Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is an extremely personal issue for me, and I don't know if I can write well enough to do justice to what I want to say. I know I don't post much, but I feel the need to say something. I graduated from high school in 1999 in Littleton, CO. I had friends at Columbine.

There are at least 32 people dead, and many more injured. 31 people cut down by a madman. 31 students and professors - 31 sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers. That university community is going through HELL right now. There are no words to describe what the friends and families of the victims are going through.

I'm not trying to belittle or criticize this debate. It's an important issue and I don't know what the answer is, if there is one. But there will be plenty of time in the coming days and weeks to debate laws and rights, to place blame and argue points. I just want to ask that today, you take a minute or two to truly mourn what has happened and feel for those who are suffering today.

That's all. Sorry to interrupt.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
klong009 wrote:
This is an extremely personal issue for me, and I don't know if I can write well enough to do justice to what I want to say. I know I don't post much, but I feel the need to say something. I graduated from high school in 1999 in Littleton, CO. I had friends at Columbine.

There are at least 32 people dead, and many more injured. 31 people cut down by a madman. 31 students and professors - 31 sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers. That university community is going through HELL right now. There are no words to describe what the friends and families of the victims are going through.

I'm not trying to belittle or criticize this debate. It's an important issue and I don't know what the answer is, if there is one. But there will be plenty of time in the coming days and weeks to debate laws and rights, to place blame and argue points. I just want to ask that today, you take a minute or two to truly mourn what has happened and feel for those who are suffering today.

Thank You...

I started to post the very same thought but could not find the right way to do so...

You have done so thoughtfully and perfectly..

What a sad day...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
klong009 wrote:

Well said.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
Based on your argument, it appears that that you are probably OK with LSD in elementary schools and paedophiles on the net. We as humans have the maturity to evaluate the pros/cons of any particular proposal to reach a rational decision. Let's not confuse apples with oranges.

pelihu wrote:
lhotseface wrote:
US has one of the highest crime rates among developed nation. I think it is naive to assume that gun control will have no effect on fatal violence. Yes, people can still kill with knives. But killing with knives requires more skill and the killer needs to move his fat ass for hours to kill 20 people. I am usually a proponent of freedom of expression. Not in this instance.

What if he used his car? I bet someone could kill a lot more people by driving into a crowd with an SUV than with virtually any gun. Should we go ahead and get rid of those?

Off the top of my head, the most prolific serial killers have not used guns. If you think about Dahmer, Gacey, BTK, Green River, etc., their killings were precipitated by guile and misinformation. Perhaps we should outlaw all forms of communication - that would assure is that serial killers couldn't make contact with their victims.

Not sure if you recall the incident, but about six years ago in Osaka, Japan a deranged lunatic CLIMBED OVER a 7' high fence and barged onto a school campus brutally stabbing 12 students to death with a household kitchen knife (several others were seriously injured).

The point is, if somebody wants to commit homicide on a grand scale, there are innumerable ways of doing so; even if we did ban guns, ammunition, install metal detectors, employed more police, erected higher walls, etc.

It's the motive behind the attacks that really needs to be isolated before we can take action to reduce the likihood of a similiar event from reoccuring.

Originally posted by GMATT73 on 16 Apr 2007, 17:34.
Last edited by GMATT73 on 16 Apr 2007, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
How many violent crimes has Japan had in the last 50 years ? Is it legal to
possess concealed semi-automatic guns there ? The number of shooting related crimes in cities like Oakland are unimaginable. It stands at around one homicide every 2-3 days.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2