Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools:Wharton - Class of 2013
 Q50  V47
GPA: 3.4 princeton
WE 1: 2y bb ib
WE 2: 2y Mid market PE
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management / Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2013
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
EdJ wrote:
Jterm2011 wrote:
So I just got off the WL at a couple of schools. Both very much at the Wharton level in terms of brand. I am delighted but am still holding out for Wharton (where I am on the WL) because its where I have always wanted to go. I do hope someone from the adcom or the school is reading this but I just wanted to say the one area the school has disappointed me in is its treatment of WLers. Both places I got into have been very forthcoming in terms of timing etc. One even spoke gave estimates about how many people were on the WL and when they would trim it. I am not saying that Wharton needs to be so clear but atleast something more than 'we will get back to you by July 18".
Also the sheer number of folk on the WL is something that confuses me. Wharton has a very solid yield and you would think that there is no need to WL so many people. (i think someone said the number is probably between 150-200). We are 2 months away from school beginning and it just makes no sense why so many people are still on it. A guy I went to school with is international and he still is on the WL. I feel for him because he needs to start working on his visa for another school, and even if he does get into W, go through the process of changing it and maybe not being able to do so

Anyways I know I am venting a bit. I love Wharton, and would pick it over any other place. But they are a bit frustrating for a school of such pedigree. I mean even some of the communications to WL had typos in them. The whole admissions operations seems a bit lacking when compared to a couple to similar schools especially when it comes to people who have been waiting for the school for months

Very valid points. Any current students on the forum have any idea why this is so?

Not a current student but here's my guess on why they waitlist so many people:

When they construct a class they try to get a blend of bankers, consultants, IT guys, military, entrepreneurs, foreigners, women, yadda yadda. When the yield #s start trickling in and if, for example, they see they are low on Military guys, they want to have Military guys on the wait list to replace them with. Now take this example and expand it to the many different backgrounds/profiles that schools look for and you can see that the schools need at least a few people on the WL from each category. Furthermore, you need to consider the Waitlist yield, as in who is going to stay on the waitlist, and who is going to accept a spot from the waitlist if offered. I think if you back calculate all these #s you could probably come up with a reasonable estimate of how many you need for the waitlist and the # would be relatively high.

Let me illustrate with an oversimplified calc.
Let's say there are 10 MBA candidate profiles the school has in mind for their class. The adcom expects that on average, 4 people will enroll from the waitlist for each profile. The waitlist yield is 20% (between people removing themselves from WL, people not getting an offer from the Wait list, and people declining an admissions offer).

Given these assumptions, you would need 200 Waitlist candidates to fill out your class.

200 / 10 = 20 Waitlisters per profile
20 WLers at 20% yield = 4 Enrolled students

No idea if these assumptions are reasonable or not but I think that could explain it. Feel free to pick my calc apart.

And congrats on getting in to other great schools but hopefully the WL math works out in your favor at Wharton!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GBale3 wrote:

on!

Your reasoning makes sense. My point was not how they come up with a number but why they are so different than other similar schools of the same caliber (top 5 schools by US news). Other places have a smaller number on the WL (even though they may have similar class sizes). Wharton (and trust me I was on like 4 WLs and got into 3) waitlists by far more people (even as a % of total class size) . Also schools start clearing up the WL as time goes on but Wharton just adds. Its less than 60 days before school starts and they still have people on the WL who applied in Oct. They barely took any off on the R3 notification day. Also their communication is poor both in quantity and quality, you should see some of the simple errors on their summer WL letter. Again I want to stress it is my top choice and I would go there immediately.

Anyways my point is that it surprises me for a school of such high caliber they take such an approach. Just makes no sense to me
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
i wish that was the case..but unfortunately my class is mostly PE guys, followed by IB guys and then MC and maybe a sprinkle or two of military ...

Wharton admissions does say that they try to balance the class as much as they can and after they have a number of diverse backgrounds, it really comes down to who is the best fit for the program and who is likely to attend.. keep in mind that those who are the best will likely be the best at HBS and Stanford..

Wharton typically is vary of people who will go to HBS and Stanford..so they push people on WL and see how many of those they think will get into HBS/Stanford and then make their decision to admit or ding..

GBale3 wrote:
EdJ wrote:
Jterm2011 wrote:
So I just got off the WL at a couple of schools. Both very much at the Wharton level in terms of brand. I am delighted but am still holding out for Wharton (where I am on the WL) because its where I have always wanted to go. I do hope someone from the adcom or the school is reading this but I just wanted to say the one area the school has disappointed me in is its treatment of WLers. Both places I got into have been very forthcoming in terms of timing etc. One even spoke gave estimates about how many people were on the WL and when they would trim it. I am not saying that Wharton needs to be so clear but atleast something more than 'we will get back to you by July 18".
Also the sheer number of folk on the WL is something that confuses me. Wharton has a very solid yield and you would think that there is no need to WL so many people. (i think someone said the number is probably between 150-200). We are 2 months away from school beginning and it just makes no sense why so many people are still on it. A guy I went to school with is international and he still is on the WL. I feel for him because he needs to start working on his visa for another school, and even if he does get into W, go through the process of changing it and maybe not being able to do so

Anyways I know I am venting a bit. I love Wharton, and would pick it over any other place. But they are a bit frustrating for a school of such pedigree. I mean even some of the communications to WL had typos in them. The whole admissions operations seems a bit lacking when compared to a couple to similar schools especially when it comes to people who have been waiting for the school for months

Very valid points. Any current students on the forum have any idea why this is so?

When they construct a class they try to get a blend of bankers, consultants, IT guys, military, entrepreneurs, foreigners, women, yadda yadda. When the yield #s start trickling in and if, for example, they see they are low on Military guys, they want to have Military guys on the wait list to replace them with. Now take this example and expand it to the many different backgrounds/profiles that schools look for and you can see that the schools need at least a few people on the WL from each category. Furthermore, you need to consider the Waitlist yield, as in who is going to stay on the waitlist, and who is going to accept a spot from the waitlist if offered. I think if you back calculate all these #s you could probably come up with a reasonable estimate of how many you need for the waitlist and the # would be relatively high.

Let me illustrate with an oversimplified calc.
Let's say there are 10 MBA candidate profiles the school has in mind for their class. The adcom expects that on average, 4 people will enroll from the waitlist for each profile. The waitlist yield is 20% (between people removing themselves from WL, people not getting an offer from the Wait list, and people declining an admissions offer).

Given these assumptions, you would need 200 Waitlist candidates to fill out your class.

200 / 10 = 20 Waitlisters per profile
20 WLers at 20% yield = 4 Enrolled students

No idea if these assumptions are reasonable or not but I think that could explain it. Feel free to pick my calc apart.

And congrats on getting in to other great schools but hopefully the WL math works out in your favor at Wharton!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Jterm2011 wrote:
Other places have a smaller number on the WL (even though they may have similar class sizes). Wharton (and trust me I was on like 4 WLs and got into 3) waitlists by far more people (even as a % of total class size) . Also schools start clearing up the WL as time goes on but Wharton just adds. Its less than 60 days before school starts and they still have people on the WL who applied in Oct. They barely took any off on the R3 notification day.

As far as I'm concerned Wharton might have waitlisted this year the same (or <) % of applicants as any other top b-school did; and as far as we know you might be the perfect fit for those 3 other schools you got in but not for Wharton. (note: I'm not saying you're not an outstanding candidate - I'm just stressing the importance of fit).

Even if that's the case, how do you know that other schools don't have people who applied in October still on the waitlist as well; do you know the percentage of total applicants who are still waitlisted from R1 vs this percentage in the other top 4 US-News b-schools?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
FN wrote:
i wish that was the case..but unfortunately my class is mostly PE guys, followed by IB guys and then MC and maybe a sprinkle or two of military ...

Wharton admissions does say that they try to balance the class as much as they can and after they have a number of diverse backgrounds, it really comes down to who is the best fit for the program and who is likely to attend.. keep in mind that those who are the best will likely be the best at HBS and Stanford..

Wharton typically is vary of people who will go to HBS and Stanford..so they push people on WL and see how many of those they think will get into HBS/Stanford and then make their decision to admit or ding..

So you're basically saying that those who don't get in H/S "have to settle" for W?

Even though that might have been true until some point in the past I don't think it is anymore; I personally know quite a few people who chose W over H/S ('11, '12 and '13).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Can any admits help us neglected WLs out. Just saw the facebook group is down to 627. Quite a drop from when I last checked it. Is this indicative of class size? Or was there some sort of a deadline to confirm attendance and those who didnt were taken off. I know its a bit desperate but this is all we Wlers have to know if there are any open spots. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear Fellow Summer WLs

I have some not so good news. I met with a Senior Director of Wharton MBA Adcom recently and inquired about the chances of anyone getting in off the summer waitlist. He/ She said not to quote him/ her (as they would deny it if quoted) but that the class was pretty much full and it did not look like people would be getting in off the summer waitlist.

So I have further tempered my expectations and suggest the same to you all.

Oh well there is always next year.

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EdJ wrote:
Can any admits help us neglected WLs out. Just saw the facebook group is down to 627. Quite a drop from when I last checked it. Is this indicative of class size? Or was there some sort of a deadline to confirm attendance and those who didnt were taken off. I know its a bit desperate but this is all we Wlers have to know if there are any open spots. Thanks

It is now back at 635 and lets not forget the 135-odd members of the Wharton-Lauder Group, who are not members of the Wharton Group, so we are standing at 770 at the very least....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
keep your hopes up...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
if you dont mind me asking how exactly did you meet with a senior adcom when everyone else on the summer WL can't even contact them...just don't trust everything you read here
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: CMU (Tepper) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.05
Send PM
kerong wrote:
Dear Fellow Summer WLs

I have some not so good news. I met with a Senior Director of Wharton MBA Adcom recently and inquired about the chances of anyone getting in off the summer waitlist. He/ She said not to quote him/ her (as they would deny it if quoted) but that the class was pretty much full and it did not look like people would be getting in off the summer waitlist.

So I have further tempered my expectations and suggest the same to you all.

Oh well there is always next year.

Cheers

Pics or it didn't happen.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
PEanalyst wrote:
if you dont mind me asking how exactly did you meet with a senior adcom when everyone else on the summer WL can't even contact them...just don't trust everything you read here

Believe what you want; I have no incentive to lie to anyone here, especially since its not like we are sending in materials to buttress our respective applications.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Has anyone denied after int been able to get feedback from admissions and if so how?

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:<strong>Ross '13</strong>
 Q46  V40
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Business Development / Sales
Send PM
Does anyone know of any applicants being admitted since summer WL began?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm a Summer W/L'er who received an admit phone call and email today!

Not much time to prepare. Can someone direct me to a website where I can find out what I need to do in the next six weeks?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congratulations!!! Did you apply for Wharton or lauder-wharton?

FYI two kids have dropped out of lauder-Wharton as of now...

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA I
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton Class of 2013
GMAT 2: 700
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
arizona1983 wrote:
I'm a Summer W/L'er who received an admit phone call and email today!

Not much time to prepare. Can someone direct me to a website where I can find out what I need to do in the next six weeks?

Congratulations and welcome to the class. Check these out. The second link is the book we were all mailed a few weeks back, walks you through the whole pre-term process.

https://spike.wharton.upenn.edu/mbaprogram/

https://spike.wharton.upenn.edu/mbaprogr ... d_wg13.pdf
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  161   162   163   164   165   166   167   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts