Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]
My prediction is that the acceptance rate will go under 20% this year. So, 30% interview rate isn't that shocking.
Given Kudos:
Any advice on doing an on-campus or local interview?

I originally signed up for a local interview because of the cost to fly out to LA. I also was just there last month, but explored the campus informally, and didn't visit the admissions office or classes, etc. I marked on my application I visited though.

So my husband is giving me a hard time about the cost to fly out there, but I'd really like to go. What do you guys think? I think I can still change it, there are interview slots open for most of November.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Send PM
my app has been complete since a long time now and no news...beginning to wonder whether they looked at my app and decided to move on :(
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Mine too. I would say interview on campus if you can afford it, but interview locally if you can't. You should be fine either way.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare and Operations
Schools:Michigan
Send PM
jlola21 wrote:

I originally signed up for a local interview because of the cost to fly out to LA. I also was just there last month, but explored the campus informally, and didn't visit the admissions office or classes, etc. I marked on my application I visited though.

So my husband is giving me a hard time about the cost to fly out there, but I'd really like to go. What do you guys think? I think I can still change it, there are interview slots open for most of November.

Personally I am going to be flying out to LA, but I am coming from the SF bay area so its easier for me. I figure it can't hurt. The thing I am worried about an alumni interview is that it is a bit more uncontrolled. Whereas if you don't click with the interviewer I feel that it'd effect you. But if an adcom or second year student interviews you, it is more structured and rigid.

If I get an east coast school interview I will be doing a local alumni interview though. Can't justify spending $500+ on a school I didn't get into yet...
Given Kudos:
nomsg7111 wrote:
jlola21 wrote:

Personally I am going to be flying out to LA, but I am coming from the SF bay area so its easier for me. I figure it can't hurt. The thing I am worried about an alumni interview is that it is a bit more uncontrolled. Whereas if you don't click with the interviewer I feel that it'd effect you. But if an adcom or second year student interviews you, it is more structured and rigid.

If I get an east coast school interview I will be doing a local alumni interview though. Can't justify spending $500+ on a school I didn't get into yet...

Okay I feel more comfortable now. I went to their local event and did visit the campus so I think that should be fine. With thanksgiving travel underway already it would be difficult for us to spend ~400-500 for the entire trip out there. Even though I would love to!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is anyone here from the Washington DC metro area? I just got my alum contact info for my UCLA interview and I'm just wondering if anyone here is also opting to interview with an alum at DC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Hi everyone, my first post here...just FYI I applied to UCLA on 10/5. My application status says "complete," and I haven't heard anything from admissions yet. Real helpful, I know :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Does anybody who applied in previous years know if UCLA has a specific date on which they notify people they are not being considered anymore? Wharton and Chicago do, and it strikes me as the humane thing to do!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
In yesterday's information session in San Diego yesterday adcom mentioned number of applications in round 1 was less than last years round 1 count. She attributed it to having an earlier deadline and they are expecting the number to go up for later rounds. So thats good news for rd1 applicants.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Travel09 wrote:
In yesterday's information session in San Diego yesterday adcom mentioned number of applications in round 1 was less than last years round 1 count. She attributed it to having an earlier deadline and they are expecting the number to go up for later rounds. So thats good news for rd1 applicants.

Did they mention anything about when we might hear about interview invites for R1? Any other news you want to share because not knowing anything is killing me!!! :cry:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Travel09 wrote:

Yay!!! Did she say anything about how much it was less?? Or about when the invites would come???
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
The only problem with that is they may waitlist more R1 candidates thinking they will get a much larger volume in R2. Most of the real economic pain has only happened recently and that may mean R2 is where the real volume increase will occur.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
The only problem with that is they may waitlist more R1 candidates thinking they will get a much larger volume in R2. Most of the real economic pain has only happened recently and that may mean R2 is where the real volume increase will occur.

You might be right. She did mention about possibly putting more people on waitlist this time years. But advantage of Rd1 will be they will be less jaded by reading how Anderson rocks and I'm going to save the world. Regarding interviews, they are planning to interview greater % of applicants ( I think last year was 28-30%). To answer your earlier question, they are in process of sending interview invites. As for decisions they would like to release some decisions before Christmas holiday but they she cannot confirm it will definitely happen. As for the essay 4 information on the website is different from what they say in person. They absolutely want you to send a recording.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Just received an interview invite from UCLA today, so naturally I am pretty excited!

For anyone wondering, I submitted my application the day before the deadline, on Oct 8th.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Also I noticed the following being debated - I personally did not submit the voice recording for the last essay (too much trouble really, not that I didn't want to). Looks like in this instance it did not affect much. I too was told that it didn't really matter to them if you submit the voice response but that this was Mae's "creation" upon joining UCLA and she preferred to see the voice option.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Travel09 wrote:
They absolutely want you to send a recording.

What?? :shock:
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  20