Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
i think pelihu is the resident expert on JD => MBA. he was a securities lawyer before going to Darden. may want to drop him a note, or hopefully he will find this thread. i dont think ive seen any lawyers from the uk though.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
dabots wrote:
i think pelihu is the resident expert on JD => MBA. he was a securities lawyer before going to Darden. may want to drop him a note, or hopefully he will find this thread. i dont think ive seen any lawyers from the uk though.

Thanks - that's a help.

Would being from the UK be a bad thing?

i would have thought it might be a plus - I grew up in the Caribbean but am originally from the UK and have lived in a fair number of places - thought that might be something of a good thing given the desire for "diversity" I hear so much about?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
 Q51  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just out of curiosity, what is it that you want to do and can not after getting a masters in law at Oxford and working with a top 10 NY law firm making same as you would after HBS, assuming you get in.

Of course, it is your personal information and you can ignore this post. Just that I always wanted to ask someone with STAR professional profile why they decide to go back to school.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
hbs.aspirant wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what is it that you want to do and can not after getting a masters in law at Oxford and working with a top 10 NY law firm making same as you would after HBS, assuming you get in.

Of course, it is your personal information and you can ignore this post. Just that I always wanted to ask someone with STAR professional profile why they decide to go back to school.

There in lies the only difficulty with your application. A school needs to know not only do they want you to be there but that you need them to reach your career goals. The more advanced your degree and career the harder it is to sell your need for an MBA. As long as you can really sell your need for an MBA you have a shot at every school.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hbs.aspirant wrote:

The number one reason that super successful people want to go back to bschool is to take a break, move to a different environment, chill out, have fun and relive their college days, and meet new people, etc.

The number two reason is simply degree collecting. It just looks much more impressive if you have, for example, Yale and HBS, then just Yale. Sort of to validate that they are indeed the elite of the elite.

I am not talking about any person in particular, just in general.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
hbs.aspirant wrote:

Thanks.

Precisely what I want to do is not entirely clear - but I have a pretty good conception - essentially I want to be able to learn about, and then work in a far more entrepreneurial profession. Law is fine - but you are essentially a facilitator - you facilitate other people's decisions - your often not much more than a glorified bureaucrat.

I have a notion of a few of the things I would like to do, and I would be better placed for all of them by doing the MBA.

I appreciate everyone pointing out the issue though, as it helps me make note of the need to address it!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
aceman626 wrote:
The number one reason that super successful people want to go back to bschool is to take a break, move to a different environment, chill out, have fun and relive their college days, and meet new people, etc.

The number two reason is simply degree collecting. It just looks much more impressive if you have, for example, Yale and HBS, then just Yale. Sort of to validate that they are indeed the elite of the elite.

I am not talking about any person in particular, just in general.

Interesting to know - but it would be a fairly expensive break! I would be losing out on about $200k a year (so $400k) in salary, and paying about $150k over the two years in costs... I'd be better off taking a cruise!

I would also be very surprised if an MBA at HBS or Stanford would be that relaxing!

Degree collecting does, on paper, fit. But as said, I think it's just as feasible that, as I say, I am hoping to move careers and an MBA is one of the best possible routes to enable me to do so.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Law is fine - but you are essentially a facilitator - you facilitate other people's decisions - your often not much more than a glorified bureaucrat.

Don't you dare writing that on your essays or mentioning during interviews :lol: .

I think that academically your profile is strong. If you get a 700+ GMAT it will corroborate with your good undergrad and grad performance. But you should bear in mind that HBS and Stanford - together with Wharton - are the schools that usually are the most "picky" with other than just work experience and academic background, you will have to show community service and strong leadership experience - also outside work.

Regarding your career goals, I believe you need to set a strong reason to have an MBA. Either it is because you want to open your own business - law firm or whatever else.

In my opinion you do have chance in thoses schools, just need to tackle these points.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wdw [#permalink]
kwam wrote:
Don't you dare writing that on your essays or mentioning during interviews :lol: .

Hah, thanks! Yes - I think I'll try something more along the lines of "looking for a new challenge" than "law is a bit of a waste of time and an intellectual black-hole".

kwam wrote:
I think that academically your profile is strong. If you get a 700+ GMAT it will corroborate with your good undergrad and grad performance. But you should bear in mind that HBS and Stanford - together with Wharton - are the schools that usually are the most "picky" with other than just work experience and academic background, you will have to show community service and strong leadership experience - also outside work.

I figured - not sure what I can show... I ran my own business (profit about 20k USD a year) when I was 13-18, and have started a number of charity projects within my firm - does that count? I recall hearing about the numerous navy seals and climbers of Everest within the ranks of HBS and Stanford... not really something I can compete with I don't think! What sort of level of additional element are they looking for? A well rounded person with interests and drive, or a Nobel peace prize winner, or at least where on that spectrum?

Quote:
Regarding your career goals, I believe you need to set a strong reason to have an MBA. Either it is because you want to open your own business - law firm or whatever else.

I think that's a fair and very helpful point. I will certainly need to prepare an honest and well thought out answer that that sort of question, as I am sure it’s one I will have to answer more than once.

One particular route that I would most certainly like to use an MBA to venture down would be to start a PE/VC type operation in the Caribbean where there is a real dearth of such activity.

I actually think my legal background will help somewhat, and that an MBA and the requisite experience it will give me will help make that sort of thing a real possibility.

Thanks very much for your help though – it’s incredibly useful to get a strong conception of precisely what it is that I need to address.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: wdw [#permalink]
alrussell wrote:
What sort of level of additional element are they looking for?

I'm not sure
Just to give you an idea, I worked for a company that has a program to send its future business leadears to MBA. In 20 years the company has sent so far around 350 employees, the sucesful rate with HBS is really VERY low. I just remember one employee who went there.

People say taht the Chairman even got in touch with the HBS adcom to understand the reasons that their employees weren't getting accepted there, and the urban legend is that the answer was: "your employees are not going to MBA to change the world, but to keep climbing your corporate ledder!"

Only god knows if that's true, just wanted to share. :wink:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: wdw [#permalink]
kwam wrote:
alrussell wrote:
What sort of level of additional element are they looking for?

I'm not sure
Just to give you an idea, I worked for a company that has a program to send its future business leadears to MBA. In 20 years the company has sent so far around 350 employees, the sucesful rate with HBS is really VERY low. I just remember one employee who went there.

People say taht the Chairman even got in touch with the HBS adcom to understand the reasons that their employees weren't getting accepted there, and the urban legend is that the answer was: "your employees are not going to MBA to change the world, but to keep climbing your corporate ledder!"

Only god knows if that's true, just wanted to share. :wink:

Again - a very useful insight - thanks!

I think, or at least I hope, I can work some way to dispell that view in my case - mainly because if I really wanted merely to climb the corporate ladder, I would stay where I was and save about 1/2m USD... changing the world seems rather lofty, and a tad huburistic - not lest because there are almost 1000 people in HBS's intake - but I can certainly spell out ambitions somewhat beyond climbing someone's ladder!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I met a guy who has an MBA and a Law Degree. (Yale Law followed by Wharton MBA). He is now a VP at and the lead counsel for a major private equity group. He had been working for the PE firm before as a lawyer but wanted to move up and have more say in the operations side of it. He had a clear reason for why he needed an MBA in his career since he wanted to move up in PE beyond just being a reviewer of contracts and stuff.

Career changing is common at all full time programs...but remember schools want people heading towards a goal not running away from an unhappy career.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
I met a guy who has an MBA and a Law Degree. (Yale Law followed by Wharton MBA). He is now a VP at and the lead counsel for a major private equity group. He had been working for the PE firm before as a lawyer but wanted to move up and have more say in the operations side of it. He had a clear reason for why he needed an MBA in his career since he wanted to move up in PE beyond just being a reviewer of contracts and stuff.

Career changing is common at all full time programs...but remember schools want people heading towards a goal not running away from an unhappy career.

Also very helpful. I think the point is that I have benefited much from the legal profession, but would, like the guy you mention, really want to get involved with operations rather than merely guiding the decisions of other’s to their intended destinations. It’s about adding to my expertise as much as switching from one to another.

But again, I think your comments certainly focus the mind as to what notions will need to be dispelled / concerns addressed. Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
alrussell wrote:
I would also be very surprised if an MBA at HBS or Stanford would be that relaxing!

It's not. It's really demanding. I already need holidays from what I was expecting to be a 2 year holiday... The upside is that it's really enjoyable, not just mindless effort.

L.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:
alrussell wrote:

It's not. It's really demanding. I already need holidays from what I was expecting to be a 2 year holiday... The upside is that it's really enjoyable, not just mindless effort.

L.

Enjoyable is what I am looking for (though I stress not the main reason I want to do an MBA)...

I can't think anyone would look at it as a holiday...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think the challenge is that both Harvard and Stanford (especially Stanford) do not like to admit people who already have advanced degrees. If I recall, 2 years ago, Stanford admitted just 1 JD and 1 MD. I image there were probably 40-50 high quality applications from JDs for the 1 they admitted.

A second (perhaps related) issue is that H & S on average admit the youngest classes each year. Generally, people who have completed college, spent 3 years in law school (the US time frame) and worked for a few years are at the extreme high end for age that these schools admit. These are separate but related challenges.

Finally, as others have pointed out, you'll need to have a reason why you need an MBA. Business schools like to understand how you will put their degree for the glory of the school.

Just as a note, I applied to Stanford but was not asked to interview (JD from Michigan, 780 GMAT, low UGPA). I knew this would be a long shot because I really don't fit their profile. It would have been the same story for Harvard, so I just applied to one of them. I didn't read your post closely, but the most interesting part of your profile is that you spend time in the Caribbean. Are you British, or are you from the Caribbean? If you're from a small island somewhere (other than Great Britain :)) your chances will be greatly improved.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
I think the challenge is that both Harvard and Stanford (especially Stanford) do not like to admit people who already have advanced degrees. If I recall, 2 years ago, Stanford admitted just 1 JD and 1 MD. I image there were probably 40-50 high quality applications from JDs for the 1 they admitted.

In the UK a law degree is not a postgraduate degree, though I do also have a 1 year masters in law.

Quote:
A second (perhaps related) issue is that H & S on average admit the youngest classes each year. Generally, people who have completed college, spent 3 years in law school (the US time frame) and worked for a few years are at the extreme high end for age that these schools admit. These are separate but related challenges.

I am currently 26, and would be 28 when I began.

Quote:
Finally, as others have pointed out, you'll need to have a reason why you need an MBA. Business schools like to understand how you will put their degree for the glory of the school.

I think there is certainly much to be said for the fact that to make the move into a business orientated career, I would indeed need an MBA, or at the very least it would be by far the most respected and reasonable route to take. I dont need it to make money, I need it to undertake the path I want to take.

Quote:
Just as a note, I applied to Stanford but was not asked to interview (JD from Michigan, 780 GMAT, low UGPA). I knew this would be a long shot because I really don't fit their profile. It would have been the same story for Harvard, so I just applied to one of them. I didn't read your post closely, but the most interesting part of your profile is that you spend time in the Caribbean. Are you British, or are you from the Caribbean? If you're from a small island somewhere (other than Great Britain :)) your chances will be greatly improved.

I am a dual citizen and grew up in the west indies, though I am not a URM. Ideally, I might like to pursue PE/VC opportunities in the region, which I think an MBA would help no end with.

Thanks for the advice / comments by the way - very helpful
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2