Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship/Finance
Schools:McCombs Class of 2012
 Q42  V48
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: excessive volunteering
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: IT-Systems
Schools:Mccombs
Send PM
Re: Calling All Texas-McCombs Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
just checked the website, and i got waitlisted. definitely disappointed, but this is far better than a ding.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Got the ding today via online portal; no letter, etc.

Good luck to everyone waiting for a decision!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Booth (admit after R1 waitlist), Wharton (R2 ding), Harvard (R2 ding), Darden (R2 waitlist), McCombs (ding after waitlist)
Send PM
Kudos
I know this is completely different from the school being a good fit, but Austin is an excellent place to spend 2 years. The weather is tolerable year round, and there is plenty to do while you are not in class. You can find a very nice apartment for cheap if you are willing to commute a few miles.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Booth (admit after R1 waitlist), Wharton (R2 ding), Harvard (R2 ding), Darden (R2 waitlist), McCombs (ding after waitlist)
Send PM
Kudos
Got an interview invitation on Sunday, so it looks like they are reviewing applications relatively quickly. My last recommendation went in on Friday.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
erwe422 wrote:
Alright, well you can add me to the list. My application was completed 10/29 and I got an interview invite 11/1. Still e-mailing the person I'm having the interview with, but it looks like it will be on 11/4.

congrats on the invite.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT, UCLA, Texas
 Q45  V38
Send PM
Kudos
texasorbust wrote:
asianstyles wrote:
Had my on campus interview today. I think it went well. Typical questions that everyone else mentioned. It went by pretty quick. Was about 20 to 25 minutes long. Although it was short, I felt I sufficiently answered each question.

Did you hit up any BBQ?

I attended the McComb's MBA Roadshow in DC last night, sounds like they already have more applicants than this time last year.

I went to Rudy's. It was awesome.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Concentration: Energy, Finance
Schools:Texas, Rice, Mays
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Kudos
lagomez wrote:
What attracts you to McCombs?

In no way am I knocking McCombs. As a matter of fact, this is a school I'm considering (among others). But I'm curious as to what some people find appealing. Typically, most top schools are known for something. What can you say about McCombs?

Lagomez,

I don't know how well I would fare in admission for other top schools, but I can say for certain that McCombs is my top choice. I plan on entering the growing field of alternative energy and aside from *maybe* Stanford, McCombs is the best. McCombs already has a close relationship with Energy, it's located in a city that is unique in its commitment to clean energy, and it has an Energy Finance concentration.

On top of all that, Dean Gilligan is taking the school into a new direction towards becoming especially known for energy and alternative energy. He has proposed a new energy center and creating joint programs for dual degrees related to the field.

For me and my career aspirations McCombs offers much more than any other top school can, and I would be stoked to go to school back in the great state of Texas! Especially Austin - an awesome city. I don't know about how McCombs appeals to other applicants except for those who chose it as a safety, but it is highly ranked and respected so if this is your safety then you probably kick ass. Or think you do!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT, UCLA, Texas
 Q45  V38
Send PM
Kudos
elcapitan wrote:
Yesterday, after going over a month without a peep from admissions, I sent GIAC an email just to make sure that everything in my application was good to go. Almost immediately after I sent the email I received an interview invitation. I'm not sure if they sent it in response to my inquiry or if it was just coincidence. Either way, good news!

I'm stuck in VA and won't be able to do it on-campus, so now I have to start the process of finding a willing alumni up here to do the interview.

If anyone has any tips or wouldn't mind sharing their experience, please do enlighten me!

congrats!
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
elcapitan wrote:
Lagomez,

I don't know how well I would fare in admission for other top schools, but I can say for certain that McCombs is my top choice. I plan on entering the growing field of alternative energy and aside from *maybe* Stanford, McCombs is the best. McCombs already has a close relationship with Energy, it's located in a city that is unique in its commitment to clean energy, and it has an Energy Finance concentration.

On top of all that, Dean Gilligan is taking the school into a new direction towards becoming especially known for energy and alternative energy. He has proposed a new energy center and creating joint programs for dual degrees related to the field.

For me and my career aspirations McCombs offers much more than any other top school can, and I would be stoked to go to school back in the great state of Texas! Especially Austin - an awesome city. I don't know about how McCombs appeals to other applicants except for those who chose it as a safety, but it is highly ranked and respected so if this is your safety then you probably kick ass. Or think you do!

I definitely agree with elcapitan on this. I think besides the bay area schools (Stanford and Haas), McCombs probably has the best opportunity as far as green tech goes. If anyone is set on sustainability, McCombs should definitely be on their list of schools to apply for.

I don't know how many people are Texas in-state. The bang for the buck if you are in-state is unbeatable.
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
For those of you interested in the energy sector, McCombs' MBA blog has a good article of the available opportunity (more ammunition for your essays):

https://blogs.mccombs.utexas.edu/mba-stu ... in-energy/
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
 Q42  V48
Send PM
Kudos
unhedged wrote:
does the business school like to be known as "Texas", "McCombs", or "Texas McCombs"?

I referred to them as McCombs throughout my app/essays.

For example: The University of Texas is best known for having the #3 football team in the nation and the McCombs MBA. I met Sam Acho while attending MBA Friday at McCombs. I hate waiting, when will McCombs' decisions be sent out? I wish McCombs would decide already so I can quit my job if I get accepted. etc...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Schools:Darden, Duke, Booth, Texas, Georgetown
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Now I am really getting worried.. has anyone applied around november 2nd and still not got an interview invite?
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
ROLL CALL UPDATED

Godspeed to you swank6
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
 Q42  V48
Send PM
Kudos
How is it that my job which was fine on Friday, is unbearable today??? My how my co-workers have changed over the weekend.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
It looks like UT does invites in batches.. People that interviewed early had to wait longer based on the data below. Texasorbust to UT2012 is almost a month apart, yet they found out on the same day.

texasorbust (interviewed 10/25 | admitted 12/4)
elcapitan (interview invite 11/6 | admitted 12/4)
USMCCommO (interview invite 11/7 | admitted 12/4)
asianstyles (interviewed 11/5 | admitted 12/4)
smadge37 (interviewed 11/20 | admitted 12/4)
ut2012 (interviewed 11/20 | admitted 12/4)
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
drew031482 wrote:
So one of my recommenders I am finding out is a real procrastinator. From what it sounds like, lots of folks have already applied - is this going seriously affect my chances of admission at this point? I submitted my app over 2 weeks ago, and he still hasn't submitted his rec...

That's the old "procrastinating recommender" problem. Don't worry, everyone experiences this at some point during the process =) Just send out friendly reminders and hope for the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Schools:McCombs School of Business
Send PM
Kudos
I'm In! :-D Got the call this afternoon. Good luck to everyone else who is waiting to hear back.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  70