Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 18:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 07:02
Just submitted R1. And so it starts...

University of Georgia - Terry College of Business
Full-time MBA Class of 2013
Terry College of Business Thread on GMATCLUB
On twitter: http://twitter.com/TerryMBA
On FB: http://www.facebook.com/TerryMBA

Current Student
Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 07:05
thedarklard wrote:

Good luck! I'm looking forward to hearing how interviews go.
Current Student
Schools: Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 09:21
mc wrote:
RogerDodger wrote:
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
I just submitted Part 1 and will wait to visit before I submit Part 2 (essays done). Off to the races!

Nice! Congrats on finishing the essays way ahead of schedule.

Quick question - how much time are you spending on these essays? Not sure if I'm spending too much time, or not enough. I think I'm averaging about 16+ hours on each.

For actual writing, I think there's a good chance I'll spend close to 16 hours on each, (I'm waiting until R2). If you consider all the research and brainstorming, it's probably more.

Thanks MC - that makes me feel better. I'm also re-targeting for R2 based on how long these are taking me. Hard pill to swallow (I was originally planning on all 5 schools for R1, now 3 of those are slipping to R2) but I realize that my profile (GMAT and GPA in particular) is not a homerun so my essays need to be stellar.

Side note: When is everyone scheduled for their interview? Mine is in November. Never visited Chicago in the winter but I hear it get's pretty darn chilly.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 09:57
RogerDodger wrote:
Never visited Chicago in the winter but I hear it get's pretty darn chilly.

I've been in Alaska in January and I've been in Chicago in January. Chicago wins the "coldest" contest by a mile. Never felt cold like that before.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 10:00
Is there anywhere on the Round 1 portion to list post-undergraduate extension courses you've taken? I can only find the inputs for graduate degrees. Anyway, I'd love to input my extension courses.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 18:15
mc wrote:
thedarklard wrote:

Good luck! I'm looking forward to hearing how interviews go.

Thanks mc, will definitely keep everyone here updated.

University of Georgia - Terry College of Business
Full-time MBA Class of 2013
Terry College of Business Thread on GMATCLUB
On twitter: http://twitter.com/TerryMBA
On FB: http://www.facebook.com/TerryMBA

Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 32

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 22:32
Submitted Part 1 , a couple of days back . Did anybody get calls for off campus interviews yet ?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth class of 2013
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 09:16
sanlitun wrote:
Submitted Part 1 , a couple of days back . Did anybody get calls for off campus interviews yet ?

I'm still waiting. I submitted Part 1 last week.

My profile
My GMAT experience

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Ross: R1, Insead, ISB R2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 15:55
Thanks wiredo. Thats something like what Ross is asking for on their essays so sounds like a good guideline.

wiredo wrote:
LEtranger wrote:
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but does anyone know what format (font, spacing, document type etc) the essays have to be in? The only instruction I found in the application was for a 1 inch margin at the top of the page.

Thanks in advance,

Hmm ... I hadn't thought about this yet. I think I'll stick to the following format though
Document type: PDF
Margin: 1 inch all around
Font/size: Times New Roman, size 11
Spacing: Not sure yet
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Ross: R1, Insead, ISB R2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 16:02
Avernusaur wrote:
Michmax3 wrote:
The top part of the recommendation letter form has a place for you to waive your rights and sign etc. Do I need to sign this and give the to my recommender for them to fill out the rest and actually upload this exact form? Or do they type in their answers after they receive the link from the school?

For Kellogg, the recommenders upload their recommendation as a Word document or PDF. For all of the schools, your recommenders will receive an email with a link to the recommendation page.

There is a 2-4 page limit for the recommendations. I am guessing this is for the total of all questions, and not for each of the 5 questions?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 08:47
Was looking for some advice on how to approach this:

I reached out to a Kellogg alum (husband of my wife's friend) to learn more about Kellogg and get some advice, etc. We had a great conversation over a couple beers - he was honest about things he liked and didn't like about Kellogg, and I shared some mistakes I've made and problems with my application.

I found out last night that he was going to be interviewing applicants in my area. Should I request an off-campus in an effort to get him as my interviewer (It's pretty likely I'd get him - he said there was only one more alum in the area)? Would he maybe use things I told him against me? Would he even be allowed to interview me, or would he be expected to decline?

