Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Common GMAT trap: 31X+25Y=280

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Common GMAT trap: 31X+25Y=280 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 15:46
I've noticed that one of the common DS traps is to give you an equation that seems like it needs two equations to solve but it really only needs one. For example:

Word translation = 31X+25Y=?

1)ratio is of X to Y is blah blah
2)sum is 280

Answer here is B. It comes out to 5 each. My question is on whether there is a shortcut to know if there is only one answer. testing all of the cases for a sum of 280 takes a lot of time. Can you be assured there is only one solution to the problem (if there is one at all, or course) if the coefficients dont share any factors?

HBS Class of 2014

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3602

Kudos [?]: 28680 [1] , given: 2808

Re: Common GMAT trap: 31X+25Y=280 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 00:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
alphastrike wrote:
I've noticed that one of the common DS traps is to give you an equation that seems like it needs two equations to solve but it really only needs one. For example:

2)sum is 280

Answer here is B. It comes out to 5 each. My question is on whether there is a shortcut to know if there is only one answer. testing all of the cases for a sum of 280 takes a lot of time. Can you be assured there is only one solution to the problem (if there is one at all, or course) if the coefficients dont share any factors?

First of all, 31*x+25*y=280 has infinitely many solutions, not just one.

It will have only one solution x=y=5 if x and y are restricted to positive integers only. In this case 31*x+25*y=280 is a special kind of equation (Diophantine equation) and you can encounter them in problems where x and y must be positive (nonnegative) integers only, for example when they represent # of people/items. Now, trial and error along with some common sense is pretty much the only way you should approach such kind of problems on the GMAT. You won't get some very tough numbers to manipulate with or there will be some shortcut available, based on multiples concept or on the answer choices. So generally you would have to try just couple of values to get the answer.

For example for this problem since 25*y and 280 are both multiples of 5, then 31y, or simply y, is also a multiple of 5. So you need to check ONLY one value: y=5 (since if y=10 then 31y=310>280) and see whether it yields integer solution for x (well if its given that x and y are positive integers and 31*x+25*y=280 then since only possible value of y is 5 then it must yield integer solution for x, in order the given statements to be true).

For more on this type of questions check:
eunice-sold-several-cakes-if-each-cake-sold-for-either-109602.html
martha-bought-several-pencils-if-each-pencil-was-either-a-100204.html
a-rental-car-agency-purchases-fleet-vehicles-in-two-sizes-a-105682.html
joe-bought-only-twenty-cent-stamps-and-thirty-cent-stamps-106212.html
a-certain-fruit-stand-sold-apples-for-0-70-each-and-bananas-101966.html
joanna-bought-only-0-15-stamps-and-0-29-stamps-how-many-101743.html

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1149

Kudos [?]: 5345 [1] , given: 165

Re: Common GMAT trap: 31X+25Y=280 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 03:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
alphastrike wrote:

2)sum is 280

Some time back, I wrote a post explaining how to work with such questions (and the variations you can expect to see and what to deduce from those). Check it out here:
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/06 ... -of-thumb/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Re: Common GMAT trap: 31X+25Y=280 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 11:00
Bunuel wrote:
alphastrike wrote:

2)sum is 280

First of all, 31*x+25*y=280 has infinitely many solutions, not just one.

It will have only one solution x=y=5 if x and y are restricted to positive integers only. In this case 31*x+25*y=280 is a special kind of equation (Diophantine equation) and you can encounter them in problems where x and y must be positive (nonnegative) integers only, for example when they represent # of people/items. Now, trial and error along with some common sense is pretty much the only way you should approach such kind of problems on the GMAT. You won't get some very tough numbers to manipulate with or there will be some shortcut available, based on multiples concept or on the answer choices. So generally you would have to try just couple of values to get the answer.

For example for this problem since 25*y and 280 are both multiples of 5, then 31y, or simply y, is also a multiple of 5. So you need to check ONLY one value: y=5 (since if y=10 then 31y=310>280) and see whether it yields integer solution for x (well if its given that x and y are positive integers and 31*x+25*y=280 then since only possible value of y is 5 then it must yield integer solution for x, in order the given statements to be true).

Hope it helps.

Thanks for clarifying that both are positive. I understand how to do te trial and error method and was looking for time savers. Once again you delivered. I never thought to use the factor of x + factor of x concept on this problem type...brilliant. Kudos time again.

HBS Class of 2014

Re: Common GMAT trap: 31X+25Y=280   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2012, 11:00