Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1575 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
Schools:St. Gallen '09
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Re: Calling Columbia applicants for 2008 [#permalink]
The optional essay is always good to remove concerns from potential weak areas in your profile, or if you'd like to highlight reasons for periods of non-employment, etc. you could really do anything with this essay including highlighting other factors on why columbia is the right fit, or why applying late in the cycle, etc. , etc.

i just submitted my app on monday, and in my optional essay i highlighted my reasons for applying now, and how i would've applied ED if i had been under different circumstances. i basically weaved another story into this last essay that also showed why columbia is my first choice for both me and my family, and that i'm visiting the school for the host program in march. lastly, i made a note about some areas on one of my transcripts.

maybe i went overboard with it, but they will have no doubt columbia is my first choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
yeah, i did write about 'Why Columbia' in Essay1, but I am thinking about writing why I applied so late, and inspite of the late app, CBS is still my first choice.

Evl, i too plan to visit CBS again next weekend, meet an adcom member if possible and write a more personal additional essay. With a Wharton ding, and both GSB and K interviews next week, I can focus solely on CBS starting next friday..

ujjib
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
Columbia Open House is Thursday and Friday. I am escaping the power outage in Florida for some considerably colder weather in NYC. I'm pumped though! Will report back after this weekend is over.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
Congrats longatum and evl...now go get those admits!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
Dinged today. Sucks, particularly when I know I can’t do thing one about improving my application…it’s all about me being an old fart! Oh well. Not holding out a great deal of hope for my other apps at this point, but you never know. If I don’t get in anywhere, I think I will take it as a sign that I should just figure out how to produce my movie on my own. I’ve been thinking about doing that in an online format – maybe I will rewrite the story so that it is episodic, rather than 3 acts – I believe “quarterlife” is done in 8 ½ minute clips online. I wonder if there’s a technical reason for that, or whether the authors arbitrarily decided that’s how they wanted it.

Blech. I’m not making preparations for honorable hari-kari, at this point, but *sniff* it’s not nice to feel unwanted!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Is it just me or are GMATClubbers getting clobbered by Columbia? :hammer Are we so great that they fear we are their backup school so they ding us to protect their yield? Yes, it must be that! :-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I'm sorry to hear that uphill...

Just so you know, during the Sloan's admit weekend, there was a guy with 45 or something, but he was a "dot out of the curve". With my almost 30 years, I was one of the oldest there, usually people were in their 25-27 years. But hey keep your mood up, otherwise you'll not attract god vibes. I'm here rooting for you and all other clubbers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
kwam wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that uphill...

Just so you know, during the Sloan's admit weekend, there was a guy with 45 or something, but he was a "dot out of the curve". With my almost 30 years, I was one of the oldest there, usually people were in their 25-27 years. But hey keep your mood up, otherwise you'll not attract god vibes. I'm here rooting for you and all other clubbers.

Thanks kwam. Yeah, I knew from the beginning that my age made me one hell of an "outlier" in the process, so it's not totally unexpected. But I am nothing if not resourceful, so if this doesn't work out for me, I will figure out something else interesting to do! On an up note, I'm doing really well in my Statistics class... :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
For those who have been accepted, how long did CBS give you to make your decision to matriculate or not? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I was accepted Feb. 7th, they want a $1500 deposit by March 17th. Any other questions, just ask. I was fortunate enough to have attended the Open House with djhouse, and I must say it was incredible. Hope to see some more accepts on the boards, though!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Oh yeah, to piggyback what djhouse said, I talked to Linda Meehan there as well, and she kept emphasizing that the class was not full and that they were still vigorously going through applications. I applied RD, but I only literally met a couple other people who also applied RD, so you RD people keep hope alive! Virtually everyone I met there was ED.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Popped my cherry this morning.

First invite of the season!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:

Congrats buddy! Where else did you apply?
Current Student
Send PM
rajpdsouza wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:

Congrats buddy! Where else did you apply?

https://gmatclub.com/forum/p414035#p414035
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Congrats ryguy!!!! When are you going to schedule the interview for?
Current Student
Send PM
nyrberg wrote:
Congrats ryguy!!!! When are you going to schedule the interview for?

Going to shoot for within the next 2 weeks, although it all depends on the interviwer's schedule (and of course I need to choose somebody as well).

I did a quick glance of people within a 30 mile radius and got two interesting names. Person 1 works at the same company as I do and reports to the same person that my boss does (Note: my company is not aware of my b-school intentions). Person 2 is a professor at a local university. I haven't looked at the other alumn's profiles, but I know Person 1 is out for sure. Any thoughts on interviewing with an academic? I thought this may provide a more laid back experience...

Cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
Congrats and best of luck on the interview!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39  ...  42