Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 14:41 It is currently 12 May 2024, 14:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: PMI
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Operations (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Career path that I need to follow to get in top 10 MBA programs [#permalink]
Kudos
shiv90 wrote:
Hi shyamnambiar!
Thanks for your quick response..
shyamnambiar wrote:
A good idea (considering your ability to score on gmat, experience and education) may be to look at why an MBA

2-3 years down the line I want to mange a Team of Developers and may be 8-12 years later want to be in senior management role in a good company. I figured an MBA from elite institution would accelerate the process..

shyamnambiar wrote:

your desired future industry, function and location. Then narrow down school choices based on these.

I am interested in Technology and Operations management or consulting function...

I will be very honest while writing this answer:-
Normally students target schools based on where schools stand as per their goal and also where students stand as per class profile. Best would be to visit websites of schools and check the profiles of the current students over Linkedin. You will get an idea about school and your chances.Also most schools have one prominent specialization like Stanford for IT and Harvard for Consulting and Wharton for Finance.So it is better to figure out school as per specialization you are interested in.

I feel you need to work on the application process.Your idea about mba is still vague.Please dont take this statement as a criticism but I dont want you to apply and get rejected. Just give your best shot once and prepare for that.

I feel TOP 10 will be a stretch for you because you belong to a pool which is most competitive..Indian/Male/IT....Unless you do something meaningful and which matters a lot,you dont have a good chance.

Also I would like to add here,application process in US is very different than India.GMAT score is just a part of application and believe me Kelley's admissions director told last year that average GMAT score for Indian applicant for Kelley is 732.So dont rely only on GMAT.

Regarding your answers on last comment,I would like to add from my side.
1. Post mba I dont think you will lead a team of developers.This is a job of program managers and they dont have mba degree.You can very well see in your company how many have MBA.I dont think you will find more than 1 or 2. You can target Product management roles which are different than Program management.Google it and you will find it.
2. You cant have "Technology and Operations management or consulting function" as your goals.There can only be one out of these.Research on this part.

Lastly I would suggest give your GMAT & TOEFL and then donate atleast 6-8 months on these points.Then you will have more clarity.

Best of Luck..
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73165 [0]
Given Kudos: 18947
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Career path that I need to follow to get in top 10 MBA programs [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Archived ISB Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our ISB Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated ISB Forum for all fresh things related to the ISB MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts