Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Excellent Score, but ridiculously lop-sided. What to do? [#permalink]
Joel: I'm not an expert (and I don't think many people on this forum are). Your best bet might be to post this question in the business school forums and ask some admissions consultants.

Not all 99ths for Verbal are created equal though. A 44 or a 45 may also be 99th percentile--your score is well above that (I think it's likely that you got every question correct on the exam seeing as I've gotten 45s on MGMAT tests with 2 mistakes).
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow - that's amazing Verbal Score.
If your background is OK with quant (you don't have low grades on Math classes and it is clear that you can handle the work load/etc), this may be a differentiation for you rather than a weakness.

See profile of MichMax3
members/member-76523.html
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the reply bb.

I'm coming from a very non-traditional background: a Humanities major at a Seven Sisters liberal arts college, finishing up a Masters in PoliSci right now and work experience in journalism and academia. I'm hoping that I can be looked at essentially as a "novelty" candidate, with the adcoms figuring "well, this guy's clearly a smart poet-type with little quant background, but his numbers are such that it won't ding our stats to accept him, so let's roll the dice." As I mentioned I've excelled in a graduate level stats class, so I'm hoping that solitary quant line-item on my transcript will be enough.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
First of all, many many congratulations!!! My goodness, that's a ridiculous verbal score I have ever seen in this forum or in general. I wish I could have a fraction of that verbal brain. You are like GOD to me :p Only in my wildest dream I could imagine me getting any close to that. Sorry, this is not a reply to your question specifically.

I am curious if there is such a cut-off for Verbal in top 10 (HBS, Wharton, MIT, Booth and Kellogg)? I mean I really can't imagine myself getting 42+. I am targeting 42 in verbal (say I get 40) - with the hope that 51 should be piece of cake in real GMAT. Should v38-42 be enough for ANY school?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for your kind words abhicoolmax. I'm just hoping that the unspoken bias adcoms have toward the Quant side of the score won't result in my application going into a pile marked "should be getting and English PhD instead of an MBA" :writer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
JoelCairo wrote:
Thanks for your kind words abhicoolmax. I'm just hoping that the unspoken bias adcoms have toward the Quant side of the score won't result in my application going into a pile marked "should be getting and English PhD instead of an MBA" :writer

Great Score!

How did you manage a V51 ? (read as: can we have a verbal debrief ?)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
51V --wow, that is spectacular!

I have heard that the 3 schools that scrutinize over the quant breakdown the most are Haas, Wharton, and MIT.

But, if you didn't break into at least the 70th pct on the quant section and don't have a strong quant background, you might raise a red flag at any top program.

We don't know the rest of your profile (although it looks like you have a stellar GPA), but If I were you I would not retake the test and instead put a simple sentence in the optional essay to something of the effect:

'Given my humanities background, I would be happy to take whatever quant courses necessary prior to my enrollment in SCHOOL_X in order to prove my quantitative ability to the admissions committee.'

I have heard this work for someone in the past at Haas. They were admitted but they DID have to take a calculus course prior to enrollment.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
Great Score!

How did you manage a V51 ? (read as: can we have a verbal debrief ?)

You are not serious, are you? He is GOD in Verbal! I highly doubt he prepared for Verbal at all. I think he just knows it. Like some of us, for whom Quant comes naturally, can't give any tips on improving Quant to anybody. I doubt a verbal debrief from him could help us here, it would make us feel miserable :D

MDF wrote:
'Given my humanities background, I would be happy to take whatever quant courses necessary prior to my enrollment in SCHOOL_X in order to prove my quantitative ability to the admissions committee.'

I have heard this work for someone in the past at Haas. They were admitted but they DID have to take a calculus course prior to enrollment.

Does it also work for Verbal section? :p No, I am serious!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MDF wrote:

Thanks for the tip MDF, that sounds like what I should do. Maybe I'll preemptively enroll in something quanty through Continuing Education, so I can be ahead of that "welcome to the waitlist" letter.

And as for the Verbal Debrief, akhileshgupta05, I'm afraid that I can't really be much help. I wish I could, but the reality is that I didn't study verbal at all. From the very first Diagnostic I knew I could handle the Verbal section, so I tried to spend my time where it was needed: in the Math. The only time I did any practice on verbal at all was during CATs, and after those I didn't spend any time going over the questions afterwards, since I had to do intensive autopsies on my Quantitative bloodbaths.

My background (WE as a journalist and a librarian at an ivy league university) simply includes a ton of reading and writing. I was that kid who read Shakespeare for fun in middle school. It's kind of like what abhicoolmax said (though the "God" part might be overstating it): some things come naturally to some people. I speak five languages but can hardly count my own fingers and toes. When I read a Verbal question I immediately see right through it, whereas when I'm confronted with a difficult Quant problem I can't seem to find any way in.

Originally posted by JoelCairo on 10 Jul 2011, 09:56.
Last edited by JoelCairo on 10 Jul 2011, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
Does it also work for Verbal section? :p No, I am serious!

I don't think it would be nearly as effective with verbal. It's much easier for the adcom to slap you with a calculus course, which has subject matter that is universal across the world, than it would be for them to recommend you take some sort of English course that might vary drastically depending on the course topic and where you take it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Question: If I were to go ahead and sign up for a quant class this fall, is Calculus exactly what I should do, or is it just a matter of finding something number-intensive? (Finance, Managerial Accounting and Econ classes look a lot more interesting to me than pure math)
GMAT Club Bot