Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: From 710 to 580 : Is there any score reporting error [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi buffaloboy,

There are a few potential 'red flags' in how you took your CATs that could very easily have impacted your performance on Test Day, including taking the CATs at home, taking them at different times of day and retaking CATs (even if it was years later and with re-installed software; the pool of questions is rather limited, so seeing questions that you've already faced almost always leads to 'inflated' practice scores).

I have some additional questions about the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
6) Did you finish any sections early?
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi buffaloboy,

There are a few potential 'red flags' in how you took your CATs that could very easily have impacted your performance on Test Day, including taking the CATs at home, taking them at different times of day and retaking CATs (even if it was years later and with re-installed software; the pool of questions is rather limited, so seeing questions that you've already faced almost always leads to 'inflated' practice scores).

I have some additional questions about the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
6) Did you finish any sections early?
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

Rich

Hi Cohen,

I really appreciate your help. Below is my pointwise reply
1. Three days before GMAT were pretty hectic. My test was on Monday. On Friday and till noon of Saturday I was in a leadership meet of my company . I wrote prep test in Saturday evening and scored 770. Sunday I traveled for about 12 hrs to reach center.
2. I was a bit exhausted but at the same time excited as well in anticipation of good gmat score (As I was pretty much confident about my prep and had clear concepts for both Quant and Verbal)
3. Ride was just for 20 minutes from where I stayed.
4. No distraction at all. I was alone in the room and was totally enjoying the questions.
5. I had some juice and energy bar during the breaks. For verbal I got around 15 minutes as I finished the quant section early but didn't submit the last question.
6. Yup Quant section. about 5-7 minutes to spare.
7. Nope.

Cohen I observed one thing during test. In verbal section I faced one question to which I was familiar and all four answer choices were similar(worded differently a bit) but the fifth one( correct answer in OG). I read question stem and answer choices twice just to be sure . Is it possible that uploaded answers on GMAT have some error ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi buffaloboy,

With this last post, there are a number of additional 'red flags' that absolutely would have impacted your performance.

From what you've described, you were likely over-exerting yourself in the 3 days leading up to your Exam. I understand that you probably had no choice about the job-related activities that you were responsible for, but taking a CAT less than 48 hours before your Test AND the long travel day immediately before would have almost certainly caused 'burn out.' During the Exam, you wouldn't even have realized that you were making mistakes.

You referred to the ride to the Test Center as being '20 minutes from where you stayed..' Was that at a hotel or some place other than your home? Did you sleep in a strange room, in a strange bed, the night before your Exam? That TOO can throw off a Test Taker's performance.

The GMAT question that you described (with the 5 similar answers) - was that an SC prompt? Although it's not too common on Test Day, sometimes the differences among answers to an SC question can come down to just 1-2 words.

I'm sure that you have the capacity to score higher on the Official GMAT, but there were just too many variables working against you on this attempt. Assuming that you plan to retest, you're going to have to try to better plan everything out so that you can minimize the factors that hurt your performance.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
From 710 to 580 : Is there any score reporting error [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi buffaloboy,

With this last post, there are a number of additional 'red flags' that absolutely would have impacted your performance.

From what you've described, you were likely over-exerting yourself in the 3 days leading up to your Exam. I understand that you probably had no choice about the job-related activities that you were responsible for, but taking a CAT less than 48 hours before your Test AND the long travel day immediately before would have almost certainly caused 'burn out.' During the Exam, you wouldn't even have realized that you were making mistakes.

You referred to the ride to the Test Center as being '20 minutes from where you stayed..' Was that at a hotel or some place other than your home? Did you sleep in a strange room, in a strange bed, the night before your Exam? That TOO can throw off a Test Taker's performance.

The GMAT question that you described (with the 5 similar answers) - was that an SC prompt? Although it's not too common on Test Day, sometimes the differences among answers to an SC question can come down to just 1-2 words.

I'm sure that you have the capacity to score higher on the Official GMAT, but there were just too many variables working against you on this attempt. Assuming that you plan to retest, you're going to have to try to better plan everything out so that you can minimize the factors that hurt your performance.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your involvement and encouraging words. Yeah you are right that there might be burn out but even with burn out I am sure I can fare well. Even on my previous attempt wherein I scored 710, I traveled for 10 hrs, stayed in a hotel and couldn't sleep at all. But this time I stayed at my close relative(kind of familiar and usual place for me). Moreover, I am pretty confident about Quant. I do remember I committed a silly mistake at Q34 but that's it.

That GMAT question was a CR question. Weakening type.

To be honest, now I am scared a bit given the fact that GMAC canceled many of test takers'scores this year in India .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Buffaloboy and Hi Cohen!
I took my GMAT two days back and scored just 560. Q 44 and V 33.
My experience was similar. I scored on an average a 680 on all the mocks I took and was pretty confident of scoring a 700+.
After completing my quant section I was certain that I had touched a 48-50 mark and took the Verbal with more confidence. The SC seemed very different from what I had seen but was pretty sure I managed to get at least 80% right. RC and CR were easy and I did not find them difficult. I managed to complete both the sections in time with approx a minute left in each sections. I was sure of a score around 680-700 mark but was shocked to see a 560 score.

There was an issue at the test center. After completing my IR section and after finishing my 8 minute break, the center faced some internet issues and they could not log me in. I had to wait for some 30 odd minutes before they could get everything back on track. Could that have affected my score in anyway?

I have been trying to figure out what went wrong and am still clueless. Its too hard for me to believe that I did not score even 650 on the test.

Buffaloboy - What was your section wise score? and what do you mean when you say "Gmac cancelled a lot of test takers score?"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sandy2beachin,

I would start with the same questions that I asked the original poster...

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take any of these CATs before?

Your self-assessment while you were taking the GMAT was clearly 'off', so there are likely other factors to consider besides the ones above. The GMAT gave you the score that you EARNED though - the 'log-in issue' had NO impact on how you were scored.

Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. We just need to properly define what was inaccurate about your practice and what you could have better done to maximize your performance on Test Day.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks Cohen for your reply.

Yes, my mocks were not exactly under the same environment/conditions and here are the answers to your questions :-
1) For 2 tests Yes, I took the entire test(AWA, IR , Q and V) and for the other two I only took the Quant and Verbal.
2) Yes I took them at home.
3) No, the timings were different.
4) No I did not take any longer breaks or skip sections. Just for the 2 CATS where I only took Quant and Verbal.
5) I never re-took any of the CATS and the questions were all different.

However, the previous night I could not sleep well because of anxiety but I never felt it to be an issue during the test. I never felt lethargic or sleepy. I was quite focused (at least that is what I feel). But now I think my sleep may have affected my performance. Moreover, I was studying late till the evening before the test.
I think these factors might have played a role, although it is still difficult for me to believe.

Thank you for your help :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
buffaloboy wrote:
Yeah you are right that there might be burn out but even with burn out I am sure I can fare well. Even on my previous attempt wherein I scored 710, I traveled for 10 hrs, stayed in a hotel and couldn't sleep at all. But this time I stayed at my close relative(kind of familiar and usual place for me). Moreover, I am pretty confident about Quant. I do remember I committed a silly mistake at Q34 but that's it.
You really should put yourself in the best possible position to do well. Take a couple of days off if you need to, because that's better than having to take the exam again. As an IIM grad, you might be used to working with little sleep, but that's never optimal (even if you feel later that everything was fine). In fact, lack of sleep is one of the biggest reasons people don't do well on exams, especially adaptive tests like the GMAT, which rarely "let up". You might take a risk with this if you are extremely good, but your score range is certain to take a hit. That is, you'll probably score in a wider "band" than normal.

Have you got the Exam Pack 1? It has two tests that you're likely to find useful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
What is your sectional cut off ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
What is your sectional score ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sandy2beachin,

The information from your last post is important - it points out the inconsistencies in how you were taking your CATs and a couple of other factors that would have absolutely impacted your performance on Test Day.

To start, the GMAT is a specific 'even't, which you CAN train for. If you're taking your CATs in an unrealistic way (ANY way that doesn't match up with what you'll fact on Test Day), then the score results will often be 'off' (and that usually means 'inflated'). Neither skipping sections nor taking your CATs at home is realistic; if there are any other choices you made that ended up making these CATs less realistic, then they too would have been factors. In addition, the lack of sleep and the CRAMMING that you did the night before most certainly hurt your performance.

Thankfully, all of these issues can be 'fixed' - you just have to be more conscientious with your studies (and how you take your CATs) going forward.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sandy2beachin wrote:
Hi Buffaloboy and Hi Cohen!
I took my GMAT two days back and scored just 560. Q 44 and V 33.
My experience was similar. I scored on an average a 680 on all the mocks I took and was pretty confident of scoring a 700+.
After completing my quant section I was certain that I had touched a 48-50 mark and took the Verbal with more confidence. The SC seemed very different from what I had seen but was pretty sure I managed to get at least 80% right. RC and CR were easy and I did not find them difficult. I managed to complete both the sections in time with approx a minute left in each sections. I was sure of a score around 680-700 mark but was shocked to see a 560 score.

There was an issue at the test center. After completing my IR section and after finishing my 8 minute break, the center faced some internet issues and they could not log me in. I had to wait for some 30 odd minutes before they could get everything back on track. Could that have affected my score in anyway?

I have been trying to figure out what went wrong and am still clueless. Its too hard for me to believe that I did not score even 650 on the test.

Buffaloboy - What was your section wise score? and what do you mean when you say "Gmac cancelled a lot of test takers score?"

Hi Sandy ,

Sorry for responding so late. Office keeps me busy like hell. My sectional cutoff is Q48,V21. Click here gmac-cancels-gmat-scores-199372.html. GMAC cancelled scored after one month.
Sandy you can ask GMAC customer care rep to provide you item challenge form through which you can challenge any question you think was wrong (Ans options presented were wrong).
I am equally clueless as in what went wrong. I never scored less than Q49 on any practice or real test with or without prep. So my doubt is what if GMAC updated the answer choices wrongly on GMAT ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
vinnisatija wrote:
What is your sectional score ?

Section cut off is Q48, V21
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
buffaloboy wrote:
Yeah you are right that there might be burn out but even with burn out I am sure I can fare well. Even on my previous attempt wherein I scored 710, I traveled for 10 hrs, stayed in a hotel and couldn't sleep at all. But this time I stayed at my close relative(kind of familiar and usual place for me). Moreover, I am pretty confident about Quant. I do remember I committed a silly mistake at Q34 but that's it.
You really should put yourself in the best possible position to do well. Take a couple of days off if you need to, because that's better than having to take the exam again. As an IIM grad, you might be used to working with little sleep, but that's never optimal (even if you feel later that everything was fine). In fact, lack of sleep is one of the biggest reasons people don't do well on exams, especially adaptive tests like the GMAT, which rarely "let up". You might take a risk with this if you are extremely good, but your score range is certain to take a hit. That is, you'll probably score in a wider "band" than normal.

Have you got the Exam Pack 1? It has two tests that you're likely to find useful.

You are right in saying that as an IIM grads I am used to less sleep and I do understand the importance of sleep before the test day. I had good 6-7 hrs sleep before the test day.
Well I need to retake the exam but I am clueless about how to approach and what to study. May be my shock factor is outweighing my motivation for or anticipation of a good score. Also my accuracy on practice questions (Verbals Only as for Quant its 99-100%) is around 95% and learning curve is almost flat :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Based on your posts you should just write it again. You know exactly the 3 or 4 questions you got wrong and you've mentioned repeatedly that there could have been a scoring error. On top of that, you get 95% of verbals correct and 99-100% of quant questions correct in your studying sessions. If all of this is true you should just write again. Your last post even mentions that you cannot possibly improve any more because you're perfect. Your original post mentions that your confidence is intact and I think that's pretty obvious.

I don't think in any of the posts you even mentioned the possibility that you actually got a lot of questions wrong, especially since you scored a 710 previously (2 years ago) and you're scoring over 750 in the practice exams (which are re-taken). Also based on your score breakdown, you didn't do so well on verbal but you're getting only 1 wrong out of 20 when you're studying. Now I could point out a handful of errors in your english just based on your posts on this thread. Something doesn't add up. I'm not ruling out that there was an error on the test but if things are as you indicate, you should just go and rewrite asap.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts