Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Does anyone else think the IR section seems way too hard? [#permalink]
Well, I just did the GMAT pill, which is great. The GMAT pill has over a hundred IR practice problems, which is helpful because I needed to do a bunch of consecutive problems of each of the question types to improve. I just took a mock test using GMAT pill by doing three of each question type and I definitely have improved (I've also been keeping track of all my times and answer accuracy).

If anyone else knows of a good source for a bunch of IR questions, please let me know.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
For what its worth I found the practice IR questions to be much much harder than what was on the actual test. I never scored higher than a 5 on the practice (got some 3s), but got an 8 on the actual GMAT with little issue. I only studied IR for about a week.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
chromium73 wrote:
For what its worth I found the practice IR questions to be much much harder than what was on the actual test. I never scored higher than a 5 on the practice (got some 3s), but got an 8 on the actual GMAT with little issue. I only studied IR for about a week.

Thank you for sharing that. I have heard another person share that same story, that the actual test is less difficult than the practice tests. I'm at the point that I'm going to take the exam. I'm doing alright on the practice IR tests now and as long as I don't end up with a 3 or 4 on the actual test I should be fine.

Thanks again!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
MAcc2007 wrote:
chromium73 wrote:

Thank you for sharing that. I have heard another person share that same story, that the actual test is less difficult than the practice tests. I'm at the point that I'm going to take the exam. I'm doing alright on the practice IR tests now and as long as I don't end up with a 3 or 4 on the actual test I should be fine.

Thanks again!

Another strategy you can consider as a back-up. Since the IR section is not adaptive, if you are concerned about time you can just blindly guess on the first couple of questions and spend more time on the remaining ones.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Alright, I just took the exam and the IR section on the exam was no where near as difficult as every practice problem I did in preparation for the exam. I'd venture to say that not one single IR question on the actual exam was more difficult than the easiest practice problem I saw before the exam. I actually used the extra time I had at the end of the section to relax before the math, which turned out to be the hardest section for me.

I still strongly recommend GMAT Pill for the IR practice. It helped to have some confidence going into the test.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
chromium73 wrote:

Yeah I had a similar experience. With a ton of work I was pushing the very top end of the scale but my IR was consistently mediocre in practice (I was being told my performance was like a 4 when I was getting like 750+ on the rest of the test). Then on the real thing I stumbled into an 8 (absolutely no clue how that happened). My guess is what's going on is this: prep companies are as clueless as everyone else, so to protect themselves, they're grading IR too low. That way, when you get the real thing and get a higher score than you were expecting, you're happy. If they screw up the other way (tell you you're doing great) and you get an unexpectedly low score, then everyone's pissed.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
DI Forum Moderator
1030 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11181 posts