Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 560 Q45 V23
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [2]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3120 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Crash Landing at 560, Plan for Next Take off ? [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Sorry to hear about the unexpected score. In the last few days, I have come across quite a few such cases on the forum (had V35 in prep tests but V23 in the actual) so I thought of digging up a bit. Here are Brian's thoughts (and a couple of my comments to clarify) on why this might be taking place.

· A lot of prep RC passages are “old” in the longer-winded 400+ word count days, but the newer passages are shorter and denser *and* everyone seems to get 4 passages.

· I have to bet the official SC is getting tougher and I think we have a little advantage here (since we use a reasoning based approach to SC too). Especially among the forum crowd you have a lot of memorizers who might have gotten by on previous “memorize between vs. among” or “memorize such as vs. like” questions but now they’re more reasoning-based (more questions based on accurate meaning). And I doubt the most popular tests have caught up, so they’re practicing for older questions.

· Really the best explanation I have is that the test is evolving faster than some popular practice tests.

· ALSO – I wonder how many prep tests are from people doing AWA/IR first…I bet IR saps people’s energy more than they think and they’re losing focus toward the end.

· Perhaps a downside to a lot of forum time...I wonder if students had seen enough practice test questions discussed on the forums - or direct ripoffs and variations of them -that their scores were a little inflated.

On the whole, the point is that actual GMAT is tougher than some popular practice tests. These tests have probably been the same for the past 3-4 yrs though the pattern especially of Verbal has changed drastically.

My suggestion going forward will be to adapt yourself to the new GMAT - shorter but denser RCs and reasoning based SCs. Try to get hold of some latest tests for two reasons - the questions would be better suited to the current GMAT and the questions would be *new* i.e. they wouldn't have been discussed on the forum before. Also, web based tests are better than downloadable one. (One neat feature of our new tests is that they're web based and easy to update, so we can update, add, and delete questions instantly.)

This really hits the nail on the head.... I especially agree with the point about SC... I don't remember seeing any questions invloving idioms as the error and I do think a lot of the SCs were ones that dealt with meaning and clarity.. @Karishma.. I think it would be a good idea to make this post a new thread maybe with a title like "GMAT Verbal - Practice Vs Actual"
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
MacFauz wrote:
@Karishma.. I think it would be a good idea to make this post a new thread maybe with a title like "GMAT Verbal - Practice Vs Actual"

That's a good idea. Let me see what I can do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
OG 13 is d BIBLE for GMAT..

If you can understand the CR n SC concepts from the practice questions of OG13, i bet you can drastically improve your score. If not 720... it can get u 680 to 700 for sure.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
I think you should try E-Gmat. They're exclusively for verbal, and I had seen lots of students get a better understanding with the E-Gmat. As I said, your math score looks alright, I think E-Gmat would be appropriate. Give it a try. They're not that expensive, and they're very comprehensive/detailed about each type of question. Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
smartmanav wrote:
OG 13 is d BIBLE for GMAT..

If you can understand the CR n SC concepts from the practice questions of OG13, i bet you can drastically improve your score. If not 720... it can get u 680 to 700 for sure.

Thanks smartmanav for your reply, i have already thoroughly completed the OG with good accuracy rate on CR and SC. I am simply not able to find a reason for the drastic low scores on Verbal. I have a feeling that now GMAT penalties more heavily for each wrong question on Verbal section. :\

But no matter what, i have got to improve Verbal to a level where my overall score can reach the 700 zone.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
haiyen2189 wrote:
I think you should try E-Gmat. They're exclusively for verbal, and I had seen lots of students get a better understanding with the E-Gmat. As I said, your math score looks alright, I think E-Gmat would be appropriate. Give it a try. They're not that expensive, and they're very comprehensive/detailed about each type of question. Good luck.

That's what i have in my mind now. Have heard good reviews about E-gmat. But not sure whether it's schedule will align with mine, i want to give test prior to 15 sept, so that i don't miss the ISB deadline. :\
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nikhiil wrote:
haiyen2189 wrote:

That's what i have in my mind now. Have heard good reviews about E-gmat. But not sure whether it's schedule will align with mine, i want to give test prior to 15 sept, so that i don't miss the ISB deadline. :\

You can just use their materials. I myself used their materials and thought that it's much more comprehensive compare to other books. Taking courses wasn't necessary. I think if you take the time to read their books you'll basically have the course covered in a much cost effective and time sufficient way.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
haiyen2189 wrote:
nikhiil wrote:
haiyen2189 wrote:

You can just use their materials. I myself used their materials and thought that it's much more comprehensive compare to other books. Taking courses wasn't necessary. I think if you take the time to read their books you'll basically have the course covered in a much cost effective and time sufficient way.

Do they sell books ? I didn't see any on their website. Am i missing something ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That's what i have in my mind now. Have heard good reviews about E-gmat. But not sure whether it's schedule will align with mine, i want to give test prior to 15 sept, so that i don't miss the ISB deadline. :\[/quote]
You can just use their materials. I myself used their materials and thought that it's much more comprehensive compare to other books. Taking courses wasn't necessary. I think if you take the time to read their books you'll basically have the course covered in a much cost effective and time sufficient way.[/quote]

Do they sell books ? I didn't see any on their website. Am i missing something ?[/quote]
Well if you go into their "Pricing section" you'll see them selling different packages, including study materials. There's no need for the live class unless you think your score was attributed to your lack of understanding a concept through reading, and you need someone else to explain it to you. I'm that person who can never learn anything on my own, so I took some live prep courses and even face to face, but to be honest, if you can read through their materials, it's faster because you go at your own pace, not theirs.
GMAT Club Bot