Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Galton’s claim that fingerprints are unique

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

Galton’s claim that fingerprints are unique [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 01:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (02:13) correct 17% (01:31) wrong based on 60 sessions
Galton’s claim that fingerprints are unique is almost universally accepted despite using less than one hundred samples for his initial investigation and statistical methods that are not entirely convincing.

A. Galton’s claim that fingerprints are unique is almost universally accepted despite using less than one hundred samples for his initial investigation and statistical methods that are not entirely convincing.
B. Galton’s claim that fingerprints are unique is almost universally accepted despite his using statistical methods that are not entirely convincing and less than one hundred samples for his initial investigation.
C. Even though Galton used one hundred samples or less, for his initial investigation, and used statistical methods that are not entirely convincing, his claim for fingerprints that are unique is almost universally accepted.
D. Even though Galton used less than one hundred samples for his initial investigation, and used statistical methods that are not entirely convincing, his claim that fingerprints are unique is almost universally accepted.
E. Even though Galton used less than one hundred samples for his initial investigation, his claim that fingerprints are unique is almost universally accepted, despite the fact that he used statistical methods that are not entirely convincing.

OA after discussion.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by koolgmat on 12 Jul 2013, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 366 [0], given: 241

Re: Galton’s claim that fingerprints are unique [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 02:14
Galton’s claim that fingerprints are unique is almost universally accepted despite using less than one hundred samples for his initial investigation and statistical methods that are not entirely convincing.
A. Galton’s claim that fingerprints are unique is almost universally accepted despite using less than one hundred samples for his initial investigation and statistical methods that are not entirely convincing.
Placement of participle USING distorts the meaning of the sentence as it now means that claim was accepted after using fewer sample & inappropriate Statistical methods. Thus Incorrect

B. Galton’s claim that fingerprints are unique is almost universally accepted despite his using statistical methods that are not entirely convincing and less than one hundred samples for his initial investigation.
This sentence is Fragment because no verb is present (Note USING is not a verb). Thus Incorrect

C. Even though Galton used one hundred samples or less, for his initial investigation, and used statistical methods that are not entirely convincing, his claim for fingerprints that are unique is almost universally accepted.
Correct

D. Even though Galton used less than one hundred samples for his initial investigation, and used statistical methods that are not entirely convincing, his claim that fingerprints are unique is almost universally accepted.
The sentence seems perfect in concision & clarity but it lacks punctuation. We can not join two independent clauses by a Comma (Error called Comma Splice). Thus Incorrect

E. Even though Galton used less than one hundred samples for his initial investigation, his claim that fingerprints are unique is almost universally accepted, despite the fact that he used statistical methods that are not entirely convincing.
The main clause is separated by Comma & works as if it is a non restrictive clause. If we remove this non restrictive clause only 2 dependent clauses will remain with out any independent clause and such a use is incorrect as per GMAT. Thus Incorrect

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.71
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Galton’s claim that fingerprints are unique [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 02:40
IMO the answer is D

Reason:
IMO claim for in option C is wrong

Hi, fameatop

fameatop wrote:
Correct

The sentence seems perfect in concision & clarity but it lacks punctuation. We can not join two independent clauses by a Comma (Error called Comma Splice). Thus Incorrect

can you explain how C is different from D with respect to joining two clauses by a comma? Thanks
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 366 [0], given: 241

Re: Galton’s claim that fingerprints are unique [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 02:58
I agree that "Claim for" is idiomatically incorrect in this context but in the light of other options i feel option C is the best among the rest although each option has one or the other errors. I recommend everyone not to focus on 1000 series questions because most of questions are debatable.

prash8429 wrote:
IMO the answer is D

Reason:
IMO claim for in option C is wrong

Hi, fameatop

fameatop wrote:
Correct

can you explain how C is different from D with respect to joining two clauses by a comma? Thanks

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Galton’s claim that fingerprints are unique [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 00:00
fameatop wrote:
Placement of participle USING distorts the meaning of the sentence as it now means that claim was accepted after using fewer sample & inappropriate Statistical methods. Thus Incorrect

This sentence is Fragment because no verb is present (Note USING is not a verb). Thus Incorrect

Correct

The main clause is separated by Comma & works as if it is a non restrictive clause. If we remove this non restrictive clause only 2 dependent clauses will remain with out any independent clause and such a use is incorrect as per GMAT. Thus Incorrect

I agree with prash8429. D should be the correct ans.
And i think two independent clauses connected by a conjunction can be joined by a comma.

Eg: Last week my mother was ill with a cold, and my sister took charge .

Awaiting more inputs...

Regards
Sony

A bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to take a turn.....

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 567 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Galton’s claim that fingerprints are unique [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 00:23
sony26 wrote:

And i think two independent clauses connected by a conjunction can be joined by a comma.

Awaiting more inputs...

Regards
Sony

You are perfectly right that two IC can be connected by COMMA +CONJUNCTION.....but in option D 2 IC are connected by a comma....==>conjunction is missing here...thats why it is not correct

D. Even though Galton used less than one hundred samples for his initial investigation, and used statistical methods that are not entirely convincing , his claim that fingerprints are unique is almost universally accepted.

RED highlited part is one IC and GREEN highlited part is other IC.==>they are connected by a commma only hence wrong.

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '15
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 97

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Galton’s claim that fingerprints are unique [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 07:02
koolgmat wrote:

OA after discussion.

What is the source of this question?
Less is not used correctly here, it should be fewer.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 82

Kudos [?]: 374 [0], given: 324

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Galton’s claim that fingerprints are unique [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 10:52
I think that there is no problem with D, although less should not be used here ..

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Galton’s claim that fingerprints are unique [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 20:32
blueseas wrote:
sony26 wrote:

Awaiting more inputs...

Regards
Sony

You are perfectly right that two IC can be connected by COMMA +CONJUNCTION.....but in option D 2 IC are connected by a comma....==>conjunction is missing here...thats why it is not correct

D. Even though Galton used less than one hundred samples for his initial investigation, and used statistical methods that are not entirely convincing , his claim that fingerprints are unique is almost universally accepted.

RED highlited part is one IC and GREEN highlited part is other IC.==>they are connected by a commma only hence wrong.

hope it helps

:thanks for the clarification

But, how can the second clause in D be IC especially when the first part of the sentence has "Even though"?
And with this light, i would choose option D as the correct ans.

Regards

Sony

A bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to take a turn.....

Re: Galton’s claim that fingerprints are unique   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2013, 20:32