Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing; Strategy; Decision Sciences
Schools:Duke '13
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Send PM
Re: Can an old guy with a 770 get into top 10? [#permalink]
Out of curiosity, if u want to do private business, at your age, why waste ur time and money for 2 years in business school?

if u want to make connections u r better off in exec program
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V47
Send PM
The above posts raise legitimate issues. From my perspective, the exec option does not allow for sufficient elective course study and seems to targt mid-level managers in larger corporate orgs. Given my entreperneurial bent, I seek the freedom to explore tangentially related topics that interest me and that broaden my tool kit. Also, one of the most valuable throughputs of bschool is the network that comes with two years of proximity to and immersion with talented and driven classmates. I have spoken with graduates of the exec programs at a few different exec programs and, according to them, the program does not cultivate the depth of relationships which are so valuable. Additionally, The age and maturity of younger candidates does not erect any barrier for me - I mentor young marreid men and some of my deepest friendships are with people 10-15 years my junior. As far as the time and money, neither is of concern to me especially in the current economic climate. I do not consider spending two years at any top 10 mba program learning and improving a waste of time irrespective of the nature of the employment post graduation.

Originally posted by comebackkid on 16 Feb 2009, 10:38.
Last edited by comebackkid on 16 Feb 2009, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
I haven't seen aggregate numbers -- i.e., percentage of students enrolled who are 35+, etc. -- but anecdotally, I've met a couple b-schoolers at top programs who were late 30s or older. Wharton in particular skews older if you look at the average age at matriculation, so that might be a good target. Not sure about specifics at other schools, but I would go for it!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
comebackkid wrote:
The above posts raise legitimate issues. From my perspective, the exec option does not allow for sufficient elective course study and seems to targt mid-level managers in larger corporate orgs. Given my entreperneurial bent, I seek the freedom to explore tangentially related topics that interest me and that broaden my tool kit. Also, one of the most valuable throughputs of bschool is the network that comes with two years of proximity to and immersion with talented and driven classmates. I have spoken with graduates of the exec programs at a few different exec programs and, according to them, the program does not cultivate the depth of relationships which are so valuable. Additionally, The age and maturity of younger candidates does not erect any barrier for me - I mentor young marreid men and soem of my deepest friendships are with people 10-15 years my junior. As far as the time and money, neither is of concern to me especially in the current economic climate. I do not consider spending two years at any top 10 mba program learning and improving a waste of time irrespective of the nature of the employment post graduation.

You should check this thread

111-p560076?t=74774#p560076
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Skitalets:
Thanks for the encouragement - nothing ventured...nothing gained.
Comebackkid
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Terp26:
The link you embedded led to a disclosure that informed me I was not authorized to view the post.
Comebackkid

Originally posted by comebackkid on 16 Feb 2009, 13:44.
Last edited by comebackkid on 16 Feb 2009, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
comebackkid,

Certainly you have the numbers to be competitive at these schools, and they do admit a handful of older applicants like yourself. Your career history appears to be very strong so you would have the leadership they would look for. You didn't mention extracurricular or community leadership, which is another important piece the top schools look for. If you have as strong a profile outside of work as you do in then you might be one of the handful of "oldsters" these schools might consider. I do think that of the four schools you mentioned, Stanford is the most unlikely.

--Paul
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Paul,
Thank you for your consideration. Is Stanford the most unlikely because of my age or for some other reason?
Corey
SVP
SVP
Send PM
comebackkid,

A combination of age and the fact that it's arguably the toughest school on the planet to get into.

--Paul
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V47
Send PM
fair enough - thanks. :-D
SVP
SVP
Send PM
You're welcome.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Cranfield SOM
 Q46  V40
Send PM
comebackkid wrote:

GMAT: 770 (first take)

UGPA: 3.1 - Indiana University - Bloomington, Economics 1992: mitigating factors = managed a family owned car care center (full service car wash, meineke muffler, jiffy lube) in Chicago full-time throughout entire undergraduate as a result of a family tragedy - commuted 4 hours to Chicago Thurs-Sun every week

W/E: nontraditional career tract ~ 160 months as small business entrepreneur: successfully started and operated multiple successful small businesses in two sectors: retail and financial services (mortgage banking) - multiple patents pending related to technology mentioned below. Owned two restaurants: one for ten years and the other for three (still operating). Own mortgage company 5 years (still operating).

Plans after MBA: start a vertically integrated mortgage company, leveraging proprietary software and a low-cost pricing model made possible by technological advantages to disenfranchise the dominant mortgage broker (think hybrid of Carmax and Dell). The competitive landscape in this industry is evolving and in the beginning stages of restructuring.

Alt Transcript: College Alg - A, Finite - A, currently taking calculus and stats - will have As in both

Schools:

Wharton
Stanford
Michigan
Duke

viable?

I have considered and dispensed the exec and part-time options.

Comebackkid - have you considered European programs like IMD, INSEAD and Cranfield which have an older student body.

You would complete your MBA in one year- less loans, earlier entry back into corporate world.

You should be a shoo-in for these schools.
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Scorpioguy-
I have not considered any European schools. What do you know of Oxford/ Said and Cambridge/ Judge? If I chose to stay in Europe what would employment prospects look like for me considering my age and unorthodox work experience if I charted a different course into the corporate world?
Comebackkid
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
I think your profile is unique even at the age of 39.

I think Ross tends to take older applicants, and there are other schools that tend to favor older applicants. Although, an executive MBA program might be more ideal - there's nothing wrong with an attempt or two at a FT program.

I would definitely target schools that favor experienced applicants (Tuck, Kellogg, Ross etc) and avoid schools that favor younger applicants (Booth, HBS, Wharton, Stanford, NYU etc)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
comebackkid wrote:

GMAT: 770 (first take)

UGPA: 3.1 - Indiana University - Bloomington, Economics 1992: mitigating factors = managed a family owned car care center (full service car wash, meineke muffler, jiffy lube) in Chicago full-time throughout entire undergraduate as a result of a family tragedy - commuted 4 hours to Chicago Thurs-Sun every week

W/E: nontraditional career tract ~ 160 months as small business entrepreneur: successfully started and operated multiple successful small businesses in two sectors: retail and financial services (mortgage banking) - multiple patents pending related to technology mentioned below. Owned two restaurants: one for ten years and the other for three (still operating). Own mortgage company 5 years (still operating).

Plans after MBA: start a vertically integrated mortgage company, leveraging proprietary software and a low-cost pricing model made possible by technological advantages to disenfranchise the dominant mortgage broker (think hybrid of Carmax and Dell). The competitive landscape in this industry is evolving and in the beginning stages of restructuring.

Alt Transcript: College Alg - A, Finite - A, currently taking calculus and stats - will have As in both

Schools:

Wharton
Stanford
Michigan
Duke

viable?

I have considered and dispensed the exec and part-time options.

Just a quick note -- don't feel you need to defend your "poor" GPA. At your age, your GPA is pretty much irrelevant. It's not that bad anyways...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Cranfield SOM
 Q46  V40
Send PM
A little about me - I am 33 years old and hence applied only to two US programs. I wanted to apply to Ross but the logistics did not work out and I finally dropped the app. Since I am not from Europe and not really planning to go into entrepreneurship I did not research programs from that angle.

Most European one year programs provide you with an excellent general management education. The programs that I looked at were IMD, INSEAD and Cranfield. I was planning to check into Cambridge and Oxford next but since I got through Cranfield (one of the top programs in UK) I decided to drop SBS and JBS. Also, Cranfield has about 40 years of experience in the MBA education field while SBS and JBS are more recent programs (I believe 10 -12 years).

I also applied to INSEAD for a chance to study in 2 different cultures and see how I might be able to bring in the best ideas to extend my career. INSEAD was also my strecth school.

IMD - They admit only a handful of candidates (90) and I decided against applying as I felt that the numbers worked against me.

All three schools are lenient to older applicants with INSEAD being the school with the lowest average age of 30.

Bottomline - I would suggest that you look into IMD, INSEAD, Cranfield, Cambridge and Oxford in that order. I did not look into the other European programs as they seemed to be more local (eg: HEC is huge in France, IE, IESE in Spain, Bocconi in Italy). FYI -it is my impressions about these programs and it may be totally off base.

I would also post your questions on European programs in the euro board to get more specific replies on the entrepreneurial aspect.
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Paul,

Am I a viable candidate for Kellogg full time 2yr MBA? I have completed College Algebra, Finite, Business Statistics, Business Calculus with As in each.

Corey
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2