Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Status:Difficult Roads often lead to beautiful destinations !!!
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Ivey '19 (A$)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31934 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Doubt on Independent Clause [#permalink]
Just so that I understand correctly

"its 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom." - This is a Phrase Not a clause because we are lacking a verb here right ?
"it is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics." - This is a Dependent Clause , whereas
"an observation about electric current first made in 1845" - It's a modifier (Noun+Noun modifier) and not a clause
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31934 [1]
Send PM
Doubt on Independent Clause [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ThePlayer wrote:

"its 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom." - This is a Phrase Not a clause because we are lacking a verb here right ?
"it is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics." - This is a Dependent Clause , whereas
"an observation about electric current first made in 1845" - It's a modifier (Noun+Noun modifier) and not a clause

hi,
" thought " is a verb in "its 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom."--an absolute phrase that can act as a dependent clause
made in second is again a verb,..
a modifier can easily be like a dependent clause
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Chetan , it's clear to me now :-)
Manager
Manager
Status:Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Own Kudos [?]: 548 [0]
Given Kudos: 471
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
ThePlayer wrote:
Hi Guys , I have a doubt with the below 2 questions-

Can someone please explain that Why in Option B of Q1 sentence starting after comma- ",its square mile.." is Not an Independent Clause , whereas in Option D of Q2 sentence starting after comma ", it is now included in virtually..." is an Independent Clause ? Also can someone please help with the Q2 , I know it has been posted earlier on this forum but the explanation was not clear to me.

Thanks !

Q1. With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, Jupiter's moon Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom.

(A) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with
(B) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, its
(C) Europa has long been considered as far too cold to support life and has
(D) Europa, long considered as far too cold to support life, and its
(E) Europa, long considered to be far too cold to support life, and to have

Q2. In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

(A) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
(B) laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is
(C) laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
(D) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845, it is
(E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is

Good Questions.

Clarified my doubts too! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [1]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Kudos
chetan2u wrote:
ThePlayer wrote:

hi,
" thought " is a verb in "its 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom."--an absolute phrase that can act as a dependent clause
a modifier can easily be a dependent clause

Hi Chetan2u... I have a query here. Noun and verb should make sense is my understanding, if it is not making sense then we can say that as a modifier. This is my understanding.

"Europa's 60 square miles thought to be frozen" - here my understanding is "60 square miles can't think on it own" .. It should be "60 square miles was thought as frozen by someone" .. this will make sense.. this is my understanding...

can you help me whr I m going wrong here.

Bcos my understanding is "A noun and a verb should make sense on its own"

The below one is a GMAT Prep Question.

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head; a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye.

A. found in the Philippines and that resembles
B. found in the Philippines and that, resembling
C. found in the Philippines and resembling
D. that is found in the Philippines and it resembles
E. that is found in the Philippines, resembling

Sunbird found in Philippines and resembling a hummingbird has shimmering metallic color on its head.

Here Found and Resembling are modifiers of Sunbird and can't act as a verb.

Similarly "An observation made in 1845" if "Made" here is acting a verb, the meaning will be like "an observation made something" but the intended meaning is "someone made the observation". If its in passive, then we can say its correct. "An observation was made by someone" this makes a clause. The prior one looks as phrase to me since it lacks verb.

The above is my understanding. Kindly help me in my understanding.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
sowragu wrote:
"Europa's 60 square miles thought to be frozen" - here my understanding is "60 square miles can't think on it own" .. It should be "60 square miles was thought as frozen by someone" .. this will make sense.. this is my understanding...

Your analysis is correct. Thought is not a (complete) verb in that construction (the one in the correct option).
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31934 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sowragu wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
ThePlayer wrote:

hi,
a modifier can easily be a dependent clause

Hi Chetan2u... I have a query here. Noun and verb should make sense is my understanding, if it is not making sense then we can say that as a modifier. This is my understanding.

Bcos my understanding is "A noun and a verb should make sense on its own"

The below one is a GMAT Prep Question.

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head; a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye.

A. found in the Philippines and that resembles
B. found in the Philippines and that, resembling
C. found in the Philippines and resembling
D. that is found in the Philippines and it resembles
E. that is found in the Philippines, resembling

Sunbird found in Philippines and resembling a hummingbird has shimmering metallic color on its head.

Here Found and Resembling are modifiers of Sunbird and can't act as a verb.

Similarly "An observation made in 1845" if "Made" here is acting a verb, the meaning will be like "an observation made something" but the intended meaning is "someone made the observation". If its in passive, then we can say its correct. "An observation was made by someone" this makes a clause. The prior one looks as phrase to me since it lacks verb.

The above is my understanding. Kindly help me in my understanding.

Hi,
Few points on a complicated topic " Modifiers".
1) firstly modifier or here an absolute phrase can take to verb, the infinitive form..
2) Yes, thought here acts as a participle followed by "to be " a infinitive verb...
3) The modifiers are a vast and complicated topic.., You can have phrase- modifier and clause- modifier too..
4) So thinking that a modifier cannot have a VERB may not be correct
5) You are correct on "made" part. It is a participle modifying the NOUN- an observation..
6) also Clause does require a subject, as pointed, May be in a hurry I read the Q wrongly and termed absolute phraes as dependent clause..
+1 for your observation
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts