Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
I will make my final decision about going ED or RD after I visit some east-coast schools next month. So far, based on what I've found about Columbia, I would happily go there (If I get an admit). Do not underestimate the power of NYC, my friend :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Since review for the ED starts from Aug 15, does it make sense to submit the applications asap or hold on for a while. I am going over my essays and making edits to them.

I will be submitting way before October 10, but is there any advantage in sumbitting on September 15 versus September 30.

Does Columbia review applications immediately, or pile them up and start reviewing after the deadline?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
Since review for the ED starts from Aug 15, does it make sense to submit the applications asap or hold on for a while. I am going over my essays and making edits to them.

I will be submitting way before October 10, but is there any advantage in sumbitting on September 15 versus September 30.

Does Columbia review applications immediately, or pile them up and start reviewing after the deadline?

It is Rolling admission, so they will review it immediately. No piling up in this case.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
I am trying to finish the app in the next 10-15 days, but I can't visit Columbia till the last week of Sept. In fact I am planning to dedicate the last week of Sept to my trips to east-coast schools. So, I will wait till the end of Sept to submit my Columbia application.

The school visits will start in October. And I dont think they expect the ED candidates to visit the schools.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well they have on campus info sessions all August and September. And they have class-visit programs starting from mid-September. So it is possible to visit the school even for ED.

Moreover, someone suggested me (And I agree with him now) that one should visit the school on a day when there's no admission event going on. That way you get more attention (Less competition), and get more non-prepared stories about the school from students.

As far as "Columbia expecting students to visit for ED" goes, well we will never know what is it that they truly expect :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[#permalink]
dosa_don wrote:
MNeo or Abishek or anyone else applying in ED- if either of you get admitted in ED, are you ready to join Columbia and giving up the other apps? :)

Yes.

:)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Who out there has completed the Glenn Hubbard Essay? I have a first draft and am absolutely not sure what I am doing...anyone wanting to exchange ideas??? I guess we can talk via PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
dosa_don wrote:
MNeo or Abishek or anyone else applying in ED- if either of you get admitted in ED, are you ready to join Columbia and giving up the other apps? :)

Right now yes!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am a reapplicant that was thinking about applying RD, but now I am considering applying ED. I took the GMATs in March of this year, and did decent (730), so I figured I'd take a long shot an apply to CBS. After scrambling to get my application together in a few weeks, I ended up turning in my application around mid-April last year, and as expected I was dinged. I hear the acceptance rate of ED is much higher than RD, especially for overrepresented minorities (another IT/Male/Indian). Considering CBS is one of my top choices, I would be willing to make the ED committment in exchange for the beter chance of acceptance. Anyone have any insights on applying late in the ED cycle? Considering I haven't started the essay and I haven't yet lined up another recommender, I'm guessing I won't be able to submit until atleast late September.

Best of luck to everyone!
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
Admissions Chat Alert!!!

Columbia Business School Alumni and the Office of Admissions
cordially invite you to a Live Chat Event on Business Week Forums.

It was quite dull. Same old questions and same old answers. Did anybody else visit it? ncprasad?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nope. I am not applying to Columbia. My aspirations are more modest :)
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
My aspirations are more modest :)

Modesty = Harvard + MIT + Berkeley + Ross + Wharton :shock:

I am going insane trying to keep the essay on "What are your short-term and long-term post-MBA goals? How will Columbia Business School help you achieve these goals?" and the one on "How will your MBA prepare you for a rapidly changing business environment?" not repeating each other, but still making a fluid and coherent reading. :madd
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
ncprasad wrote:
My aspirations are more modest :)

Modesty = Harvard + MIT + Berkeley + Ross + Wharton :shock:

Why are you shocked? I am a shoo in to HBS. :stupid

Seriously, I do not think CBS is the right school for me. I am applying to set of competitive schools with the understanding that I may end up not getting in anywhere and thats fine with me.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah, I am applying to only those schools that I would really really want to go to. I don't care if those schools are all "reach" schools for me. If I don't get in the schools that I like, then I will just start experimenting with my entrepreneurial self a couple of years earlier.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Looks like all of us are in the same boat. I dont want to go to a school where I wont feel comfortable plonking down $100k. And I do know that almost all my schools(W/K/Chic/Col/Tuck/Ross) are reach. Might throw in a Duke and(or) a Stern in R2 (and they are no where close to being a safe school).

Oh well- Columbia ED is my goal...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
I am going insane trying to keep the essay on "What are your short-term and long-term post-MBA goals? How will Columbia Business School help you achieve these goals?" and the one on "How will your MBA prepare you for a rapidly changing business environment?" not repeating each other, but still making a fluid and coherent reading. :madd

That 2nd essay is killing me...... I am not getting the theme of it at all. Can someone throw some more light?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
The clear-admit essays analysis points posted by ncprasad give some idea of the theme of the essay. Compared to the first essay, where you are focusing on your goals and how an MBA (And specifically a Columbia MBA) can help you, here you are to focus on the anticipated changes in the global business landscape (The rapidly changing business world - as mentioned in the essay topic, and a few other points that you can think of), and how an MBA (And specifically a Columbia MBA) can help you.

At least that's how I am trying to keep my essays not repeating each other, but still answering the question.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  42