I was originally planning on an on-campus interview, but I may try to work this to gain a bit of an advantage...I'm just not sure if it's worth it.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 15:03
Hey guys

anyone with insight into recommendations. I'm thinking about asking one from my direct manager and one from another manager within the business (my relationship with her is more through our company's affinity group. I've worked for her in that capacity, organizing conferences, community service and networking events etc.)

My question is whether a formal relationship is expected with your recommender
(e.g. a former supervisor, previous employer, client, etc.)

appreciate any insight :)

Thanks guys
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 15:12
bpenn wrote:
RogerDodger wrote:

I've been in Alaska in January and I've been in Chicago in January. Chicago wins the "coldest" contest by a mile. Never felt cold like that before.

:shock: Better pack some gloves.

Matador - this is just my personal opinion, but I think you're safe here. Schools seem to stress the importance of having a current supervisor (or client, etc. if you don't have a supervisor) for at least one recommendation. Since that base is covered, I'd say another manager who knows you in a different light would be fine, and probably a good thing, since they can speak to another aspect of your candidacy.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 15:24
mc wrote:

I reached out to a Kellogg alum (husband of my wife's friend) to learn more about Kellogg and get some advice, etc. We had a great conversation over a couple beers - he was honest about things he liked and didn't like about Kellogg, and I shared some mistakes I've made and problems with my application.

I found out last night that he was going to be interviewing applicants in my area. Should I request an off-campus in an effort to get him as my interviewer (It's pretty likely I'd get him - he said there was only one more alum in the area)? Would he maybe use things I told him against me? Would he even be allowed to interview me, or would he be expected to decline?

I was originally planning on an on-campus interview, but I may try to work this to gain a bit of an advantage...I'm just not sure if it's worth it.

Hmm, that's an interesting situation you're in. My first thought is he'd probably be expected to decline and the other alum would interview you, but of course I could be wrong. Whether or not he interviews you, you'll still have to answer the same questions. I suppose the 'stress factor' would be significantly lower since you already know the guy, but if you're a good in the hot seat, that's going to be a wash anyway. My real concern is what items (problems with application, mistakes) you discussed during your initial meeting. I'm sure none of them were show-stoppers, but if they are leaning that way, I probably wouldn't want my interviewer walking in knowing about them beforehand.

I also recently found out that a client director that works in the same org as me is a Kellogg alum, and he's a very nice guy. Too bad I already scheduled an on-campus :?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 15:32
RogerDodger wrote:
bpenn wrote:
RogerDodger wrote:

:shock: Better pack some gloves.

Matador - this is just my personal opinion, but I think you're safe here. Schools seem to stress the importance of having a current supervisor (or client, etc. if you don't have a supervisor) for at least one recommendation. Since that base is covered, I'd say another manager who knows you in a different light would be fine, and probably a good thing, since they can speak to another aspect of your candidacy.

Thanks RD, appreciate the quick response
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg R1 (waitlist), LBS R1 (waitlist), Ivey+$$$
WE 1: Program Management / Marketing / Technology Integration

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 11:32
I just set up a date with my off-campus alum interviewer. Anyone else received the off-campus interview email yet?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Ross, Sloan, Chicago, Kellogg & Darden
WE 1: Energy (Sales)
WE 2: Energy (Corporate Development)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 39

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 11:56
I received it yesterday!! Haven´t arranged a date yet though
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 12:09
I am in for R2
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 06:03
mc wrote:

It sounds like something that could definitely work to your advantage if he's willing to help you out, but it's also unethical. Based on the training for alum interviewers and the honor code, there's a good chance that he won't be able to interview you (conflict of interest). As to whether he would hold things against you, I guess that depends on your relationship.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 06:47
Avernusaur wrote:
mc wrote:

It sounds like something that could definitely work to your advantage if he's willing to help you out, but it's also unethical. Based on the training for alum interviewers and the honor code, there's a good chance that he won't be able to interview you (conflict of interest). As to whether he would hold things against you, I guess that depends on your relationship.

Thanks for the insight. I think I'll schedule an on-campus interview regardless.
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants!   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2010, 06:47