Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619276 [11]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 318 [2]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619276 [4]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: For a sale, the original retail price of a particular shirt and the [#permalink]
Bunuel niks18 chetan2u amanvermagmat gmatbusters

Quote:
For a sale, the original retail price of a particular shirt and the original retail price of a particular hat were both reduced by 20 percent. The sale price of the hat is how many dollars more than the sale price of the shirt?

(1) The original retail price of the hat was 10 dollars more than the original retail price of the shirt.

(2) The original retail price of the hat was 50 percent greater than the original retail price of the shirt.

How about this approach?
retail price of shirt : x
retail price of hat : y

sales price of shirt : 0.8x
sales price of hat : 0.8y
Q: 0.8y- 0.8x = ?
Or
y-x =?

St 1:
y = x +10
or
y-x =10 Suff.

St 2:
y = 1.5x or y/x = 1.5
Not suff.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5583 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Re: For a sale, the original retail price of a particular shirt and the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hii

Your approach is perfectly fine.

But in general, it is easier to handle single variables.

adkikani wrote:

Quote:
For a sale, the original retail price of a particular shirt and the original retail price of a particular hat were both reduced by 20 percent. The sale price of the hat is how many dollars more than the sale price of the shirt?

(1) The original retail price of the hat was 10 dollars more than the original retail price of the shirt.

(2) The original retail price of the hat was 50 percent greater than the original retail price of the shirt.

How about this approach?

Or
y-x =?

St 1:
y = x +10
or
y-x =10 Suff.

St 2:
y = 1.5x or y/x = 1.5
Not suff.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

How about this approach?

Or
y-x =?

St 1:
y = x +10
or
y-x =10 Suff.

St 2:
y = 1.5x or y/x = 1.5
Not suff.

Hi adkikani

I hope you have not deliberately omitted 0.8 in the highlighted equation because if this were a PS question, then had to calculate 0.8*(y-x)
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
niks18

Quote:
I hope you have not deliberately omitted 0.8 in the highlighted equation because if this were a PS question, then had to calculate 0.8*(y-x)

Your eyesight is indeed as sharp as a hawk and it is hard for mistake to escape from it. :cool:
I agree with your view, but since this is a DS question and 0.8 is a constant, all I care
about is y-x.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5583 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
...and I was wondering that you dropped it intentionally. Actually I always drop the value redundant to the solutions required.

adkikani wrote:
niks18

Quote:

Your eyesight is indeed as sharp as a hawk and it is hard for mistake to escape from it. :cool:
I agree with your view, but since this is a DS question and 0.8 is a constant, all I care
about is y-x.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
We need to know the dollar amount in difference in sale price of hat and shirt

Known information: The price of both the Hat and Shirt is reduced by 20%, so this is consistent.

The price of hat is 10 dollars more than the shirt. After 20% reduction, this difference becomes 8. This number is going to be constant and it wont change. So option A is sufficient.

The 50% difference can be any number and will change based on the retail price of hat and shirt. Option B not sufficient

Ans: A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Kudos for a correct solution.

abhimahna Why is statement 2 not sufficient?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V20
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Given H- 20 % , S -20 %
Que : H - S= X Dollars?

1. S = S , H = S + 10 , 0.8 S & 0.8 (S + 10)

0.8 (S+10) - 0.8 S = 8
SUFFICIENT
2. S = S, H = 1.5S , 0.8 S & 0.8 (1.5S)
0.8 (1.5 S) - 0.8S = 0.4 S
NOT SUFFICIENT
HENCE A IS ANSWER
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts