Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 02:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During the American westward expansion, a certain city in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 19

During the American westward expansion, a certain city in [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 10:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (02:27) correct 42% (01:51) wrong based on 188 sessions
During the American westward expansion, a certain city in the eastern U.S. saw about 250 of its citizens depart for the west, but perish before arriving in their destination cities. During the same time period, the city saw about 225 deaths of citizens who stayed in the city. Based on these totals, it can be concluded that it was not much more perilous to be a settler who left the eastern U.S. to settle the western U.S. than it was to be a citizen who remained in the east.

Which of the following tests would most clearly reveal the flaw in the conclusion drawn above?

A.Counting deaths among people who left to settle the west but returned to their cities of origination in addition to those who died during their trips westward
B.Calculating the difference between the number of deaths among westward settlers and the number of deaths among non-settlers, then expressing this number as a percentage of all deaths during the period
C.Differentiating between settlers' deaths by non-settlement-related causes and those caused by accidents, murders, and battles attributable to the settlement process
D.Comparing the death rates per hundred members of each group instead of comparing the numbers of deaths in each group
E.Comparing deaths due to natural causes in the city of origin to unnatural deaths of settlers who originated in those cities

Awkward....
Chose C but was wrong....
Can someone explain the reasoning behind the OA?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If my answer helped, dont forget KUDOS! :)

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
GPA: 3.82
WE: Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 193 [1] , given: 41

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: During the American westward expansion, a certain city in th [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
From the problem: "it can be concluded that it was not much more perilous..."

When comparing the peril of staying in an eastern city vs departing westward, the absolute numbers of deaths in each case don't matter, nor do the causes of death (answer C concerns causes of death). For example, it's fallacious to separate out murders and accidents and whatnot, because those may or may not occur at a higher rate in the city.

What matters is the relative number of deaths, no matter the cause, also known as the death rate. It is (# of deaths) divided by (# of people matching the criteria in question). Put simply, answer choice D.

My GMAT debrief

Manager
Manager

Re: During the American westward expansion, a certain city in th [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 10:46
NonYankee wrote:

When comparing the peril of staying in an eastern city vs departing westward, the absolute numbers of deaths in each case don't matter, nor do the causes of death (answer C concerns causes of death). For example, it's fallacious to separate out murders and accidents and whatnot, because those may or may not occur at a higher rate in the city.

What matters is the relative number of deaths, no matter the cause, also known as the death rate. It is (# of deaths) divided by (# of people matching the criteria in question). Put simply, answer choice D.

Thanks.
I wonder if this reasoning will be easier for me to understand with more practice.

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
GPA: 3.82
WE: Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 193 [2] , given: 41

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: During the American westward expansion, a certain city in th [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 10:54
This post received
KUDOS
roygush wrote:
NonYankee wrote:

Thanks.
I wonder if this reasoning will be easier for me to understand with more practice.

Just one more thing: as I read the problem statement the first time, I was thinking, "250 died... out of how many?" and "225 died... out of how many?" I kept waiting for the total populations to be revealed. "Was it 250 out of 250? Was it 225 out of 10,000?" Without the "out of" number, I wasn't able to make a comparison (besides the relatively pedestrian conclusion that 25 more settlers died). So when I finished reading the problem statement and I still had not found the information I'd been waiting for, I knew exactly what to look for among the answer choices.

My GMAT debrief

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 930 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: During the American westward expansion, a certain city in th [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
roygush wrote:
During the American westward expansion, a certain city in the eastern U.S. saw about 250 of its citizens depart for the west, but perish before arriving in their destination cities. During the same time period, the city saw about 225 deaths of citizens who stayed in the city. Based on these totals, it can be concluded that it was not much more perilous to be a settler who left the eastern U.S. to settle the western U.S. than it was to be a citizen who remained in the east.

Which of the following tests would most clearly reveal the flaw in the conclusion drawn above?

A.Counting deaths among people who left to settle the west but returned to their cities of origination in addition to those who died during their trips westward
B.Calculating the difference between the number of deaths among westward settlers and the number of deaths among non-settlers, then expressing this number as a percentage of all deaths during the period
C.Differentiating between settlers' deaths by non-settlement-related causes and those caused by accidents, murders, and battles attributable to the settlement process
D.Comparing the death rates per hundred members of each group instead of comparing the numbers of deaths in each group
E.Comparing deaths due to natural causes in the city of origin to unnatural deaths of settlers who originated in those cities

Awkward....

Hi roygush,

Lets first simplify the stimulus.

Premises:

250 people left for west and died before reaching west

225 of the Eastern citizens died

Conclusion: it was not much more perilous to be a settler who left the eastern U.S. to settle the western U.S. than it was to be a citizen who remained in the east. To put this into simple words, going to west was not a very dangerous act as compared to staying back in the east.

The argument makes a comparison between "all the 250 people who left and died" and "225 people out of the whole eastern population"

So, before even moving to the answer choices, the flaw which comes to mind is that equal quantities are not being compared. Only the totals; moreover, the stimulus clearly states that "based on these totals". The correct answer to this question would point out this flaw in reasoning.

The stimulus discusses about the number of deaths and makes an incorrect comparison between them. Even if we differentiate between the cause the argument still remains flawed. So, (C) does not clearly reveal the flaw in the argument.

(D) corrects the flaw in the argument by bringing in the death rates, which is exactly what we need. Per hundred or per thousand does not matter until it is some rate. Now if we see the rates

The death rate for people who left for west = 250/250 = 1, this means that one out of every one will die. i.e. anyone who leaves for west will die.

and the death rate for people who stay in the east = 225/ a number larger than 225 = less than one. Based on the population the number could be anything. So, the conclusion could be anything based on the death rates. Until we know the death rates for both these events we will not be able to determine which activity will be more perilous than the other.

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manager
Manager

Re: During the American westward expansion, a certain city in th [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 11:52
Vercules wrote:
roygush wrote:

Awkward....

Hi roygush,

Lets first simplify the stimulus.

Premises:

250 people left for west and died before reaching west

225 of the Eastern citizens died

Conclusion: it was not much more perilous to be a settler who left the eastern U.S. to settle the western U.S. than it was to be a citizen who remained in the east. To put this into simple words, going to west was not a very dangerous act as compared to staying back in the east.

The argument makes a comparison between "all the 250 people who left and died" and "225 people out of the whole eastern population"

So, before even moving to the answer choices, the flaw which comes to mind is that equal quantities are not being compared. Only the totals; moreover, the stimulus clearly states that "based on these totals". The correct answer to this question would point out this flaw in reasoning.

The stimulus discusses about the number of deaths and makes an incorrect comparison between them. Even if we differentiate between the cause the argument still remains flawed. So, (C) does not clearly reveal the flaw in the argument.

(D) corrects the flaw in the argument by bringing in the death rates, which is exactly what we need. Per hundred or per thousand does not matter until it is some rate. Now if we see the rates

The death rate for people who left for west = 250/250 = 1, this means that one out of every one will die. i.e. anyone who leaves for west will die.

and the death rate for people who stay in the east = 225/ a number larger than 225 = less than one. Based on the population the number could be anything. So, the conclusion could be anything based on the death rates. Until we know the death rates for both these events we will not be able to determine which activity will be more perilous than the other.

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Thanks.
I should pay more attention to words and go to the extremes.
Thinking like you, 225 out of the whole eastern population.

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: During the American westward expansion, a certain city in [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 10:49
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: During the American westward expansion, a certain city in   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2014, 10:49