Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 09:49 It is currently 09 May 2024, 09:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Dealing with Family [#permalink]
You are not alone. When I first started the process my parents looked at me like I'd decided to join a cult, saying, "Why would you do something like that?" I even got a, "I don't understand. Would you get a degree out of it?" I also got a lot of "This doesn't sound like a very good idea. You know those guys from Enron had gone to business school."

Of course, my parents have no point, and maybe yours does. But in the end I'll regret if I don't go. Once they realized I was going through with it and they could either be with me or by the wayside, they started going along with it a little more (especially after they saw the gender ratios...).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
If you aren't afraid of being vulnerable about it, offer her your goals/why MBA essay and ask for her feedback. Maybe reading it will give her confidence in your conviction. I daresay it may even strengthen the trust between you two.

Career goals were never something I sought to share with my parents. (I tend to think of them as old-fashioned, and their advice about as relevant today as disco hotpants and platform shoes. :D) But I surprised myself by sending my essays to my father. It wasn't to get useful feedback, but moreso for his benefit to understand the motivating forces that are driving me to give up a well-paying job with upward mobility, and uprooting myself in order to move to part of the world where I have no experience in... to pursue an MBA.

Your essays will inevitably be very personal. And it would be very difficult for anyone, especially a parent, to stomp on your career aspirations after reading such an exposition. If you aren't afraid to share, maybe this is the way to go. It's also much easier to have someone read a complete development of your thoughts on paper, instead of communicating by conversation where you risk being interrupted or having the subject derailed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
Glad to hear I am not alone. As for dealing with my mother -thanks for the advice - but no thanks =) We don't want to open that can of worms. :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
My mother told me I had no shot at the schools I was applying to. She kept telling me to apply to Babson or some local school PT. My wife's mother and grandmother think its terrible that I am going to quit my job and go back to school, while she has to work to support us. They are very old school and think my wife who turns 28 shortly should be having babies now not supporting me as I go to school.

My mother now brags about my going to Kellogg. My dad was fairly supportive but I dont think he really believed I would pull it off. My father in-law thinks its awesome, he is a total blue-collar guy and I think he realizes had he been able to afford college and gone he woudl be much better off.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I'm in a similar situation except my significant other is the problem and not my parents. They know that I've wanted to do this for years and fully support me, it's my girlfriend that is not as keen on the idea. Currently, she lives in another state, and if that was the only problem i'd probably say adios!, but we have a son together and she is planning on moving to be with me very soon. I really have no idea how this will affect our relationship, but suffice to say, probably not good. She never went to college and she would be perfectly content just to be a mother and work part time. She lacks the quality that burns so strongly in all of us, and that is ambition. No one here could go through the year long process and 2 years of business school without it. Some people don't understand.

With that being said, I have no idea how things are going to be by the time I matriculate somewhere. But you know what really bugs me about her is she tried to veto Chicago if i got into Kellogg or Chicago. I told her she must have lost her mind!!! :lol: That is exactly where I AM going if I get into either of those schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Funny, my wife and her family (who immigrated to the US about 7 years ago) all think my going to school is a brilliant idea. My family (lived in the US for 150 years) think I am a fool.=) Go America~ :roll:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
My parents both have advanced degrees too, but since my mother is a teacher and my father is a retired school administrator they didnt understand the importance of the name. My uncle who was an IB had to explain to my mother he wouldnt even consider hiring someone from outside of half a dozen schools...name means everything.

My wife has been amazingly supportive about the whole thing. She was great, she dealt with my obsession with applying (and this site), visited schools, and everything I could ask of her. I think after DAK she is more excited about the whole thing than I am...she met a ton of other women in the same position as her and really got along with them. She is probably going to have more fun than I will.

JB, your gf will probably love Evanston and Kellogg if you end up there. The JV group is super supportive and very tight knit. Everyone lives in a very tight area and the wives seem to be very involved in the school and with each other. Much more so than any other school I visited or researched, well Tuck is very close but there are a lot less for significant others to do for jobs and fun up there.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
It's not Chicago, Evanston or anywhere specific for those reasons, it's the cold first and foremost. She's trying to veto anywhere above a line that is at about the 33rd parallel. I couldn't even go to Emory or McCombs if that's the case! Most of the best schools are in the frozen north! :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
How about a nice compromise
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
My mom was freaked about finding me a husband if i do a MBA (am an Indian) and whether we can afford it. I explained the whole financial aid thingie. She kinda realized i wasnt about to give up and finally let me do my thing.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
toDoorNot wrote:
My mom was freaked about finding me a husband if i do a MBA (am an Indian) and whether we can afford it. I explained the whole financial aid thingie. She kinda realized i wasnt about to give up and finally let me do my thing.

Just tell your mom there are lots of single guys at B-school who will be making very good livings in a few years.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My mom has been nothing but supportive in my quest, telling me to "relax" and "what's destined to happen will happen, no need to stress about it." :P Maybe she had the same crystal ball that NC gazed into? :wink:

My dad has an MBA and always thought I should get an MBA, so no problem with him either.

I think pretty much all of the people around me have been supportive, especially after I explain my reasoning to them. My only advice to those who have loved ones presenting resistance is to just go and do what your heart tells you to do. Life's too short to live for someone else. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Both my parents have no qualifications. They started work at 15. However they live in a different country to me so haven`t been able to support or disapprove. When i told them my plans, they just said it`s up to you! When i told them one of the places i was applying to is HKUST, they started rooting for me to go there because of family connections. But they still said it was up to me where i went because i`m paying for it :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Luckily, my parents stopped having any say in those kinds of decisions long ago. They trust I know what I am doing and am just happy to see how excited I am. Of course, the fact that I long outstripped them in income (they are both public school teachers) has something to do with it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Yeah, I am hoping she will "fall in line" as it will make life much easier. But, since I've been living on my own since i graduated high school, she hasn't got much (ok, ANY) say in the matter =)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Spoke to my mom recently- and she wants me to REAPPLY if I dont get into W or K (which most probably I wont anyways). She knows just a few schools (HSWK) and has not heard of either Michigan or Duke. And she recently saw the FT rankings which were splashed across all the newspapers in India as ISB was ranked #20 and to think that Ross is #26 did not help either. Just amused...but then I am obviously not going through this hellish process again...:)

On a side note: the % salary increase from one of the top Indian b-schools is ridiculous- about 100-200%, if not more. So a lot of my family who are not very well aware of the reality, expect the same here...if only it were true...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I've been really lucky so far. My parents are the blue collar (think John Mellancamp and a beat-up chevy truck in the background) and they have always pushed my siblings and I to get as much education as possible and to see the world vs the living the "tough" life. In-laws are immigrants and all for me going back for more education (as long as we don't put having kids on hold for too long :wink: )
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4