Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink]
foodstamp wrote:
sset009 wrote:
foodstamp wrote:
I got an interview invite! :-D

WOW - I totally gave up on Wharton last night.

awesome foodstamp, esp with H and S in the bag as well
great news

Thanks! Did you have your W interview yet? (If you did, how was it?)

Wow - interviews at H/S/W? You're on fire!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:R2: HBS, Columbia, Wharton, BU ($$)
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Dinged. Well, at least I don't have to worry about moving to Philly. :wink:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Dinged, but no regrets.

And so my application adventure has drawn to a close.

Best wishes to all you guys who got interviews!

RF
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Dinged. :(
Intern
Intern
Schools:Darden, Haas, Smith, Wharton, Stanford and HBS
Send PM
Got my interview invite on 2/16 (and scheduled for 3/2). Actually, I had completely given up on Wharton, so it was a pleasant surprise but trying to find a time slot for on-campus interview was another story :-)

Anyway, I guess now is the good time to troll this thread for good interview advice!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Concentration: General
Send PM
Kudos
foodstamp wrote:
syd999 wrote:
foodstamp wrote:
I got an interview invite! :-D

WOW - I totally gave up on Wharton last night.

what did I tell ya :)

Whew... I am glad you were right!

Are you still going to write a debrief? I am definitely waiting for it!

Its 2 AM in Europe and I am still awake because of some serious jetlag, so here goes ;) :

After a co-worker told me he had scheduled a R1 interview on campus and said it took only 20 minutes, I knew I wanted to do an alumni interview for a few reasons:

1) I felt I didn't have as strong as an application as him and viewed the interview as an opportunity to strengthen my application (Incidentally, my co-worker was accepted and is matriculating at W). I needed more than 20 minutes to explain my case.

2) I didn't think it was worth the money to fly to Philly and visit te school just yet; If i get accepted, I will definitely do it then knowing my $$ are being put to good use.

3) I felt an alumnus could give a better perspective of student life , employment opportunities, classroom experience etc. than a member of adcom.

4) I was informed by several people that an alumni, hub or on campus interview had equal weightage and was not concerned that an alumni interview would weaken my case.

So I located an local alumni and setup a Friday afternoon interview with him. In retrospect, I think it worked out well by scheduling the interview on Friday since the pace was very relaxed. When the interview started, I was told the interview would be about 45 minutes in total. I got asked the standard questions:

1) Talk about about my education and work expereince
2) I was asked whetehr I had talked to any alumni.
3) Why MBA? Why now? Why a second Master's degree? Why Wharton?
4) Explain a situation where I had team conflict. How did I deal with it?
5) Explain a situation where I had an ethical dilemma. what did I do?
6) Explain any acivities/hobbies/groups I am in involved when I was at school, at work and also after work.
7) Which other schools was I applying to and how high W was on the list (I am not sure if he was allowed to ask for this and I wasn't asked this that directly).
8) Since I seemed to have a lot of travel experience, I was asked what if anything I learned from it.

In the end, I was allowed to ask questions. I had a whole slew of them, and by the time the interview was done , the interview had gone for 90 minutes ! (Though I spent only 5-10 minutes on questions) . I felt good about it since I had good answers for all the questions. But more importantly, the interviewer had followed a very similar career path that I wanted to follow and it allowed me to ask some very good questions and get some great insights.

Since the interviewer worked in the company that I would like to work at right after getting out of a MBA program, I joked maybe I would be interviewing again in a couple years with him but then it would be for a full time job :-D

Anyther thing that really worked out for me is I came out a a person that was extremely well networked - the alumni that was asked about in Q2 above was known to the interviewer. When I explained some of the more exotic counties I visited, he threw a few names of co-workers from those countires who I personally knew! And when I was leaving the interview and he saw my blackberry, he talked about a former boss who lived by his blackberry. Based on his description , I said I knew a very similar person and in 5 minutes we found out we were talking about the same person!! It was ridiculous - the sun, moon and planets seemed to line up for me! Based on how long the interview went and my reponses to his questions, I felt the interview went quite well and if I didn't get accepted, I knew it wouldn't be because of a bad interview. If i had any advice, it would be:

1) Make sure you read you applciation to brush up on some the standard questions. When I was asked how Wharton would be able to help prepare me for my career path, I was able to throw in names of classes and professors (who the interviewer was familiar with) that I hd researched when I was working on my essays. He was definitely impressed.

2) Use the opportunity to 'sell' yourself , but do it with humility. Since the interviewer is not familiar with your application, make sure you bring out the strenghts from your application ( There is no need to feel like you are wasting time by repeating information)

3) Since I have done many interviews before (as an interviewer at my workplace), I know sending hand written thank you notes 24 hours later and or sending emails 5 - 10 hours later would be too late to close the deal. So I had already composed an thank you email which highlighted why I was a good candidate well before the interview and saved it as a draft. When the interview was over, I spent another 10 minutes adding more specific info from the interview and I emailed the thank you message to the interviewer from my phone. There was a good chance he saw it before he turned in his feedback and used my email to frame his evaluation.

4) Don't fail to view the interview as chance to grow your network; many of the alumni are employed at great places to work and you might very well look for an internship/job at the same place in the future. And if not you, you will defintely know someone who can benefit from it.

Since I made the decision to do a MBA just recently (I decided only late october 2008 that I wanted to do an MBA, scheduled and took the GMAT two weeks later and had barely a month to get recommendations and complete my essays), Wharton was the only application that I spent considerable time on and felt was good. I amn't surprised at not getting interviews at H or S bacause I had poorly developed essays and it seems like all my MBA eggs are in the W basket for now. Considering the circumstances, I am happy with my interview and have gotten this far at W, and I am hopeful that I have a greater than 50% chance at acceptance at W. And if not this year, then I know I will have a much stronger app next year.

Finally, I hope you all find this debrief useful and all of us GMATclubbers can convert our interviews to acceptances. I sincerely wish good luck to you all!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
syd999 - good job ;)

Rooting for you!
Intern
Intern
Schools:tuck, haas
 Q49  V40
Send PM
dinged.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
 Q44  V41
Send PM
Thanks so much for the debrief syd999! I have my alumni interview next week, very helpful! Best of luck to you!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
Syd99, excellent debrief. Wish I had read your post before my alumni interview. +1 kudos even though i feel miserable thinking all of the things i should have done at my alumni interview.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Strategy & Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Hey Guys !

Xerox, Audio thanks for your earlier informative posts on cohorts and learning teams. I really enjoyed them

I had a couple of queries if you can address them as well it would be great !

1) Can you tell me about some professors whose classes really fill up quickly in the auction. Particularly in the entrepreneurship and strategy domain. Can you tell me there names so that i can do some research on them. I did read about some of them. But I request for an insiders view :)

2) What is the internship scenario like currently. (I know it ain't great anywhere but still) Particularly for the strategy function. How many interns have been hired ? Also i did go through wharton's 2008 employment report but want some input from you on the firms that hire for internal strategy positions (besides the usual ones)

3) I really liked the GCP and other opportunities at W. Since its not a auction based course so on an average how many students get shortlisted for the same ?

thanks in advance !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Allrighty, my first post.

I just joined this forum and came to know about it from my friends. Great stuff here.

I have my Wharton interview and i wanted some information about "ainsley parker" who is going to take my interview.

Anyone already interviewed with her, btw she is the associate director. Any current student who can share some insights into her. Is she friendly or anything ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
beyondcat2007 wrote:

I just joined this forum and came to know about it from my friends. Great stuff here.

I have my Wharton interview and i wanted some information about "ainsley parker" who is going to take my interview.

Anyone already interviewed with her, btw she is the associate director. Any current student who can share some insights into her. Is she friendly or anything ?

Ainsley is super friendly and very funny, but I know next to nothing about her in an interview environment. I would expect a tougher interview than with an alum though. Maybe as an ice-breaker you could ask her how the winter welcome weekend went since she was organising it. Sorry i can't be more helpful!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Audio wrote:

I would expect a tougher interview than with an alum though. Maybe as an ice-breaker you could ask her how the winter welcome weekend went since she was organising it. Sorry i can't be more helpful!

Thanks for the quick response Audio

Why do you think it will be tougher than an alum interview ? Can you tell me something more about winter welcome weekend ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Strategy & Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Any Input on the below post guys ?

MBAAspirant2008 wrote:
Hey Guys !

Xerox, Audio thanks for your earlier informative posts on cohorts and learning teams. I really enjoyed them

I had a couple of queries if you can address them as well it would be great !

1) Can you tell me about some professors whose classes really fill up quickly in the auction. Particularly in the entrepreneurship and strategy domain. Can you tell me there names so that i can do some research on them. I did read about some of them. But I request for an insiders view :)

2) What is the internship scenario like currently. (I know it ain't great anywhere but still) Particularly for the strategy function. How many interns have been hired ? Also i did go through wharton's 2008 employment report but want some input from you on the firms that hire for internal strategy positions (besides the usual ones)

3) I really liked the GCP and other opportunities at W. Since its not a auction based course so on an average how many students get shortlisted for the same ?

thanks in advance !
Current Student
Schools:Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg
Send PM
beyondcat2007 wrote:

How do you know you'll be interviewing with Ainsley?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Send PM
Had my Hub interview in London with an Adcom member (associate director at wharton)
she remembered me from an event in london (which was good)

questions:
- quick summary of cv (she emphasized work) - she did write 5 or six key words of each expereince that i mentioned ( higlighted words i talked about)
- why mbw now (i had to talk about my short term and long term goals to make the why mba story)
- given my international back ground, what i bring to discussion table
- given u are doing hcm, what other things brings u to wharton
- what extra curricular
- any questions for her
- and any updates

she did understand that i have interacted with a lot of alumni, and seemed happy at that.
but very short interview (20 minutes of which 5 minutes was her answering my questions)
did not ask any of the "give me an example of .."

so slightly concerned at the taken for the interview

anybody else have such a short interview?
definitely worried, especially after reading people have had 45 minutes interviews :cry:

S
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  55   56   57   58   59   60   61  ...  67   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts