Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chronic fatigue syndrome, a condition that afflicts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Chronic fatigue syndrome, a condition that afflicts [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 06:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (02:34) correct 38% (01:36) wrong based on 71 sessions
Chronic fatigue syndrome, a condition that afflicts thousands of people, is invariably associated with lower-than-normal concentrations of magnesium in the blood. Further, malabsorption of magnesium from the digestive tract to the blood is also often associated with some types of fatigue. These facts in themselves demonstrate that treatments that raise the concentration of magnesium in the blood would provide an effective cure for the fatigue involved in the syndrome.

The argument is most vulnerable to which one of the following criticisms?

(A) It fails to establish that lower-than-normal concentrations of magnesium in the blood are invariably due to malabsorption of magnesium.

(B) It offers no evidence that fatigue itself does not induct lowered concentrations of magnesium in the blood.

(C) It ignores the possibility that even in people who are not afflicted with chronic fatigue. Syndrome concentration of magnesium in the blood fluctuates.

(D) It neglects to state the exact concentration of magnesium in the blood which is considered the normal concentration.

(E) It does not specify what methods would be most effective in raising the concentration of magnesium in the blood.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Can someone please explain the logic behind the OA?

Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Re: LSAT Weaken question [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 06:47
I got it right after I posted the question:

The author claims that since the level of magnesium in blood and stress are correlated, increasing the level of magnesium will alleviate the stress. However, the fact that two things a correlated doesn't necessarily imply that one thing causes the other. For all we know, stress might be the cause of low level of magnesium and increasing the level will not help to reduce the stress (since the level of magnesium in blood doesn't cause stress).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT Weaken question [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 14:04
B____> one of the ways used to weaken an argument is to show that the cause and effect relationship is actually not clear!

Sky is the limit

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: LSAT Weaken question [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 19:11
The premise is that Fatigue => Lower-than-normal concentrations of magnesium

Choice B reverse the cause - effect. So, it is correct.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

SVP
SVP
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Chronic fatigue syndrome, a condition that afflicts [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 11:42
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Chronic fatigue syndrome, a condition that afflicts   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2014, 11:42