Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 02:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Disappointing score and Experience in Rome

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Disappointing score and Experience in Rome [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 10:41
Hi All

Unfortunatelly I took the test few days a go and I got a 490 (Q33 V24), I do not know how that happened I tought to be at a higher level on both sections but instead tose where the results.... I should have planned my study for a longer period rather than for just a month considering that I am a non native speaker (I am Italian) and currently in a non english speaking country. I do not really know what to do now, before the test I just studied on the books, but I did not had the time to go over the OG considering that I have the 11th OG the verbal and the Quantitative one neither I took the powerprep or the GMAT prep tests or any CAT test available to me. For sure from now on I will activelly participate to this site but I need suggestion on how I can organize my study material that is the following:

OG 11, the Verbal and Quantitative
Princeton 2006
Kaplan Math work book
Kaplan 800
Kaplan Verbal
the 9 paper ETS test
project GMAT (book that wasnt touched)
5 MGMAT books (not The equations one)
Arco Master GMAT 2006
GRE / GMAT Math Review ARCO
1000 CR, SC RC, DS, PS
Kaplan Power
CR Powerscore bible

Basically I have overseen the material but I couldn't get deep into it I did not took any of the CAT or internet tets of the listed material.

My point is can I reach by the end of August (a bit less than 2 months from now) a score in the 600-650 range (considering that I have to study only for this test) and how I should use all the listed material......

Ah by they way I want to give a suggestion, do not schedule your test in the Rome testing center, my appointment was scheduled at 9 am and they showed up at 9:15 I was about to freak out I was the only test taker that day, there was no air conditioning in the testing room and I leave to your immagination how hot and Humid can be Rome during summer, the only positive thing is that insted of the erasing bord they gave to me paper and pencil telling me that is a measure adopted in order to help the left handed test takers, even if they go against the pearson vue rules, they had complaints from the past test takers

thanks a lot for your suggestions

“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.â€

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 11:50
1 month... non-speaking english country... non-native speaker... grasping fundumentals from bunch of books... not practicing GMATPrep or PowerPrep...

should I go on? IMO this is a definite recipe for disaster :cry:

if you are taking this seriously you have to completely change your strategy to succeed the 2nd time around...

I am in at least 1 of your shoes, because I am in a speaking-english country, yet I am ESL as well and had the same verbal score and overall score of 500... the good news is that you spent only 1 month to achieve it... I had the same strategy but it took me longer than that... conclusion: you aren't doing so bad considering your circumstances!!! so first of all... congrats... people score lower than you, so don't be upset...

now to you strategy... others might give you better advice, but I suggest you focus on fundumentals and the OG first, since you already know basics about GMAT (sections, time, types of questions, etc)

1) if you need to brush up on fundumentals/strategies use the basic math material (MGMATs, Kaplan Math Workbook, Arco Math for GMAT/GRE)
From these I would really focus on the 1st two... and I practiced with all of those at different stages of studying)

2) After getting down you fundumentals with math, do all the problems in OG 11 (the thick one with 800 questions, save the 2 reviews for the last couple of weeks before the test) Diligently go over *EVERY* problem and *EVERY* choice (right/wrong) to make sure you know how you arrived to the answer and why others are wrong!!! I can't stress "every* part enough... hope you get an idea!

3) Verbal is HARD to improve, but I believe it is possible. CRs and RCs require practice, in my opinion, and same strategy here "GO OVER EVERY ANSWER CHOICE" especially in CR and understand why the wrong ones are wrong... I was able to improve my logic quite dramatically after A LOT of practicing CRs... RC might be tough... I can't say anything about it yet, as I am struggling with it as well... SC, often said, easiest to improve, but you definitely need MGMAT here and sleep on it every day!!!

4) start taking CATs after you nail fundumentals, don't waste those, especially GMATPrep and PowerPrep... beware that those overlap with OG and your 9 paper tests!

5) try to identify your weakest links while doing all of this... error log, patterns, do whatever suits you, but this part is crucial... first find the general parts of the test that you think you are weak at (PS, DS, RC, SC or CRs), then zoom in on the type of questions (PS: algebra, geometry, etc... DS: number properties, equalities, etc... CRs: inference, weaken, etc... and so on) for that you have to know the types of questions and be able to quickly identify those upon reading the question first...

I don't know what else to tell you for now, but the most important point of all mentioned above is KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE... don't let the 1st attempt drown you... take it as a base and keep on climbing up!!! And be sure that there is someone else on another continent doing the same thing as you are doing. And under any circumstances DON'T GIVE UP!!!

Last, but not least, stick around this club... you will get some great tips about how to go about your prep... you might hear a lot of opinions, but choose to follow the one that suits you the most and one that you see improvement from... you need a lot of dedication and discipline to do this, so train yourself...

Sincerely, GOOD LUCK and I hope to see you around.

PS one last point... you might consider reading some english material like The Economist, WSJ or Scientific American, since you don't speak english on a daily basis... I can imagine how hard it is to study in english, when someone walks in and speaks another language to you...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1528 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 13:27
l'esame e difficile, pero, per la tua prima volta, francamente, con solo un mese di studio... mica tanto male.

Siamo tutti qui per aiutarti!

Sto per uscire a prendermi un a birra, quando torno, se non sono troppo sfasciato, rispondo con un messago per bene.

A dopo...

Non ti preoccupare - vedrai - ce la farai!

A proposito, .... sensa aria condizionata? A roma? In Luglio? Porca troya!!

English translation:

Not bad really considering, we are all here to help, I am going out for a beer, and I'll write more when I get back, assuming im not totally hosed. Don't worry, you'll see - you will make it. Also, no air conditioning? In rome? In June? Holy crap.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 14:19
Thank you a lot I really appreciate your support, I think that probably as first move I ll move for next two months in a place where I will be able to speak English, I was considering to move in UK for next two months and just study there, but probably I would rather go where I will apply for the master in the Netherlands, at the RSM (Rotterdam School of Management) so that I could start to feel the atmosphere and the different environment.

I really would like to be more active in this forum so that I could start to know all of you better considering that we all are sharing the same experience, but I really feel a bit intimidated it seems that most of you are on another planet as preparation goes, and my cotribution to the forum might appear a bit outdated considering that I am not strong in any of the two test sections. I hope I will be able to came out with my best.

thanks for all

“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.â€

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 15:04
rhyme wrote:
I am going out for a beer

:evil: It's about time you stop partying, didn't you finish you GMAT studies a month ago? :wink:

Gauss wrote:
I really would like to be more active in this forum so that I could start to know all of you better considering that we all are sharing the same experience, but I really feel a bit intimidated it seems that most of you are on another planet as preparation goes, and my cotribution to the forum might appear a bit outdated considering that I am not strong in any of the two test sections. I hope I will be able to came out with my best.

that isn't true... look at me... I am a complete underdog around here compared to all of 700s... but I still try to support others as well as I am seeking their help... I mostly hang out in verbal forum trying to improve, and even though my answers aren't always correct I explain everyone how I got there...

also, i think someone said that if you can't explain the answer, then you don't know it... your explanations here lead to learning and you will never forget answers and why some are wrong/correct (practically due to time it takes you to type your answers and think about the best way to explain to others)... there are some good discussions for verbal part here! in addition, there is a HUGE archive of the posts you can practice from...

stay positive and I am sure you'll get your desired score :P
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2006, 00:33
I would say as long as you are serious enough and bring your seriousness into action, you will get a much better score.

Before I attended my first class at Princeton Review, I took my very first diagnostic test, and the result turned out UGLY- 430!!!

Then right before I finished my GMAT sessions at PR, I got a job offer so ever since then until recently did I touch my GMAT again. When I recently decided to take further step to MBA school, I started to review my PR materials, and after a thorough review (with very limited practice on sample questions), I got my second diagnostic 520.

After I have done some intensive practice on both verbal and math questions, my third diagnostic raised to 570. I noticed that I had problems controlling the timing (left 2 questions blank on math and more than 20 questions on the verbal part).

I definitely believe that if you study intensively, and if you get more and more right answers for verbal and math, you should definitely have a decent score on the real GMAT.

Some people are talented, but for GMAT I do believe a little more effort you put you will return you a few more points. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1528 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2006, 03:37
u2lover wrote:
rhyme wrote:

:evil: It's about time you stop partying, didn't you finish you GMAT studies a month ago? :wink:

It was my birthday. Cut me some slack :)
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2006, 07:01
rhyme wrote:
u2lover wrote:
rhyme wrote:

It was my birthday. Cut me some slack :)

ok... excused... but how many b-days do you have per a year? :lol:
Happy B-Day :woohoo
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2006, 10:12
Hey buddy,

Don’t worry; I’m sure you’ll do great. Remember that it’s just the beginning and not the end. Relax a couple of days.

P.S: RELAX WHILE ENJOYING ITALY vs UKRAINE. GO TOTTI!!!!!!!

Who is John Galt?

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2006, 12:49
hey buddy,

don't sweat, I know how you feel. I think the gmat has more to do with perseverence than intellect. If y ou put in the effort, It will pay off. Just read the many inspirational posts by gmat clubers. Good luck with your efforts
  [#permalink] 30 Jun 2006, 12:49