Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 18:18 It is currently 11 May 2024, 18:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73153 [0]
Given Kudos: 18946
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT Date: 05-23-2015
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Re: Frustrated from Practice Test Results - Need expert advice [#permalink]
It is very natural for any one to have fear psychosis and anxiety regarding test performance.
Thinking specifically- what might go wrong- on a particular issue may cause negativity.
The negativity that you have expressed can be good for you.
How ? You may have to find the reasons yourself.

As you know, GMAT is a standard test and it follows a pattern.
In the test every question must be answered.
The necessary skill to solve a question require test taker to correctly apply them.
Memory or retention plays a vital role, so application can be perfected through regular practice.
Since, you have already appeared in mock tests, it is easy for you to prepare a list of area that require study to improve accuracy.

It is natural to have stress as each test taker faces arduous task of answering variety of timed questions.
Every questions must be answered within an average time.
It is very true that every test taker has certain degree of performance anxiety because of time constraint.
You have already appeared many tests in your career and GMAT is another test.
In order do well in the GMAT, one must satisfy oneself honestly about one's ability to answer GMAT questions, quant and verbal, within a time period.
This require serious review of time log for right and wrong answers.

Wish you very best.

Arun.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
arunspanda wrote:
It is very natural for any one to have fear psychosis and anxiety regarding test performance.
Thinking specifically- what might go wrong- on a particular issue may cause negativity.
The negativity that you have expressed can be good for you.
How ? You may have to find the reasons yourself.

As you know, GMAT is a standard test and it follows a pattern.
In the test every question must be answered.
The necessary skill to solve a question require test taker to correctly apply them.
Memory or retention plays a vital role, so application can be perfected through regular practice.
Since, you have already appeared in mock tests, it is easy for you to prepare a list of area that require study to improve accuracy.

It is natural to have stress as each test taker faces arduous task of answering variety of timed questions.
Every questions must be answered within an average time.
It is very true that every test taker has certain degree of performance anxiety because of time constraint.
You have already appeared many tests in your career and GMAT is another test.
In order do well in the GMAT, one must satisfy oneself honestly about one's ability to answer GMAT questions, quant and verbal, within a time period.
This require serious review of time log for right and wrong answers.

Wish you very best.

Arun.

Thanks Arun. I can understand but what I think its not performance anxiety issue for me. As per my understanding, this can affect the candidate who has already done with Mock tests with good scores and when he/she goes for the D - Day. In my case, I am not able to apply/execute whatever I learnt while solving questions in mock tests only.

Aptitude tests are actually my weakness. If i have given 100s of books, I can mug it up all and score high (which I had already done in my Engineering). But while appearing for conceptually / logically driven questions esp like GMAT or an Indian MBA entrance exams, I always lags though I am clear with fundamentals.

So now I need proper approach / strategy to tackle the battle with GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Hi,
If I may offer my advice, everyone says start with your weaknesses, when I started studying I was weaker in Quant.
But my verbal was not that hot either.

With a negative attitude it is important to break down the big thing = the GMAT - into bite sized pieces.

I say start with verbal
Get e-GMAT
it is Very Very good,
You can go to the free sessions first, but you WILL want to join.

If you do their program there is no way your verbal will not improve.

Once you see better scores on your verbal which you can ascertain just by doing practice sets you don't need to do a full test, start looking for quant resources.
Ask yourself how good your algebra is.
Ask yourself how good your geometry is.
If you can't think of any formulas go to the library and get a BASIC pre-algebra book, that is what I did
You need to start from somewhere, and you can't do the advanced stuff if you are stuck on how to factor.

So in a nutshell:
Verbal - e-GMAT - you can devote 60 days to this
Pre-Algebra - 30 Days
Algebra - 30 days
Geometry - 30 days

GO back to the OG from there and you should see some results

If no results yet, you may have not followed the plan step by step.
This is very important if you want that MBA.

GOOD LUCK!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
ksheth wrote:
With lots of courage, I am writing this mail as I am now completely demotivated with my GMAT Practice Test scores. I require your assistance and guidance as well as motivation from you so that I can ace the GMAT. Sorry for writing such a long passage but then I want that one can understand the situation completely.

First of all let me make you aware of my background. I am an IT Geek Indian working in a major Indian IT firm as an Systems Engineer and about to complete 2 years in Jan 2014. I am graduated in mid 2011 in Electronics and Communication engineering. As everyone else does, I also want to make career change and hence decided to go for an MBA. I already tried to go for MBA in India. So that's why appeared in Indian MBA exam in 2012 but results were disastrous. Then almost for one year I was busy in my Job. After getting disastrous results in Indian CATs, I have decided to go for GMAT in late 2012.

As per my decision, I have started my preparation in July 2013 for GMAT. I have joined one local coaching class which has duration of 3 months. Though I am an Engineer, I am not very good at Maths and as a non native, I am also weak at Verbal. I am studying for GMAT for more than 5 months and It is not like that my basics are not clear but somehow I can't execute or apply. I joined GMAT Club and then I realized that GMAT is not going to be easy for me. As per my parents, I am very negative thinker and that's why I will not be able to clear any exam.

I have many books related to GMAT Preparation including major titles from major testprep companies. I gone through each of those material with OG 13. I had even go through Bunuel's post as well. In fact, I already have spend enough bucks for Preparation material for GMAT. What I understood now is that it is not particular book/course which in turn will make miracle for me. Everything I need to have persistence and self belief. I also had done good practice but somehow I am not able to convert in to good scores in Practice Mock Tests.

Why I am saying these words is due to complete bad performances after preparation in GMAT Prep software Test by GMAC. Let me tell you my scores. I had given GMAT Prep 1st Free Test 4 times. Note that each time I have simply skipped AWA and IR sections by giving random Guesses. My goal is to achieve 650+ in my first shot and I do not have time constraint or deadline. So I will take mock tests as much I can till I achieve 650 mark in practice test only. Then only I will go for GMAT.

1st Attempt - 370
2nd and 3rd - 450
4th Attempt - 440

I know may be you never have meet with the guy like me who is so bad at GMAT but one thing is clear that anyhow I want to crack GMAT. I know this journey will not be so easy but now after these much of Attempts and frustration, I need proper way out, plan and experienced hand which can help me to achieve good score on GMAT.

Now I am completely lost. I am not even able to find Weakness / Strength. That is I can solve any 500 level question without much problem but with slight tough question, I got completely stuck. Now How should I approach further. I require your guidance now otherwise I don't think I can never ever crack GMAT.

I used to follow expert's posts while visiting GMAT Club. Please tell me how should I now prepare. Also tell me how one like me can use this vast resource - GMAT Club. What is the best way to use any standard GMAT material as well as this community forums.

This is my kind request if anyone can help me. It would be so great for me to work as per experts' guidance.

Thanks

Practice in Nutshell
4 Months Plan
1st Month for Maths and Verbal Foundation
2nd Month for the GMAT Problems and Strategies
3rd Month for OG Review
4 th Month Practice test and GMAT

Best Luck
Stay Calm; Work Calm ; Live Calm…………..

:-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Policarpa wrote:
Hi,
If I may offer my advice, everyone says start with your weaknesses, when I started studying I was weaker in Quant.
But my verbal was not that hot either.

With a negative attitude it is important to break down the big thing = the GMAT - into bite sized pieces.

I say start with verbal
Get e-GMAT
it is Very Very good,
You can go to the free sessions first, but you WILL want to join.

If you do their program there is no way your verbal will not improve.

Once you see better scores on your verbal which you can ascertain just by doing practice sets you don't need to do a full test, start looking for quant resources.
Ask yourself how good your algebra is.
Ask yourself how good your geometry is.
If you can't think of any formulas go to the library and get a BASIC pre-algebra book, that is what I did
You need to start from somewhere, and you can't do the advanced stuff if you are stuck on how to factor.

So in a nutshell:
Verbal - e-GMAT - you can devote 60 days to this
Pre-Algebra - 30 Days
Algebra - 30 days
Geometry - 30 days

GO back to the OG from there and you should see some results

If no results yet, you may have not followed the plan step by step.
This is very important if you want that MBA.

GOOD LUCK!

Hello Policarp,

Thanks for revert. I would definitely work according the suggested plan. I have already gone through e-gmat's free sessions and those are quite good. But as I sad I found other major titles also very useful. Thing is I am not improving regardless of course-material. So now as you said I would again start with Verbal from the many books \ videos I have and then Algebra \ Geometry. Hope this time I would be able to aplly\execute whatever I would learn.

Thanks again.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rango wrote:
ksheth wrote:
With lots of courage, I am writing this mail as I am now completely demotivated with my GMAT Practice Test scores. I require your assistance and guidance as well as motivation from you so that I can ace the GMAT. Sorry for writing such a long passage but then I want that one can understand the situation completely.

First of all let me make you aware of my background. I am an IT Geek Indian working in a major Indian IT firm as an Systems Engineer and about to complete 2 years in Jan 2014. I am graduated in mid 2011 in Electronics and Communication engineering. As everyone else does, I also want to make career change and hence decided to go for an MBA. I already tried to go for MBA in India. So that's why appeared in Indian MBA exam in 2012 but results were disastrous. Then almost for one year I was busy in my Job. After getting disastrous results in Indian CATs, I have decided to go for GMAT in late 2012.

As per my decision, I have started my preparation in July 2013 for GMAT. I have joined one local coaching class which has duration of 3 months. Though I am an Engineer, I am not very good at Maths and as a non native, I am also weak at Verbal. I am studying for GMAT for more than 5 months and It is not like that my basics are not clear but somehow I can't execute or apply. I joined GMAT Club and then I realized that GMAT is not going to be easy for me. As per my parents, I am very negative thinker and that's why I will not be able to clear any exam.

I have many books related to GMAT Preparation including major titles from major testprep companies. I gone through each of those material with OG 13. I had even go through Bunuel's post as well. In fact, I already have spend enough bucks for Preparation material for GMAT. What I understood now is that it is not particular book/course which in turn will make miracle for me. Everything I need to have persistence and self belief. I also had done good practice but somehow I am not able to convert in to good scores in Practice Mock Tests.

Why I am saying these words is due to complete bad performances after preparation in GMAT Prep software Test by GMAC. Let me tell you my scores. I had given GMAT Prep 1st Free Test 4 times. Note that each time I have simply skipped AWA and IR sections by giving random Guesses. My goal is to achieve 650+ in my first shot and I do not have time constraint or deadline. So I will take mock tests as much I can till I achieve 650 mark in practice test only. Then only I will go for GMAT.

1st Attempt - 370
2nd and 3rd - 450
4th Attempt - 440

I know may be you never have meet with the guy like me who is so bad at GMAT but one thing is clear that anyhow I want to crack GMAT. I know this journey will not be so easy but now after these much of Attempts and frustration, I need proper way out, plan and experienced hand which can help me to achieve good score on GMAT.

Now I am completely lost. I am not even able to find Weakness / Strength. That is I can solve any 500 level question without much problem but with slight tough question, I got completely stuck. Now How should I approach further. I require your guidance now otherwise I don't think I can never ever crack GMAT.

I used to follow expert's posts while visiting GMAT Club. Please tell me how should I now prepare. Also tell me how one like me can use this vast resource - GMAT Club. What is the best way to use any standard GMAT material as well as this community forums.

This is my kind request if anyone can help me. It would be so great for me to work as per experts' guidance.

Thanks

Practice in Nutshell
4 Months Plan
1st Month for Maths and Verbal Foundation
2nd Month for the GMAT Problems and Strategies
3rd Month for OG Review
4 th Month Practice test and GMAT

Best Luck
Stay Calm; Work Calm ; Live Calm…………..

Thnx Rango,

As I mentioned I would start again from foundations and see if I can improve.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Good Luck,
Just remember -1 thing only

You don't need a stack of books, and you cannot do more than one thing at a time.
JUST DO ONE THING

Start with e-GMAT, watch the sessions on your computer without 6 other tabs open,
No e-mail, no IM, no phone
JUST GMAT

--------:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Policarpa wrote:
Good Luck,
Just remember -1 thing only

You don't need a stack of books, and you cannot do more than one thing at a time.
JUST DO ONE THING

Start with e-GMAT, watch the sessions on your computer without 6 other tabs open,
No e-mail, no IM, no phone
JUST GMAT

--------:)

One thing at a time; I agree

Learn Analysis

GMAT Club Bot