Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [4]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
Re: Math Revolution and GMAT Club Contest! For positive integers a and b, [#permalink]
Kudos
QUESTION #1:

For positive integers a and b, when a^4 - b^4 is divided by 3, what is the remainder?

(1) When a + b is divided by 3, the remainder is 0
(2) When a^2 + b^2 is divided by 3, the remainder is 2

ANSWER:

\(a^4 - b^4 = (a^2 + b^2)(a^2 - b^2) = (a^2 + b^2)(a+b)(a-b)\) (*)

(1) \((a+b)\) is divisible by 3 --> (*) is always divisible by 3 --> sufficient

(2) \((a^2 + b^2) = 3m +2\) --> \(a^2 = 3q + 1\) and \(b^2 =3p +1\)--> \(a^2 - b^2 = 3 (q-p) +1 -1 = 3(q-p)\) --> (*) is divisible by 3 --> sufficient

Answer: D
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619238 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: Math Revolution and GMAT Club Contest! For positive integers a and b, [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

Math Revolution and GMAT Club Contest Starts!

QUESTION #6:

For positive integers a and b, when a^4 - b^4 is divided by 3, what is the remainder?

Check conditions below:

Math Revolution and GMAT Club Contest

The Contest Starts November 28th in Quant Forum

We are happy to announce a Math Revolution and GMAT Club Contest

For the following four (!) weekends we'll be publishing 4 FRESH math questions per weekend (2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday).

To participate, you will have to reply with your best answer/solution to the new questions that will be posted on Saturday and Sunday at 9 AM Pacific.
Then a week later, the forum moderator will be selecting 2 winners who provided most correct answers to the questions, along with best solutions. Those winners will get 6-months access to GMAT Club Tests.

PLUS! Based on the answers and solutions for all the questions published during the project ONE user will be awarded with ONE Grand prize:

PS + DS course with 502 videos that is worth $299!

All announcements and winnings are final and no whining :-) GMAT Club reserves the rights to modify the terms of this offer at any time.

NOTE: Test Prep Experts and Tutors are asked not to participate. We would like to have the members maximize their learning and problem solving process.

Thank you!

MATH REVOLUTION OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

If we alter the original condition and question, it becomes \(a^4-b^4=3t\)? (t is an integer). If we factor the question, the result is (a-b)(a+b)(a^2+b^2)=3t?, which is question. Then, if we look at 1), a-b=3n (n is an integer) becomes \(a^4-b^4=3n(a+b)(a^2+b^2)\), which is surely divisible by 3. This is a “yes” and sufficient.

If we look at 2), it looks like it will be \(a^2+b^2=3p+2\) (p is a positive integer) and not sufficient. Mistake Type 4(B) states “If answer choice A and B seem too attractive and obvious, consider answer choice D”. This Mistake Type commonly applies to a case similar to 1) and also to integer question, which is one of key questions. So, if we directly substitute 1 and 1 to a and b in 2), it yields (a,b)=(1,1) ← a-b=multiples of 3. This is a “yes”. If we substitute 1 and 2, it yields (a,b)=(1,2) ← a+b=multiples of 3. This is also a “yes”. Thus, in any case, a4-b4 is always a multiple of 3. This is a “yes” and sufficient. The correct answer choice is D.

In case of GMAT math DS problems, students have to be extra cautious about Mistake Type 4(B). Remember, “If answer choice A and B seem too attractive and obvious, consider answer choice D”. It is nearly impossible to solve a problem in 2 to 3 minutes during the exam. So students have to approach problems with a complete sense of logic based on Mistake Types. Also, please remember that if one condition seems easy when the other seems rather challenging, the answer will be D. This type of question decides a score of 50 or a perfect 51.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

QUESTION #6:

Check conditions below:

For the following four (!) weekends we'll be publishing 4 FRESH math questions per weekend (2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday).

To participate, you will have to reply with your best answer/solution to the new questions that will be posted on Saturday and Sunday at 9 AM Pacific.
Then a week later, the forum moderator will be selecting 2 winners who provided most correct answers to the questions, along with best solutions. Those winners will get 6-months access to GMAT Club Tests.

PLUS! Based on the answers and solutions for all the questions published during the project ONE user will be awarded with ONE Grand prize:

All announcements and winnings are final and no whining :-) GMAT Club reserves the rights to modify the terms of this offer at any time.

NOTE: Test Prep Experts and Tutors are asked not to participate. We would like to have the members maximize their learning and problem solving process.

Thank you!

MATH REVOLUTION OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

If we alter the original condition and question, it becomes \(a^4-b^4=3t\)? (t is an integer). If we factor the question, the result is (a-b)(a+b)(a^2+b^2)=3t?, which is question. Then, if we look at 1), a-b=3n (n is an integer) becomes \(a^4-b^4=3n(a+b)(a^2+b^2)\), which is surely divisible by 3. This is a “yes” and sufficient.

If we look at 2), it looks like it will be \(a^2+b^2=3p+2\) (p is a positive integer) and not sufficient. Mistake Type 4(B) states “If answer choice A and B seem too attractive and obvious, consider answer choice D”. This Mistake Type commonly applies to a case similar to 1) and also to integer question, which is one of key questions. So, if we directly substitute 1 and 1 to a and b in 2), it yields (a,b)=(1,1) ← a-b=multiples of 3. This is a “yes”. If we substitute 1 and 2, it yields (a,b)=(1,2) ← a+b=multiples of 3. This is also a “yes”. Thus, in any case, a4-b4 is always a multiple of 3. This is a “yes” and sufficient. The correct answer choice is D.

In case of GMAT math DS problems, students have to be extra cautious about Mistake Type 4(B). Remember, “If answer choice A and B seem too attractive and obvious, consider answer choice D”. It is nearly impossible to solve a problem in 2 to 3 minutes during the exam. So students have to approach problems with a complete sense of logic based on Mistake Types. Also, please remember that if one condition seems easy when the other seems rather challenging, the answer will be D. This type of question decides a score of 50 or a perfect 51.

Thanks Bunuel. For option 2, I have an alternate approach to this. Please let me know, if this can be solved in this manner?
\((a^2+b^2)=3p+2\). It can also be written as \(((a-b)^2+2ab)=3p+2\). So this means (a-b) is multiple of 3. Hence \(a^4-b^4\) is divisible to 3.
Please suggest if this solution is ok or it can be solved something similar to this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I don't completely understand the solution posted by Math Revolution. Could Bunuel or chetan2u please post their explanation/solution? Thanks!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi Victor,

I find plugging in works best with these questions.

I got D

1) a+b / 3 = Rem0

This basically means that when you add the numbers up they add up to 3 or a multiple of 3.
Take 3 for easy calculation. Plug in a few ridiculous numbers in there.

Try a = -1, b = -2
Try a = +7, b = -4
Try a = 1, b = 2

Looks sufficient to me.
PS If you plug those into the original equation they work as well. Try 7^4 - (-4)^4 / 3 = 2401 - 254 / 3 = 2145 / 3 (just add the individual numbers up and you'll see that its divisible).

2) a^2 + b^2 / 3 = Rem2

Same idea. Plug in the same set of numbers or different ones. Doesn't matter really. You'll find this to be true as well.

Let's try with our ridiculous example.

7^2 + (-4)^2 / 3 = 49+16/3 = 65/3 = Rem 2 (63 closest)

Try same idea with bunch of numbers if you have the time. Looks good to me.

Answer = D

mvictor wrote:
I've been struggling to find the answer for this one...very tough and tricky, but if you try algebraic way, then one works and other one not always, and while picking numbers - different results...anyways...below my explanation.

we can rewrite the initial statement:
a^4-b^4 = (a^2+b^2)(a^2-b^2)
(a^2-b^2) can be rewritten as (a+b)(a-b)

or the whole:
a^4-b^4 = (a^2+b^2)(a+b)(a-b)

first statement:
a+b is divisible by 3.

well, in this case, the reminder will always yield 0, since a^4-b^4 is a multiple of 3, because a+b is a multiple of 3.

statement 1 is sufficient.

statement 2:
a^2+b^2, if divided by 3, will yield a remainder of 2.

well, this doesn't tell much. What if a+b is a multiple of 3?
what if a-b is a multiple of 3?

clearly 2 should't be sufficient, right?
well, not exactly!

if you try picking numbers, you can see that all the times, the remainder is 0. and this is what confuses me the most. Maybe I miss something?

a=2 b=1
a^2 + b^2 = 5. 5/3 = 1 and remainder 2.
a^4 - b^4 = 16 - 1 = 15. 15/3 = 5 and remainder 0.

a=4 and b=1
a^2 + b^2 = 16+1 = 17. 17/3 = 5 and remainder 2.
a^4 - b^4 = 256-1 = 255. remainder again 0.

and the pattern is the same for all numbers that are picked and that satisfy the condition of the statement 2.

I really doubt this is a 600-700 level question. Or maybe I am not in the mood for solving math today? :\

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM

Was able to know statement (2) is sufficient by trial and error. However, is there a more intuitive way to figure it out without trial and error? Thank you!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Statement 1- (a-b)= 0 mod 3
\(a^4-b^4= a-b)(a+b)(a^2+b^2)\)
hence, \(a^4-b^4\)= 0 mod 3

Sufficient

Statement 2- \(a^2+b^2\)= 2 mod 3

\(a^2\)= 1 mod 3
\(b^2\)= 1 mod 3

\(a^4\)= 1 mod 3
\(b^4\)= 1 mod 3

\(a^4-b^4\)= (1-1) mod 3= 0 mod 3
Sufficient

Bunuel wrote:

Math Revolution and GMAT Club Contest Starts!

QUESTION #6:

Check conditions below:

Thank you!

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts