Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Converting Sample Questions in OG12 to Practice Test

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Converting Sample Questions in OG12 to Practice Test [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 19:58
Hi all,

I recently purchased OG12, as it was recommended because of all the sample questions it has. There are lots of math and verbal sample questions, however they are both in order of increasing difficulty.

So my question is: what is the best way of studying OG12?

Ideally, I would like to somehow organize the questions in a way that mimics the GMAT.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2322

Kudos [?]: 9409 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Converting Sample Questions in OG12 to Practice Test [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 00:35
Expert's post
boxx0r wrote:
Hi all,

I recently purchased OG12, as it was recommended because of all the sample questions it has. There are lots of math and verbal sample questions, however they are both in order of increasing difficulty.

So my question is: what is the best way of studying OG12?

Ideally, I would like to somehow organize the questions in a way that mimics the GMAT.

Thanks.

I don't think it has been done but It is a great idea and for one, I would support/help you in this endeavor.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Converting Sample Questions in OG12 to Practice Test [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 04:30
Well, OG 12 study plan would be a great topic, but you need to change its name to get the best result. The current one is awkward and redundant (sounds familiar? :wink: )

I am studying now for the GMAT as well. I started with Kaplan's verbal workbook, went through the rules and concepts and then proceeded to the OG. I have completed all the Sentence Corrections question and decided to do the following: I went again over the explanations of the questions I've got wrong and decided to memorize everything, but with the understanding so I don't forget it easily. It is crucial to keep error log of questions you've got wrong and what type they were (rhetorical construction, logical predication etc.). It will show you your weaknesses and guides where you need most improvement. So, once you realize what your biggest weaknesses are, work on them by using other books and guides that have more explanations.

You can apply this rule to other verbal sections and math as well. I would like to see other people's strategies as well. I would also like to stress the importance of volume; you can find lots of free samples on this forum!

Also, if you decide to make a new topic about thus subject, please provide us with a link

Good Luck

Set your aims high, carpe diem

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Converting Sample Questions in OG12 to Practice Test [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 08:56
jjovan15 wrote:
Well, OG 12 study plan would be a great topic, but you need to change its name to get the best result. The current one is awkward and redundant (sounds familiar? :wink: )

I am studying now for the GMAT as well. I started with Kaplan's verbal workbook, went through the rules and concepts and then proceeded to the OG. I have completed all the Sentence Corrections question and decided to do the following: I went again over the explanations of the questions I've got wrong and decided to memorize everything, but with the understanding so I don't forget it easily. It is crucial to keep error log of questions you've got wrong and what type they were (rhetorical construction, logical predication etc.). It will show you your weaknesses and guides where you need most improvement. So, once you realize what your biggest weaknesses are, work on them by using other books and guides that have more explanations.

You can apply this rule to other verbal sections and math as well. I would like to see other people's strategies as well. I would also like to stress the importance of volume; you can find lots of free samples on this forum!

Also, if you decide to make a new topic about thus subject, please provide us with a link

Good Luck

Thank you for the reply. I will be sure to keep the error log in mind.

As for sample test volume, I would like to get as many in as possible before I write the GMAT, so I'm going to make my way over to the Practice Test sticky for the best ones.

As for creating a practice test out of the questions, I'm starting to think it would be too difficult. Problem solving and data sufficiency are in two different sections, so people would need to flip back and forth from pages to be able to get a reasonably accurate sample test - and this would waste time and just wouldn't work.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.
Re: Converting Sample Questions in OG12 to Practice Test   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2009, 08:56