Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [8]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64931 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Re: Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
paisaj87 wrote:
Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant rate of 3 miles per hour, or she can ride the train to work at a constant rate of 20 miles per hour. If she rides the train, there is an additional x minutes spent walking to the nearest train station, waiting for the train, and walking from the final train station to her work. If it takes Darcy a total of 15 more minutes to commute to work by walking than it takes her to commute to work by riding the train, what is the value of x?

In such long stem questions, analyse each sentence as you go.

"Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant rate of 3 miles per hour," - When she walks, she takes 1/2 hr or 30 mins to reach work.

"or she can ride the train to work at a constant rate of 20 miles per hour." - When she takes the train, she takes (1.5/20)*60 mins = 4.5 mins to reach work.

"If she rides the train, there is an additional x minutes spent walking to the nearest train station, waiting for the train, and walking from the final train station to her work." - Time taken to reach work by train = 4.5 + x

"If it takes Darcy a total of 15 more minutes to commute to work by walking than it takes her to commute to work by riding the train," - it takes her 30 mins to walk so it takes her 15 mins to go by train.

"what is the value of x? "
15 = 4.5 + x
x = 10.5
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Given Kudos: 196
Send PM
Re: Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant [#permalink]
Kudos
Ok, for this one I know that we have nice algebraic solutions. Try eliminating answer choices.
Speed when walking = 3 miles per hour => to travel 1.5 we need 30 minutes of walking. Total time taken by train = 15 minutes . This includes train journey time and walking and waiting time (x). Now x must be less than 15.
The only answer that fits the bill is A i.e. 10.5.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant [#permalink]
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
paisaj87 wrote:
Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant rate of 3 miles per hour, or she can ride the train to work at a constant rate of 20 miles per hour. If she rides the train, there is an additional x minutes spent walking to the nearest train station, waiting for the train, and walking from the final train station to her work. If it takes Darcy a total of 15 more minutes to commute to work by walking than it takes her to commute to work by riding the train, what is the value of x?

"Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant rate of 3 miles per hour," - When she walks, she takes 1/2 hr or 30 mins to reach work.

"or she can ride the train to work at a constant rate of 20 miles per hour." - When she takes the train, she takes (1.5/20)*60 mins = 4.5 mins to reach work.

"If she rides the train, there is an additional x minutes spent walking to the nearest train station, waiting for the train, and walking from the final train station to her work." - Time taken to reach work by train = 4.5 + x

"If it takes Darcy a total of 15 more minutes to commute to work by walking than it takes her to commute to work by riding the train," - it takes her 30 mins to walk so it takes her 15 mins to go by train.

15 = 4.5 + x
x = 10.5

Why are we assuming that the distance between Darcy's home to work(which is 1.5 miles) is the same distance between the two stations?

If you're answer is any of the following :

- There is no other information given so, we should assume.
-We need an answer and hence this is the only way to get as we would not get an answer if we bring in other distance variable.
-you've got to work with what you have.
-Assuming like this is correct and this is very much a GMAT like question.

Then, I'm scared, very very scared!! a person like me who is moving at Q45-47 is very very scared!! Help :(
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64931 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
SOUMYAJIT_ wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
paisaj87 wrote:

15 = 4.5 + x
x = 10.5

Why are we assuming that the distance between Darcy's home to work(which is 1.5 miles) is the same distance between the two stations?

If you're answer is any of the following :

- There is no other information given so, we should assume.
-We need an answer and hence this is the only way to get as we would not get an answer if we bring in other distance variable.
-you've got to work with what you have.
-Assuming like this is correct and this is very much a GMAT like question.

Then, I'm scared, very very scared!! a person like me who is moving at Q45-47 is very very scared!! Help :(

Actual GMAT questions will usually not require you to make assumptions. That said, there are experimental questions in the actual test too and if you are unable to solve a PS question without making an assumption, make it and move on.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35496 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant [#permalink]
Expert Reply
paisaj87 wrote:

A. 10.5
B. 15
C. 25.5
D. 30
E. 60

I did this problem in roughly the same way as ajdse22 above.

I suspect I got a little lucky (just two quick calculations in my head and no algebra with respect to train's rate and X minutes).

While reading the question, I calculated in my head that it took her half an hour or 30 minutes to walk to work.

The last sentence says "15 more minutes" to walk than time taken for "train-plus-extra [that they're calling X minutes]." Or, walk time - 15 gives us the time for train-plus-extra. (30 - 15) means she has only 15 minutes for that train-plus-extra route.

A quick glance at answers; B, 15, caught my eye. If the extra, X minutes, were 15 minutes, 15 (what she has) - 15 (answer choice) = 0. There would be no time for the train. Answer has to be less than 15. There's one choice: A.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6276 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Expert Reply
paisaj87 wrote:

A. 10.5
B. 15
C. 25.5
D. 30
E. 60

We are given that the distance to work is 1.5 miles. Thus, the time it takes Darcy to walk to work is 1.5/3 = 15/30 = 1/2 hour, or 30 minutes.

When she takes the train, her time is x + 1.5/20 = x + 15/200 = x + 3/40 hours. Let’s convert 3/40 hours to minutes:

3/40 hours = 3/40 x 60 = 4.5 minutes

Since she spends 15 more minutes walking than she does taking the train:

4.5 + x + 15 = 30

x = 10.5 minutes

Answer: A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Send PM
misunderstood and as the result overcomplicated the question
I was under impression that this 1.5 miles commute includes train and walking as well :)) so that:
1.5/20 + 1.5-x/ 3= 0.25h

sometimes I really trick myself more than the question does :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1561 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
paisaj87 wrote:

A. 10.5
B. 15
C. 25.5
D. 30
E. 60

it seems to me that the equation ought to look like this:
1.5/3-[(1.5-3x/60)/20]+x/60=1/4
can someone point out my error?
thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Send PM
gracie wrote:
paisaj87 wrote:

A. 10.5
B. 15
C. 25.5
D. 30
E. 60

it seems to me that the equation ought to look like this:
1.5/3-[(1.5-3x/60)/20]+x/60=1/4
can someone point out my error?
thank you.

plz read my comment above
she travels 1,5 entirely by taking train

so it's more like:
1.5/20 + x minutes for walking to/from the train station= 15 minutes
4.5 minutes + x minutes = 10.5 minutes
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92929 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts