Women’s

1st IESE – Caroline

2nd IESE – Belen

SAILING

1st IE 1

2nd LBS-2

3rd IE-2

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IE Foundation Prizes

One of the key aspects of IE mission, of our whole academic community, is the humanistic point of view, the capacity to have another voice and another way of looking at things, of seeing and articulating possible new meanings.

In order to foster further the presentation before the whole IE community of such other voices and insights from our students and former students, the IE Humanities Center, our research and teaching  center specialized in the Humanities, convenes in collaboration with IE Foundation the IE Foundation Prizes in the Humanities.

The IE Foundation Prizes in the Humanities are convened in four different categories: Short story in Spanish and in English, Poetry in Spanish and in English, Short Film and Photography, and they are opened exclusively to students of IE and alumni.

The three best works in each category or subcategory will be duly recognized. The prizes, granted by IE Foundation, will consist of a collective print edition of the awarded pieces together with a pen-drive of their digital versions together with the awarded short films. The edition will have a distribution of 1,500 copies, a hundred of which will be given to each winner for their personal, non-commercial use.

We encourage you to participate and show your capacity for expressing yourself with another voice or another vision, so we can all realize it.

If you want to participate or further information, please click here

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IMBA Talent Forum

We recently had the IMBA Talent Forum  from April 19th – April 21st.

Some of the companies that came in to recruit were:

AB InBev
Carrefour Spain
International Committee of the Red Cross

Alfa Consulting
El Tenedor
KONE

Altamira Asset Management
Elly Lilly
London Consulting Group

Altran Business Consulting
Enzen Global
Minsait By Indra

Amadeus IT Group S.A.
Logista
Nfoque Advisory Services

Amazon
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Odgers Berndtson Management Consultants

Axa Seguros Generales S.A.
HILTI
Polyglot Group

AYESA
Hotelbeds Group
Prosegur

British American Tobacco
HUAWEI
Securitas Direct

BTS
IBM
UBS

Its was a full house and to quote Joan Enrique , one of our IMBA alums who was also recruiting at this fair –

“I met several IMBA and EXMBA students during my attendance to the talent forum. I found IMBA students very interested in consulting. Most of the management consulting companies require an MBA, as well as at least 3 languages and a strong professional experience. Therefore, I truly believe that there is a lot of potential in most of the students I met.

I am very impressed of the great diversity that I found; I see that every year the ie MBA class is mot only more competitive but also more diverse. I met students from USA, India, Indonesia, Colombia, Argentina, Venezuela, Mexico, Germany and Spain, who were really talented and could be a great addition to our company.”

Joan currently works as Management Consultant in Alfa consulting – an international consulting company focused in strategic and business operations.

We congratulate IE Careers on the success of the fair and wish the students all the luck with the prospects ahead!

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: The Post-MBA Career Triple Jump
By Steven Myslinski

As my MBA at IE Business School came to a close, I found myself wondering how this will all work out. I was a software engineer from the automotive industry in Detroit, MI, USA. Now I was looking for work in business development or sales, in the tech industry, somewhere in Europe. This in the MBA world is know as a triple jump. Attempting to change job function, industry and location. At every business school this is considered the hardest thing to do, to change all three at the same time. Some people are lucky enough to do it and many fail. It’s not for lack of trying, but many times is due to lack of networking, lack of language skills or lack of experience. In hindsight, I wish that I would have known how hard this feat was before I started my pursuit of an MBA, but maybe I can help the next wave of people looking for a change through getting their MBA.

If you are attempting the triple jump, you need to be prepared! The cold dose of reality is that companies will not be beating down your door to hire you just because you have an MBA from a good school. You will be competing against the best candidates from all over the world. Keep in mind when attempting the triple jump that you will be competing for jobs against people that have worked in that location, job function, industry or any combination of the three, so that means you must be that much more prepared than they are to succeed.

This means planning! Research the location, the industry that you’re aiming to work in and the job function. If you don’t have the experience then at least you can try to attain the knowledge. Of course you can find a wealth of information on just about any topic with a quick search of the internet, but that really only gives you a portion of the information you need. You need to start contacting people! The triple jump isn’t for the wall flower. Getting first hand knowledge from people that have been there is the best research. And don’t stop at one person! Ask as many people as you can. Use tools like Facebook, LinkedIn and your personal network. I must have talked to well over 40 people about so many different facets of my search. Talking to people also helped me narrow down where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do. I thought about being a banker, a consultant or any number or things, but after talking to people, it helped me see that while these are great jobs for some people, it didn’t really fit for me. I did this for all the things I was considering, including location and industry as well. Generally people are more than willing to help. Don’t just send a connection request and start blurting out your questions. Take the time to find out who your talking to and let them know who you are and also don’t forget to say thank you and ask for permission to follow up with them if you have more questions. Finally on my rant for talking to people, please pay it forward! Many people that I knew and didn’t know were willing to take time out of their day to talk to me and share their experiences when they didn’t have to. I will do the same when anyone asks me and I hope that you will too.

Of course there are other things you should be doing outside of research. Commit! If you are looking for a job in a place where you don’t speak the language, then you need to start learning. Sometimes just showing that you are attempting to learn the language is enough for the employer, and if they feel confident that you will continue to learn and become more fluent, it could get you the job! Also, keep in mind skills needed for the job. For instance, you might be looking at a job that involves big data and it might be a good idea to learn about the technology behind it as well as maybe some programming. You might not need deep knowledge for the job but the more you know, the more you stand out! Also, for many of my friends, visas are a huge pain point. Do your research on how visas work in your target destination and how the laws work for your specific nationality. Anything you can do to be in the place where your searching will increase your odds of getting interviews and possibly the job.

My last suggestion is to stay committed and believe that it’s a question of WHEN not IF you get the job you want, in the industry you want, in the location you want.

As for me, with a combination of research (online and talking to many people), working hard on my German, leveraging my network and previous experience, I found a job in sales, in the tech industry, in Europe!

Good luck to everyone trying to make the jump!

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: Michelle Beretti speaks to Poets & Quants!
2016 Best MBAs: Michelle Beretti, IE Business School

by Jeff Schmitt – Author, Poets & Quants

“The biggest lesson I gained was to be comfortable with uncertainty. I now feel comfortable and confident making decisions with limited information. Outsiders believe that the hard skills are the most important learnings of business school, but I don’t believe that they are; the most important lessons in my opinion are the ability to adapt, interpret and to remain humble, while achieving great milestones.”

Hometown: Cape Town, South Africa

Undergraduate School and Degree: University of Cape Town (UCT), Master of Social Science (Organizational Psychology & Management Studies)

Where did you work before enrolling in business school? Accenture, Management Consultant

Where did you intern during the summer of 2015? I took advantage of the time between Term 1 and Term 2 (summer break) to travel across Europe, exposing myself to new cultures , meeting new people and ultimately expanding my network.

Where will you be working after graduation? I am currently looking for opportunities within the technology sector in Europe, where I can leverage my consulting experience and MBA skills in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.

Community Work and Leadership Roles in Business School:

President of the Luxury Goods & Services Club – our Club has been selected by MBA Arena to partner with LinkedIn on a knowledge sharing initiative along with eight other top business schools.

Board member of the Diversity Club, which was launched six months ago in conjunction with IE Business School’s Centre for Diversity in Global Management.

Involved with on-boarding the new MBA intake through holding presentations and sharing key learnings.

Which academic or extracurricular achievement are you most proud of during business school?

Being chosen as the Commencement Speaker for the new January 2016, IE Business School MBA intake (350+ audience). I was honored to be selected since it is a great opportunity to share my personal story with those who have not even begun to embark on their business school journey. The introspection and reflection to tackle a task such as this is immense but the positive affirmation received afterward is unbeatable.

What achievement are you most proud of in your professional career?

Being selected for the Brightest Young Minds (BYM) Summit in 2014. BYM is a 15 year old non-profit company that exists to create a positive social impact through identifying, connecting and mobilizing individuals and projects. Each year, 1,500 individuals across Africa apply and 100 are selected to participate in the Summit in Johannesburg, South Africa, where the focus is on making life-changing ideas flourish. I believe that this is an honor as BYM identify individuals who have demonstrated their commitment to positive social change through their actions. Coming together with other young leaders across Africa to work on social and environmental challenges throughout the week was a huge inspiration and I felt honored to be involved.

Favorite MBA Courses?

Entrepreneurial Venturing, Critical Management Thinking and Intelligence Tools for Business People

Why did you choose this business school?

I chose IE based on a number of key factors:

Reputation: IE has been consistently ranked in the top cluster for their full-time MBA program (Financial Times).

Diversity: IE Business School drives and embraces unconventional thinking and has created an ecosystem where students can benefit from the knowledge and the experience of their peers. My intake is comprised of individuals from over 65 different countries interacting, engaging and solving problems together on a daily basis. Since there are two intakes per annum, students are afforded the opportunity to network with both the previously enrolled and post enrolled intakes to increase their access to contacts.

Location: Being located in Spain’s capital City, is definitely one of IE Business School’s competitive advantages since it brings with it the ability to network both inside and outside of the school with ease.

Focus on entrepreneurship: IE Business School was founded by entrepreneurs and the entrepreneurial spirit forms an integral part of the IE environment. Companies are looking for entrepreneurially-minded individuals who demonstrate traits such as persistence, determination, independence and ownership.

What did you enjoy most about business school?

The community of people (both the students and administration), the case method and emphasis on team work. I had fantastic classmates and our section is very close and connected. Everyone had their own reasons for enrolling in the program, but each of us was focused on improving or advancing some aspect of our lives. I’ve enjoyed interacting with smart and respectful people on a daily basis and making lifelong friends across the world. Mark Zuckerberg once said – “A lot of the time the experts, the people who are supposed to be able to tell you what to do, will tell you that you cannot do something even when you know you can. And a lot of the time it’s your friends who tell you you can do it.” I urge those who are enrolling in an MBA program to embrace your peers, cherish the connections and make time to help each other.

What is the biggest lesson you gained from business school?

The biggest lesson I gained was to be comfortable with uncertainty. I now feel comfortable and confident making decisions with limited information. Outsiders believe that the hard skills are the most important learnings of business school, but I don’t believe that they are; the most important lessons in my opinion are the ability to adapt, interpret and to remain humble, while achieving great milestones.

What was the most surprising thing about business school?

What surprised me the most was how much I learned from my peers, both inside and outside of the classroom. Diversity is a major plus at IE Business School – the different experiences and perspectives are what makes the program that much more enriching. The cultural diversity and openness to change with 65 different nationalities learning together in one place is very rewarding. It is a place where your cultural, religious or ideological background adds tremendous value to an already diverse student body.

What was the hardest part of business school?

Being able to say no. If you’re the type of person who wants to be involved in everything, know that it will be impossible. It was incredibly difficult to narrow down and focus on what I really wanted to be involved in and what I didn’t. You will not have the time to do everything so pick wisely. Through the process I learned that it takes courage to say no to certain tasks, but it is also an instrument of integrity and a shield against exploitation.

I knew I wanted to go to business school when…I listened to my friends discuss their exhilarating, challenging and life-changing experiences at business school.”

If I hadn’t gone to business school, I would be…missing out on an amazing experience!”

Which executive or entrepreneur do you most admire?

Yusuf Randera-Rees, CEO and Co-Founder at Awethu Project in South Africa.

Yusuf gave up a career in investment banking to build an incubator to help previously disadvantaged young South Africans build sustainable businesses for the future. What started as a ZAR60k project has grown into a company with millions of Rands to invest in their vision. Hundreds of entrepreneurs have been incubated over the past six years and thousands of lives have been improved as a result. I admire Yusuf for his down to earth nature, inspiring attitude, sense of humor and his ability to choose the harder, but ultimately more rewarding, path in life. I’ve completed a consulting project at Awethu and I’ve seen Yusuf speak in public on a number of occasions. His ability to capture the attention of his audience is quite something.

What are your long-term professional goals?

In the long term, I’d like to set up my own business. I am passionate about internet/online businesses and how ‘unbanked’ individuals can access resources, especially in places like Africa. I’d like to focus on access to education through electronic means. Driven by ruthless curiosity and the determination to build a better world, I believe compassion uncoupled of practical skills is futile and that information is power. Imagining possibilities beyond what is already obvious inspires me to live with a contagious enthusiasm.

Who would you most want to thank for your success?

I would thank my parents and mentors around me – who raised me to be very resilient and to be curious about the world around me. I’ve been encouraged to cultivate and create opportunities and have always been supported when embracing them. If you don’t live your dream, someone else will.

Fun fact about yourself:

Bungee jumping over the Zambezi River off the bridge between Zambia and Zimbabwe (technically in no-mans-land), 111 metres high, spanning the magnificent Batoka Gorge. Fortunately I tempted fate 4 months before the rope snapped and an Australian woman fell into the river – luckily surviving.

Favorite book: All the Light We Cannot See – Anthony Doerr

Favorite movie: Hotel Rwanda

Favorite musical performer: Coldplay

Favorite television show: Homeland

Favorite vacation spot: Tulum, Mexico

Hobbies? Yoga, Pilates, Barre

What made Michelle such an invaluable addition to the class of 2016?

“Upon meeting Michelle, one can immediately recognize that she is a natural leader. As an initiative taker with a great attitude, she quickly became a great influence among her peers. She was chosen to give an inspirational speech at the commencement of our most recent MBA intake and currently is Board member of the Diversity club as well as President of the Luxury Goods & Services club. Both roles she continues to perform to-date, achieving great results and making IE Business School proud!” — Erik Schie, Associate Dean, MBA Program, IE Business School

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IMBA IN PRACTICE
By Jimena Quiroz                                                                          

During the third period of the IMBA program, students have the chance to participate in the Start Up or Business Transformation Labs, or alternatively to find an internship program. As I would like to work in a different country following the IMBA, I wanted to explore the possibility of doing an internship there to assess potential employment opportunities. Also, I wanted to use this opportunity to try out a different discipline within the financial world. Despite the short amount of time that the internship would last, I could obtain more information on important knowledge gaps and choose my elective courses accordingly.

Having worked for a banking institution for most of my professional career, I wanted to find an internship that could allow me to explore and learn from a more social and humanistic side of finance. As a Mexican, I am deeply aware of the income inequality gap in most emerging economies, and I feel compelled to contribute to reducing the poverty cycle. Thus, I looked amongst several funds across Latin America, all of which provided funding either to microfinance corporations or directly to small and medium enterprises (“SMEs”) lacking technical and financial resources. Most funds did not have internship programs open at the time, but, fortunately, a Private Equity dedicated to impact investing had an opening, for which I applied and was hired for a 7-week period.

My overall experience working at the fund was truly enriching from a personal and a professional perspective. During my time working as an intern, I managed to improve my time management skills, especially when working under two different managers. The latter combined with patience and hard work allowed me to overcome knowledge gaps, and gain managers´ trust. Additionally, being new in the Private Equity world, this experience helped me understand a different side of finance, opening a new set of career paths I could potentially pursue after completing my MBA.

Aside from acquiring tangible technical capabilities such as financial valuation and portfolio investment techniques, one the most valuable lessons that I learned came from the fund´s business model in itself. This experience made me realize that a company can both generate profitable returns and have an impact on society, or that flexible work environments can surprisingly result in deliverables of the highest standards from highly-motivated employees. My perspective on the financial world and its underlying dynamics was positively changed with this experience. I recommend all of those interested in changing their career track after the IMBA to try to find an internship. There is no better way to truly understand the fundamentals of unknown business areas than through personal experience.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: IE IMBAT!
By Olivia Lu

MBAT is an annual sport tournament for MBA students across Europe hold by HEC Paris. Some Master students can participate under a certain percentage if they are chosen to represent for their school. There were 1500 participants, 17 business schools and 25 different kinds of sports this year. The tournament lasted for three days and three nights with three different parties.

The audition and enrollment were at the beginning of February. At first, I hesitated about participating since there were not so many people from MIM program and we had to pay quite an amount for participating fee.

As a MIM student, this was definitely a great chance to work with MBA students and to expand my networking. Throughout the tournament, we do not care about which program we come from, we are all from the IE family, cheering, sweating and competing together. The team spirit was the most important element for this event.

For the past few months, I have been working with my team every day after classes. The process of choosing songs, places, choreography wasn’t easy to reach agreements. However, we continue working as a team to represent IE. I believe that in IE, we all have different goals, however, for MBAT, we all have the same goal – to win the tournament as a team. The extra expense and time we dedicated paid off our results – gold medals for salsa team, male basketball team, rugby team, several silver and bronze medals for other sports and also the hottest athlete award!

This cherish moment marks one of the highlights in my MIM life. I am glad that I continued this MBAT journey with my salsa team and I am truly honored to represent on one of the IE teams.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: Bye-bye keys, hello heart rate?
By Enrique Dans, Professor, IE Business School

Google has just announced that its Project Abacus, launched a year ago, will beavailable for Android developers by the end of the year. The project, which some have dubbed “creepy”, involves replacing passwords with a collection of data based on user behavior, including how somebody types of walks, their location, voice characteristics and facial recognition, on which an accumulative trust score is built that works as authentication.In practice, the project is basically about continuous biometrics, constant monitoring through sensors that establish if we are who we say we are. The idea is to eliminate the need for passwords, identification numbers or other approaches that so far have proved to be neither particularly effective and that can become burdensome when repeated over and over each time we use a device.

Combining these kinds of projects and technologies with electronic payment methods creates scenarios that while still a long way from being ready for daily use, offer tremendous potential. The progressive sensorization of more and more devices converts somebody’s identity into a collection of data generated by certain behaviors, meaning we can relax some requirements if we are reasonably confident that identification has been carried out by other means. For example,fingerprint identification is not that secure, given that our prints are probably already all over the device in question, but aside from making it harder for another person to try to impersonate us, raising a series of other challenges.

The fingerprint sensor on a smartphone, for example, requires a sufficient degree of precision so as to identify a print the clarity of which can be affected by different circumstances. This involves fine tuning: too much and we may find that we are unable to open our own device.

Which is why there is a backup in the form of a PIN. But we’ll probably end up disconnecting the fingerprint recognition system if we find that we are regularly having to use the PIN because of problems with it.

With biometrics, these kinds of problems are avoided: it’s not about identifying somebody on how they walk, by their facial features, their location, their voice, or even their heart rate, but by a combination of these factors, in the same way that device fingerprinting works: if you are somewhere like your home or your office, then the precision with which the other identification requirements match can be relaxed, or if the combination of other factors add up to a positive ID, then other data probably won’t be needed.

The paradox is clear: in today’s world, objects such as keys no longer make much sense, and there are any number of other alternatives that would make them redundant (and in my case would mean I no longer have to worry about where I left them)… but keys are still the way that 99 percent of us to open doors. It’s the same when it comes to unblocking devices: greasy hands can prevent prints being read properly, and somebody can look over our shoulder when we tap in our numbers, but it’s the way most of us go about opening our smartphone or tablet. At the end of the day, all we’re looking to do here is find a reasonable balance between security and comfort, bearing in mind that there are now more and more variables we can use.

Are we ready for our devices to recognize us from our biometric data? Is this something we find disturbing, or are we prepared to open up in this way to make life easier?

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: EPIC Award – My Web´Art
By Bianca Hutin

Thank you everyone for this amazing EPIC Award I received last night at the IE Alumni Forum in Madrid, in the category “Young   & Ambitious Mind”. My Web’Art is rising and ready to reach the stars! Thanks a million for making it happen!

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: Career Journeys The Future of Work 24/05/2016
Career Mentor and Associate Professor Amber Wigmore and Marie Lietard Montigny, IE Business School MIM candidate talk about careers, LinkedIn, cultures, communicaion, life and more!

https://us.ivoox.com/es/career-journeys-the-future-of-work-24-05-2016-audios-mp3_rf_11648072_1.html

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM IE Business School - International MBA Blog: Career Journeys – The Future of Work!
Career Mentor and Associate Professor Lourdes Ruiz del Portal, Amber Wigmore(Director of Career Advising in the IE Career Management) and Marie Lietard Montigny (IE Business School MIM candidate) talk life, communication, cultures, job search, finding your true passion and more!

https://us.ivoox.com/es/career-journeys-the-future-of-work-24-05-2016-audios-mp3_rf_11648072_1.html

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts