Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: CBS '16 (M$)
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q44 V49
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
Send PM
Re: Columbia Class of 2016 - Admitted Students Thread [#permalink]
doublespresso wrote:
letmeinalready wrote:
golantrevize wrote:
Guys who attended Connect I , what was your experience?
This group seems really quiet...is there a facebook group for admitted students ?

Also curious how the Columbia Connect event went. I was admitted just last week and couldn't book a flight for a reasonable price. I'm thinking about attending the one in April but want to make sure it is worth the time and money spent on travel to NYC.

Not sure how others felt, but I thought Connect I was fine -- not amazing, not awful, but just fine. It was nice to meet a variety of admits and to get current students' perspectives on recruiting and career optionality, and I ran into some friends who I hadn't realized had been admitted, which was fun.

But, I will say that I found Connect I a little bit lacking in facilitating connections between admits. For example, we started the morning by doing icebreakers in small clusters - "share a fun fact about your neighbor with the group". We then never did any other cluster-based activity, but instead met either as an entire group (200 students?) or in focused panels; I thought it would have been easier to get to know people in more depth if we had been consistently together with a smaller cluster for more of the day. I also wished that the cluster activity had been more of a basic intro (name, undergrad school, what you're doing now, what you hope to do post-MBA) instead of a fun fact, since I think that would have made it easier to strike up conversations based on commonalities.

Then again, I generally prefer meeting people in smaller groups and getting to know everyone in a bit more depth, as opposed to making a ton of acquaintances in a large group, so... YMMV? Would be curious to hear what others thought as well!

I think your feelings are spot on.

For me, Connect was great because it helped me determine that CBS was right for me since:
1) I felt that I could become friends with everyone that I met.
2) It alleviated my concern that people don't get involved in the CBS community. Every current student I talked to mentioned how close he/she was with his/her cluster and how much fun it is spending time with classmates either during club activities or just going out together.

It could have been better if:
1) Like you said, more of an opportunity to meet people in small groups and start building connections.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to Connect II. Anyone else going? I'm looking forward to meeting some more people!

Side note about the Facebook Group: I think it took the moderators a day or so to add me. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as the moderators may be busy and/or traveling.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
100% agree with these thoughts on Connect I. It's nice to hear others have the same reaction. I put my deposit down at CBS since the deadline was before the decision notification for other schools, but I've been losing some sleep over it ever since. I didn't have that "wow" feeling at Connect I, and I'm probably going to attend Connect II as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Just trying to make some plans in case I get a happy call from CBS. Can anyone tell me when Connect II is? All I can find is the date for last year's event. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HBS '16 CBS (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hi guys - i just got in last week! Won't be able to make it to the next connect weekend due to other travel plans, but if any of you are from Chicago or will be here any time prior to the fall, let's grab a few drinks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
For those who were admitted this month, can you please share when you deposit is due? As a waitlisted prospect, I'm curious when they may know more about the numbers of incoming students.

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Does anyone know when financial aid packages are being sent out?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
For those admitted students who are gearing up on stuff from Amazon.com, we are eligible to a free 6 month subscription of their Amazon Student program, which gives us free 2-day shipping and some exclusive offers. It will come in handy for textbooks and stuff for our new homes. If interested, just register your .edu e-mail address to your Amazon account, through the following link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup ... pe=generic

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Dear Class of 2016,

I wonder if international students were facing significant difficulties founding a summer internship or a job due to the situation with H-1B visas (they are capped and many companies look for "people authorized to work in the US," which could exclude F-1 authorization) and how are you dealing with it? I personally would love to work in New York (finance/banking) post-graduation but given the H-1B quota and the state of the labor reform I wonder what are my options to finding a job in say London after the CBS MBA? Anyone gone overseas do to H-1B problems? Any structured hiring for example for London out of CBS campus?

I would also highly appreciate any advice on coming legally to network and ideally intern in NY prior to the start of orientation, say from June/July?

Thanks in advance for any tips, which would be highly appreciated....
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived CBS Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our CBS Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated CBS Forum for all fresh things related to the CBS MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts