It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 17:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 7

Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2016, 08:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

69% (02:03) correct 31% (02:17) wrong based on 105 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant rate of 3 miles per hour, or she can ride the train to work at a constant rate of 20 miles per hour. If she rides the train, there is an additional x minutes spent walking to the nearest train station, waiting for the train, and walking from the final train station to her work. If it takes Darcy a total of 15 more minutes to commute to work by walking than it takes her to commute to work by riding the train, what is the value of x?

A. 10.5
B. 15
C. 25.5
D. 30
E. 60
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"No pain, no gain

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 7

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [1], given: 6

Re: Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2016, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
The time it takes Darcy to walk to work is (1.5/3)*60 = 30 minutes
The time it takes Darcy to take the train is (1.5/20)*60 + x = 4.5 + x minutes

It takes 15 minutes longer to walk, so 30 = 4.5 + x + 15

x=10.5 minutes

Answer: A

Dave de Koos
GMAT aficionado

Kudos [?]: 96 [1], given: 6

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 36

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2016, 19:09
paisaj87 wrote:
Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant rate of 3 miles per hour, or she can ride the train to work at a constant rate of 20 miles per hour. If she rides the train, there is an additional x minutes spent walking to the nearest train station, waiting for the train, and walking from the final train station to her work. If it takes Darcy a total of 15 more minutes to commute to work by walking than it takes her to commute to work by riding the train, what is the value of x?

Using the Formula
t= d/v where t=time taken , d= distance , v = avg speed
We get t for walk is = 1.5/3=15/30=1/2 hour = 30 minutes
we get t for train journey = 1.5/20=15/200=3/40 hours = (3/40)*60 = 9/2 minutes = 4.5 minutes
since x minutes is taken additionally for train commute we must add x to 4.5 to get x+4.5 minutes. Still this is 15 minutes less than time taken by walking.
So,
x+4.5+15 = 30
=> x = 10.5

Answer (A)

Hope this helps

The Mind ~ Muscle Connection
My GMAT Journey is Complete.Going to start the MBA in Information Management from 2016
Good Luck everyone.

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 36

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 16962 [0], given: 230

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2016, 21:54
paisaj87 wrote:

In such long stem questions, analyse each sentence as you go.

"Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant rate of 3 miles per hour," - When she walks, she takes 1/2 hr or 30 mins to reach work.

"or she can ride the train to work at a constant rate of 20 miles per hour." - When she takes the train, she takes (1.5/20)*60 mins = 4.5 mins to reach work.

"If she rides the train, there is an additional x minutes spent walking to the nearest train station, waiting for the train, and walking from the final train station to her work." - Time taken to reach work by train = 4.5 + x

"If it takes Darcy a total of 15 more minutes to commute to work by walking than it takes her to commute to work by riding the train," - it takes her 30 mins to walk so it takes her 15 mins to go by train.

"what is the value of x? "
15 = 4.5 + x
x = 10.5

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [2], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2016, 05:09
This post received
KUDOS
Ok, for this one I know that we have nice algebraic solutions. Try eliminating answer choices.
Speed when walking = 3 miles per hour => to travel 1.5 we need 30 minutes of walking. Total time taken by train = 15 minutes . This includes train journey time and walking and waiting time (x). Now x must be less than 15.
The only answer that fits the bill is A i.e. 10.5.

Kudos [?]: 10 [2], given: 196

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests
Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 03:29
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
paisaj87 wrote:

"Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant rate of 3 miles per hour," - When she walks, she takes 1/2 hr or 30 mins to reach work.

"or she can ride the train to work at a constant rate of 20 miles per hour." - When she takes the train, she takes (1.5/20)*60 mins = 4.5 mins to reach work.

"If she rides the train, there is an additional x minutes spent walking to the nearest train station, waiting for the train, and walking from the final train station to her work." - Time taken to reach work by train = 4.5 + x

"If it takes Darcy a total of 15 more minutes to commute to work by walking than it takes her to commute to work by riding the train," - it takes her 30 mins to walk so it takes her 15 mins to go by train.

15 = 4.5 + x
x = 10.5

Why are we assuming that the distance between Darcy's home to work(which is 1.5 miles) is the same distance between the two stations?

If you're answer is any of the following :

- There is no other information given so, we should assume.
-We need an answer and hence this is the only way to get as we would not get an answer if we bring in other distance variable.
-you've got to work with what you have.
-Assuming like this is correct and this is very much a GMAT like question.

Then, I'm scared, very very scared!! a person like me who is moving at Q45-47 is very very scared!! Help :(

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 04:12
SOUMYAJIT_ wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
paisaj87 wrote:

15 = 4.5 + x
x = 10.5

Why are we assuming that the distance between Darcy's home to work(which is 1.5 miles) is the same distance between the two stations?

If you're answer is any of the following :

- There is no other information given so, we should assume.
-We need an answer and hence this is the only way to get as we would not get an answer if we bring in other distance variable.
-you've got to work with what you have.
-Assuming like this is correct and this is very much a GMAT like question.

Then, I'm scared, very very scared!! a person like me who is moving at Q45-47 is very very scared!! Help :(

Actual GMAT questions will usually not require you to make assumptions. That said, there are experimental questions in the actual test too and if you are unable to solve a PS question without making an assumption, make it and move on.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 501

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 14:10
paisaj87 wrote:

A. 10.5
B. 15
C. 25.5
D. 30
E. 60

I did this problem in roughly the same way as ajdse22 above.

I suspect I got a little lucky (just two quick calculations in my head and no algebra with respect to train's rate and X minutes).

While reading the question, I calculated in my head that it took her half an hour or 30 minutes to walk to work.

The last sentence says "15 more minutes" to walk than time taken for "train-plus-extra [that they're calling X minutes]." Or, walk time - 15 gives us the time for train-plus-extra. (30 - 15) means she has only 15 minutes for that train-plus-extra route.

A quick glance at answers; B, 15, caught my eye. If the extra, X minutes, were 15 minutes, 15 (what she has) - 15 (answer choice) = 0. There would be no time for the train. Answer has to be less than 15. There's one choice: A.

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 501

Expert Post
Target Test Prep Representative
S
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 765 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 10:37
paisaj87 wrote:

A. 10.5
B. 15
C. 25.5
D. 30
E. 60

We are given that the distance to work is 1.5 miles. Thus, the time it takes Darcy to walk to work is 1.5/3 = 15/30 = 1/2 hour, or 30 minutes.

When she takes the train, her time is x + 1.5/20 = x + 15/200 = x + 3/40 hours. Let’s convert 3/40 hours to minutes:

3/40 hours = 3/40 x 60 = 4.5 minutes

Since she spends 15 more minutes walking than she does taking the train:

4.5 + x + 15 = 30

x = 10.5 minutes

Answer: A

Jeffery Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Kudos [?]: 765 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 120

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 12:41
misunderstood and as the result overcomplicated the question
I was under impression that this 1.5 miles commute includes train and walking as well :)) so that:
1.5/20 + 1.5-x/ 3= 0.25h

sometimes I really trick myself more than the question does :)

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 14:52
paisaj87 wrote:

A. 10.5
B. 15
C. 25.5
D. 30
E. 60

it seems to me that the equation ought to look like this:
1.5/3-[(1.5-3x/60)/20]+x/60=1/4
can someone point out my error?
thank you.

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 15:48
gracie wrote:
paisaj87 wrote:

A. 10.5
B. 15
C. 25.5
D. 30
E. 60

it seems to me that the equation ought to look like this:
1.5/3-[(1.5-3x/60)/20]+x/60=1/4
can someone point out my error?
thank you.

plz read my comment above
she travels 1,5 entirely by taking train

so it's more like:
1.5/20 + x minutes for walking to/from the train station= 15 minutes
4.5 minutes + x minutes = 10.5 minutes

Re: Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2017, 15:48

Darcy lives 1.5 miles from work. She can walk to work at a constant

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap