Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For non-Quant Beasts!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 04-19-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

For non-Quant Beasts! [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 13:53
Hey guys,

I am in the middle of my prep. I started in January lightly going through stuff and am now already pounding it out. My test date is late april and am having trouble with quant. Everyone on here seems to have at least a 47+ quant and I just can't seem to get fast at the questions. My first mgmt diagnostic was 30 quant and 35 verbal. With studying I am hoping to get minimum 40 verbal, hopefully 41 or 42. For quant all I need is a 46 or 47 to get that 700 combo for top schools. Everyone on here seems to be saying a 46 or 47 should be doable by anyone with enough prep. Question is how can I get faster at quant and get to my goal? Any suggestions would be great, thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 578 [0], given: 114

Re: For non-Quant Beasts! [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 17:09
I would recommend not worrying about timing until you really understand the concepts. Once you know the concepts then you will better understand how to approach questions. Over time, I started to see questions, recognize the exact concept that was being tested, and then know better how to approach the question. That is the first and best way to improve speed. BUt concentrate on accuracy before you concentrate on speed.

Once you feel better about that then really concentrate on take full length or mini timed practice tests. You can do this with a question bank from kaplan, or the GMATclub tests from this website, or any other questions you have. You can do them in groups of 10-15-20-37 questions. But just put 2 minutes on the clock for each question. Make sure to stay on track and NEVER spend more than 3 minutes on any one question. It is better to make an educated guess on a question in the middle of the test then to miss out on question you may have gotten right at the end of the test. Plus, if you leave any questions unanswered you get severly penalized. This will help keep you on track.

There is only one reason why a question will ever take over 3 minutes, and that is b/c you didn't approach it right, b/c EVERY question is designed to be solved in under 2-3 minutes MAX. So the better you understand the concepts, the better your timing will become.

Good luck!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 20

Re: For non-Quant Beasts! [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 18:15
Yeah, you should definitely focus on getting the concepts down and speed will come with time. I freaked out so much about timing during my initial gmat prep test, in which I tried to simulate a real test day experience as closely as I could, and I wound up finishing with about 30 minutes left in both sections. Since then, I've really worked on calming my nerves and knowing that with the practice I've put in, that the timing will (hopefully) be there on actual test day. Trust me, you will see a jump in quant after reviewing enough material and answering enough practice questions. Good luck.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 641 [0], given: 6

Re: For non-Quant Beasts! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 12:13
Expert's post
Given that your exam is not until April, I'd agree with what has been mentioned here. Focus on fundamentals and thought process. Gradually recognize the inefficiencies in your thought process.

I'd say you can wait til beginning of April to really hammer down timing drills. For now, make sure you get familiar with all the types of questions and where all the booby traps can potentially be.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 04-19-2012

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: For non-Quant Beasts! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 13:36
Thanks so much for the tips everyone!
Re: For non-Quant Beasts!   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2012, 13:36