Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: from 680-700+ practice tests to 510 actual :( Help please... [#permalink]
Thank you very much mrsmarthi and bb for taking time to reply. I will take your pieces of advice to heart.
Just some questions if you dont mind.
-I'm planning to really work on my quant so I've purchased the gmat club tests. I'm thinking of working on 1 set per day for 3 hrs. Do you think this is advisable? How can I get the maximum use for maximum knowledge? What scores should I be getting to assure me 44-47 level?
-For verbal, I'm still really boggled as to what the heck happened. Why I got a 28 after consistently hitting 38-42 level. Might be my unstable emotions, my admitted defeat and acknowledgement of the need to take a second round after my performance in quant. If this is not reason enough for my low score I really dont know how to address my low score :( I've answered the SC gmat prep compilation and hit 90-95% accuracy in the last 40 qs. For rc and cr, I usually have only 1-2 mistakes in gmat prep (w/ some repeats though). What can I do to get the 40s level again?
-I agree with you guys suggesting that I should do more CATs. I've actually done 6, all gmat prep though. My problem is, if i do more again, I'll probably see lots of repeat qs hence my score will be much inflated. What do you suggest? Should I have a buffer say +30-40 pts of 700 to guarantee a 700?

Thanks very much for the encouragement guys. I'm really resolved to conquer gmat. :)

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: International Business
Send PM
I am not as experienced as some gurus here, but i can relate your experience to my first GMAT prep.
Actually, nerves didnot allow me to perform upto the level i could have especially in verbal.

I think it was nerves that hampered your score on GMAT( you didn't sleep for two days before the D-day).

IF the nerves did not hamper you on actual day, you would have easily crossed 650.

The GURU (BB) has provided you with golden advice, a CAT series will actually help you to handle the pressure, and also keep you in touch and practice.

Definitely on re-take nerves wont play the role they played this time as you have already faced the official test and now you know what it asks for, it is almost similar to GMAT prep. So you will not have sleepless nights fearing some unexpected questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
your experience happened pretty much the same to me, so you are not alone...when i was doing the test, i felt the questions were getting easier [compared with GMATPREP] and that is a BAD sign. Also, try to go for later test timing, preferably in the afternoon.

i believe u have covered quite a bit and what u need to do is to go thru' your error log and reinforce those concepts. get the manhattan flash cards [free download from the website] and read them whenever you can so that concepts stay fresh.

gd luck for your retake and mine!... my test is on 30 sep.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
sorry to hear that. Better luck next time.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts