Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 12:15 It is currently 07 May 2024, 12:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Status:To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Discouraged after 6 months of studying [#permalink]
Thanks for the replies. I will plan on studying each of the problems in the CATs pretty thoroughly to understand them and to remind myself of the broader rules surrounding them that I need to remember. In response to EMPOWERgmatRichC’s questions:

1) Yes, I took the entire CAT including the Essay and the IR sections.
2) The quant scaled score was 24 and the verbal scaled score was 26.
3) I did have problems with pacing on the IR and the quant, I finished verbal right on time with only a few seconds to spare. With quant, I guessed on the last four which I know is disastrous.

After reviewing the CAT
1) I would say about nine times I got things wrong because I forgot basic rules that I should’ve remembered.
2) I would say there were about 10 problems that would probably fall into my “just too hard” category. Then there were those four at the end where I just guessed because I ran out of time.
3) I don’t have exact numbers for the verbal but I did use the method of writing down ABCDE for each problem and think I did a fairly decent job of trying to narrow down choices.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Shortie55,

With a Q24/V26, you likely made lots of little mistakes throughout both the Quant and Verbal sections. Having to guess on the last 4 questions in the Quant section certainly didn't help, but you would have already lost a lot of points before you neared the end of the section. From your own description, you made 9 little mistakes in the Quant section alone (that you should have been able to avoid); to score at a much higher level, you simply cannot afford that type of inconsistency in your work. Furthermore, from what you describe about the Verbal section, I don't think that you necessarily use any tactics besides "eliminate the ones that seem wrong and pick the one that sounds good."

Thankfully, all of these issues can be 'fixed', but whatever work you've done so far has not been enough to properly prepare you for the Official GMAT. Before I can offer any advice, I'd like to know a bit more about your goals:

1) What is your score goal?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
1) At this point, my score goal would be to get somewhere in the high 500's.
2) I have signed up to take my first GMAT in early November. I understand that I will most likely need to take it at least a second time.
3) I’d like to try and apply in time for the second round but if I can’t make it, applying for the third round would be fine as well.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Shortie55,

An early-November Test Date gives you almost 2 months of additional study time, so you could absolutely hit your score goal by then (if you make the proper adjustments to how you 'see', and respond to, the GMAT. For most US Business Schools, Round 2 application deadlines are usually in December or January, so this gives you further time to study (and retest) as needed.

From what you've described, you took your last CAT about 2 weeks ago (give or take). What work have you done since then? Have you taken any additional FULL-LENGTH CATs? If you have, then how have you scored? If you have not, then you should plan to take one soon (perhaps this weekend), so we can see if you've made any progress since your class ended. Once you have that CAT score, you should report back here and we can talk through your ongoing study plan.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot