Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: From 630 -> 730 - Mission Accomplished....Detailed Debrief [#permalink]
woow...congrats... great score!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
Congratulations :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Firstly, well done! Awesome result.

Secondly, with regards to how you actually approached individual RC questions - what was your method?

For instance, did you
- Just read through once and go for the questions referring back when necessary?
- Read the question then search for answers?
- Use short hand to summarise each paragraph then go to the questions?
- Use a 'MAPS' method where you would jot down the: Main Idea, Attitude of author, Purpose of the passage, and Structure - then go to the questions?

I bough the 99RC a few minutes ago after reading your post. However at first glance there's no mention of how to approach the questions. Doing 99 questions and cementing bad/inefficient habits throughout could prove to be a big hindrance to a novice candidate's prep. If I go to the driving range and hit 1,000 golf balls without proper instruction, I might get a bit better. But after those 1,000 balls i'm going to have the same inefficient/incorrect swing and perhaps only marginally better results.

Obviously this isn't your problem and i'm happy to have those 99 questions because i'm doing a prep course that helps me with RC strategy. It just may not be the best idea for beginners to get stuck into this document without researching and adopting a decent RC strategy beforehand. Then again, I had a really bad 1st GMAT attempt so maybe I should shut up! haha

Great debrief by the way. Thanks.

Rux10
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Great story and inspiring... My initial is around your base. Well done!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congratulations on your score. Awesome Quants. I saw that you posted extensively about your Verbal prep. What about Quants?
- How much effort did you have to put in for the near perfect score?
- Also how did you pace yourself in actual test? Did you have a lot of time to spare when you were done with Q?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks guys for your good wishes :-D

@ Rux 10 - I had replied to this question earlier. Check out the first page of this thread

@ mbadilemma - I was always good in Quant and even in my first attempt I had got a 50. I primarily used the Manhattan Quant guides and the Kaplan Advanced book, apart from the OGs.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Media,Entertainment
Send PM
@Shovit
I've hit the wall in Critical Reasoning. In most of the tests, I am getting an accuracy of 70% but am unable to move beyond that. I have become pretty good at sentence correction after going through the SC Grail and Manhattan SC book,but CR is still giving me problems. I have registered for the GMAT on 16th March and am a little scared that CR may bring me down. Any suggestions ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Shovit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
target2010 wrote:
@Shovit
I've hit the wall in Critical Reasoning. In most of the tests, I am getting an accuracy of 70% but am unable to move beyond that. I have become pretty good at sentence correction after going through the SC Grail and Manhattan SC book,but CR is still giving me problems. I have registered for the GMAT on 16th March and am a little scared that CR may bring me down. Any suggestions ?

Did you use PowerScore CR Bible ? Secondly, did you practise enough number of questions from one question type. For example, if you were doing Assumptions, did you practice 15-20 assumption questions before moving on to other type of questions. Practising questions in blocks will really help you master that particular concept. If you're looking for additional practice questions, you may wanna use Aristotle LSAT Questionbank. However, at this point of time ,as you don't have much time left, you should focus more on test taking rather on doing new stuff. All the best.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Media,Entertainment
Send PM
shovitdhar wrote:
target2010 wrote:
@Shovit

Did you use PowerScore CR Bible ? Secondly, did you practise enough number of questions from one question type. For example, if you were doing Assumptions, did you practice 15-20 assumption questions before moving on to other type of questions. Practising questions in blocks will really help you master that particular concept. If you're looking for additional practice questions, you may wanna use Aristotle LSAT Questionbank. However, at this point of time ,as you don't have much time left, you should focus more on test taking rather on doing new stuff. All the best.

No, I didn't use Powerscore CR Bible. I rather used Mahattan CR Guide. It was good but not all that great. Now after reading the reviews of Powerscore CR Bible ,I think I should have rather referred that book. While practising questions, I did use the strategy you have talked about. Have downloaded the Aristotle LSAT CR questionbank and started the practice.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: President of Student Associoation
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Engineering
Schools:HBS 2+2, IESE YTP
GPA: 3.63
Send PM
Awesome improvement,
This is my mark for this thread! will read through this again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Congrats shovitdhar,
Prior to GMAT, I took MGMAT un-timed tests(major mistake i made, i guess).
MGMAT CAT 1 - 660(Q42, V38)
MGMAT CAT 2 - 690(Q47, V37),
MGMAT CAT 3 - 680(Q47, 35) and
MGMAT CAT 4 - 680(Q47, Q36).

I took GMAT for the first time in November 2010 and then December 2010.
I scored 620(Q46, V29) in Nov but my score came down on second attempt to 570(Q46, V22).

During first test I realised that i was slow at solving verbal. I had only eight minutes left for last eight questions. I guessed some of them and scored 29.

So during second test I hurried during verbal. I paid more attention to time and scored even less, 22.
SC took more time than usual and i could not concentrate on RC.

Please advice how i should go about improving speed while getting more correct answers.
Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
@deepak123gmat
If you are facing timing issues on the Verbal section,then it indicates that you SHOULD NOT be working on timing . Rather you should be working on the concepts. If your concepts are good and you have mastered the art of applying those concepts in questions, then timing would no longer remain an issue.
Think of it this way: If you ask a 1 year old kid to start running ,would he be able to do that. No. Why not ? Because he has not become strong enough ,capable enough to walk properly, let alone run.
Drawing a similar analogy here, even though you might feel that you prepared for Verbal well, ask yourself was it really the best way to prepare ? Did you prepare for each of the three areas equally well and know all the requisite strategies inside out to tackle the different time of problems ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for helping out the folks here. Can you tell me what is the right way to do OG12 ? Should I just start with the questions sequentially or should I do them topic wise especially CR questions ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Thanks shovitdhar.
All the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
@Shovitdhar
I have two questions
1. How do you decide when you're ready to take the GMAT ? I have been preparing for the last 2 months and am thinking of booking an appointment .
2. Most of the quant questions in OG are quite easy, what additional material can I use for practising quant (I'm already done with the concepts) ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
gmatgunner wrote:
@Shovitdhar
I have two questions
1. How do you decide when you're ready to take the GMAT ? I have been preparing for the last 2 months and am thinking of booking an appointment .
2. Most of the quant questions in OG are quite easy, what additional material can I use for practising quant (I'm already done with the concepts) ?

1. When you start getting scores in your practice tests close to the actual ones, then it is an indication that you're probably on the right way.
2. You can try the gmatclub Maths tests. I have heard that they have good difficulty level.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts