Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.24
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
Devastated after a poor 520 in GMAT [#permalink]
Perhaps start with the mangattan verbal fundamentals and move onto the SC next. Developing a solid understanding of the english language will help you a lot.

I also believe doing sc first will help you in understanding rc and cr questions more efficiently, helping you increase your verbal mark.

Don't feel too bad about your mark. Your quant score is great!
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Devastated after a poor 520 in GMAT [#permalink]
I'll try to answer in 2 parts....first in response to can I improve...buddy believe me, its all in the mind...u just need to shun that load of fear.....my prose below is an effort towards....

2nd...How ?
sc is the easiest to improve.....u have to learn to PARSE ie breaking down every answer choice into the main concepts tested....modifier, parallelism, sv agreement.

go through ron purewals video on mgmat vimeo " thursdays with ron " on each of the above...

then go through his video on " new ways to deal sc"....there u wll learn about parsing

come back and try to parse first 50 og qns...say take modifier...what is the modifier, what is it modifying, where is it placed....then dont solve the qn...only strike off the ones that u think is not modifying properly....thats it n move on...after 50 qns come back n see whether u hvnt struck off the right answer...had u struck off the right answer check the explanation to find what modification u cldnt identify......practise in this way for all sv, parallelism too...this wll strengthen ur fundamentals and believe me when u approach a qn next time, u wll b able to spot the error bang on......trust me, this approach wll do wonders.......

for cr : go through his video...u just hv 2 hv ur common sense...forget everything...try to see whethet u are able to understand what the argument is saying in lay mans words...if yes, without looking at the answrrs write ur own answer atleast 2 for the first 50 og qns.....u wll b amazed to find how atructured ur thought ptocess has become n now u dont seqrch through the maze of 5 choices but the answer just leaps oit infront of u.

for rc : my take, read it well...understand...try to understand the transition words such ad however, thrrefore, inaddition...the first n the last sent of each para gives u some clue...n u wll find they are bind coherently to convey the msg....practise practise practise...n u wll get a hang

dont worry about timing....as ur accuracy increases, fundamentals get strengthened...timing will come..yes, timing is just a fn of time...there are more imp levers to frown upon....

enough of my rambles....

the worst enemy is fear
but, shattering of ur dreams....can u bear?

I dont know, but I fear
try once, the film smeared on the core....can you not tear?

the outcome might not be good...I still fear
may be..but future is far....isn't the present near

I still fear, things might be in a mess
yes, but then you can always redress

I still fear, what if i fail
might be, but then you wll learn, how to sail

I still fear, the magnitude of failure
mmm thats valid...but can you not hear the voices of the Saviour

I still fear, what if I am badly hit
true, you just learnt...you were not a fit

ok ok ok ok....so answer me, Fear, how can I tame?
bro...only remind urself....if u cannot do a thing of ur choice, can u live with shame?

take Fear head on, its a must
And u wll be happy to see, fear biting the dust

just chill bro, u wll surely nail it this time......here, harry moves his magic wand....
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Devastated after a poor 520 in GMAT [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts