Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During and immediately after the California gold rush, the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

During and immediately after the California gold rush, the [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2005, 11:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (01:59) correct 44% (01:11) wrong based on 296 sessions
During and immediately after the California gold rush, the way for a merchant to generate the most profit was to move a limited amount of scarce goods to San Francisco as quickly as possible, rather than to carry larger loads more slowly, determining the design of the clipper ship.

A) to carry larger loads more slowly, determining
B) to carry larger loads more slowly, a situation that determined
C) carry larger loads more slowly, which determined
D) slowly carry larger loads which determined
E) carrying larger loads more slowly, and this was a situation in determining
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [3] , given: 9

Re: During and immediately after the California gold rush [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 06:50
This post received
KUDOS
Here is my thought process:
1. "Rather than" calls for parallelism, which I think got us to the two answers presented.
2. determining (ing) can be used to modify a clause, a noun or a verb. And here, it is used to modify the preceding clause (preceding is a ing form that modifies the noun "clause" :D). But this can only be done if the preceding clause can convert into a noun phrase and function as a the subject of the verb.
Boys at this bar are stupid, causing girls to leave = The stupidity of the boys at this bar has caused girls to leave.

I do not think we can do the conversion here. Since the meaning of the original sentence is "the best way to generate profit ......... rather than ....." determined the design of the ship.

Thus I think B is a better answer.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2005, 12:57
This post received
KUDOS
It is B.

here comparison is between to move a limited amount ....... rather than to carry

only A and B does the comparison correctly. To move can not determine the design. However, the situation can determine the desingn.
So B it is.

hey ya......

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2005, 16:28
This post received
KUDOS
B for same reasons that nakib has mentioned and parallelism!
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 0

Re: sc - gold rush [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2005, 03:49
This post received
KUDOS
christoph wrote:
during and immediately after the california gold rush, the way for a merchant to generate the most profit was to move a limited amount of scarce goods to san francisco as quickly as possible , rather than to carry larger loads more slowly, determining the design of the clipper ship.

a. to carry larger loads more slowly , determining
b. to carry larger loads more slowly, a situation that determined
c. carry larger loads more slowly, which determined
d. slowly carry larger loads which determined
e. carrying larger loads more slowly, and this was a situation in determining

Only B correctly indicates what the subjects of " determine" is. B it is.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 18

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 15:57
This post received
KUDOS
"to carry" should follow "to move" so C,D and E are out

determining in A doesnt sound right.

I go with B

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 1

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 19:45
This post received
KUDOS
B, because of parallelism and usage of noun phrase.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 115 [1] , given: 46

During and immediately after the California gold rush,the [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 12:49
This post received
KUDOS
During and immediately after the California gold rush,the way for a merchant to generate the most profit was to move a limited amount of scarce goods to San Francisco as quickly as possible rather than to carry larger loads more slowly ,determining the design of the clipper ship.

(A)to carry larger loads more slowly ,determining
(B)to carry larger loads more slowly,a situation that determined
(C)carry larger loads more slowly ,which determined
(D)slowly carry larger loads which determined
(E)carrying loads more slowly ,and this was a situation in determining

Need every option`s explanation.

If you find my post helpful don`t forget to give kudos
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V32

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: During and immediately after the California gold rush, [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 15:16
This post received
KUDOS
Here are my 2 cents...

(A)to carry larger loads more slowly ,determining ==> Determining is participial which modifying the previous clause. Makes no sense
(B)to carry larger loads more slowly,a situation that determined ==> Correct - reason ...'to carry' is parallel to 'to move' --> "a situation" clearly stating the situation discussed in the previous claus.
(C)carry larger loads more slowly ,which determined ==> Parallelism error .. "to carry" needs to parallel to "to move"
(D)slowly carry larger loads which determined ==> Parallelism error.. "to carry" needs to parallel to "to move"
(E)carrying loads more slowly ,and this was a situation in determining ==> Parallelism error.. "to carry" needs to parallel to "to move"
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1377 [1] , given: 122

Re: During and immediately after the California gold rush, [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 00:01
This post received
KUDOS
umeshpatil wrote:
I have also got stuck b/w A & B. The first part of sentence finishes correctly with 'to carry larger loads more slowly' as it is parallel with the first part.

A) determining the design of the clipper ship' is a second clause. What is wrong in this? This is mentioned in context with 'the way for a merchant to generate the most profit'
B) 'a situation that determined the design of the clipper ship'. I am okay with this as well.

Can anyone put light over this?

A is wrong because "determining" seems to modify the subject "the way" of the previous sentence. But "the way" didn't determine the design of the clipper ship. "a situation" in B is more clear.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: During and immediately after the California gold rush, the [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 23:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
One thing about the verb+ing modifiers is that, they rather describe not a single factor but the gist of several factors. Let’s take this example; what factors are determining the shape of the ships? The factors are: 1. there was a gold rush in San F. Some goods were scarce; if some could give the consumers those goods, they would pay any price and the trader can make huge profits. For this the trader has to take a light ship with optimal cargo that can dart like a hare to the destination rather than crawl like a tortoise carrying a huge load. All these factors collectively determined the shape of the ships. How to express all these in one stroke? Using the ing participle is a good way of doing that. But the problem in using the present participle is that it is a timeless expression. When we say determining, we can mean determining in the past, now and even in the future. But the clippers ships are a thing of the past. We have no clippers ships presently. The ships died their natural death after the advent of steamer ships. So an expression that point out the past nature of the phenomena, will espouse the meaning better, given the context. That is the reason, I prefer B over A.
C and D are dropped because of the ‘which’ touch rule problem, while the demonstrative pronoun ‘this’ has no appropriate antecedent in E

Incidentally, I see no run - on either in A or in B, What follow the comma are modifiers in both cases, whether determining or a situation. Determining is an adverbial modifier and a situation is an appositive modifier. There are no two ICs in the sentences to render them run-on each other)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2005, 11:26
I think D is best...

here slowly is modifying carry which what we want...secondly its the load that determined the design of the ship....

D is best
Manager
Manager
Schools: ABCD

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 78

During and immediately after the California gold rush, the [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 19:10
During and immediately after the California gold rush, the way for a merchant to generate the most profit was to move a limited amount of scarce goods to San Francisco as quickly as possible, rather than to carry larger loads more slowly, determining the design of the clipper ship.

a) to carry larger loads more slowly, determining
b) to carry larger loads more slowly, a situation that determined
c) carry larger loads more slowly, which determined
d) slowly carry larger loads which determined
e) carrying larger loads more slowly, and this was a situation in determining

Isn't b) a run-on sentence ? ".....loads more slowly, a situation that determined...."
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 12

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 23:07
No Option B is not a Run-on sentence.

voodoochild wrote:

Isn't b) a run-on sentence ? ".....loads more slowly, a situation that determined...."
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2011, 00:51
voodoochild wrote:

Consider this sentence.
The manager decided to let Messi play as a striker, a strategy that led to Barca's victory.
This is not a run on sentence, the sentence that you have presented above is similar to this. A noun after the comma describes the entire idea represented by the previous clause.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 38

During and immediately after the California gold rush, the [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 05:33
During and immediately after the California gold rush, the way for a merchant to
generate the most profit was to move a limited amount of scarce goods to San Francisco
as quickly as possible, rather than to carry larger loads more slowly, determining the
design of the clipper ship.
(A) to carry larger loads more slowly, determining
(B) to carry larger loads more slowly, a situation that determined

OA - after some discussion...thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 1.4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: During and immediately after the California gold rush, [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 13:21
hi,

"to move a limited amount must be" // to "to carry larger loads more slowly".
so C,D,E out also in C,D usage of "which" is wrong ...as "which" can only refer to the nearest noun.

got stuck b/w A & B..
though Verb ing modifier can modify clause if used after comma.

but went for B as ",a situation that determined" is in past tense.

br//surya.v
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: During and immediately after the California gold rush, [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 19:28
I have also got stuck b/w A & B. The first part of sentence finishes correctly with 'to carry larger loads more slowly' as it is parallel with the first part.

A) determining the design of the clipper ship' is a second clause. What is wrong in this? This is mentioned in context with 'the way for a merchant to generate the most profit'
B) 'a situation that determined the design of the clipper ship'. I am okay with this as well.

Can anyone put light over this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 70

Re: during and immediately after the california gold rush, the [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 19:52
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 57

Re: During and immediately after the California gold rush, the [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 19:33
I got the answer right but some one posted that the right answer had a run-on sentence.

IMO A has a run-on sentence and not B. Plus, A incorrectly portrays that while carrying loads, the design of the clipper ship was being determined - nonsensical.
Re: During and immediately after the California gold rush, the   [#permalink] 04 May 2013, 19:33