Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Geometry/700-level SC and RC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Geometry/700-level SC and RC [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 20:47
Hi Club,

I've just finished the 6 MGMAT preps and I'm scoring around 680 on average. Before that I did the GMATPreps each twice and was scoring mid-600s. I really want to get 720+ to have a good shot at some scholarship money, so I need a boost. According to these MGMAT preps my biggest areas for improvement are as follows:

700-level SC and RC
Geometry (Only got 7 out of 22! Need big time GMAT geometry help)

I'm weak on 600 to 800-level quant questions too; I know how to do the problems but I'm struggling while on the clock. I think practice will improve this area and I don't have to stress too much about it, but I do need a heavy drilling of geometry.

I have most of the MGMAT guides, Sacksmann Bible, GMAT 800, OG 10, 11 & 12, OG Verbal, OG Quant, PR Cracking. I haven't found any of them to be fantastic in their geometry sections and nothing near 700-level RC and SC. Does anyone have any tips or resources specifically for GMAT geometry and 700+ SC and RC?

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Geometry/700-level SC and RC [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 03:32
Hello shanewyatt,

Most here have reported the biggest success with the MGMAT SC book. If you still need help beyond that, perhaps you should try the books in the GMAT fiction thread:
books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html

If you are struggling with the RC concepts, you should revisit the intro books. We have had many people report success with the LSAT books, but that applies to more advanced problems.

Regarding geo: The geometry questions on the GMAT (at the 600+ level) test your ability to either solve for an unknown or use simple proof to solve for an odd shaped object. The key with these problems is:

1. WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN. If you have a solid foundation in the properties of the various shapes, you can always solve the question. It's usually very indirect, none the less, it is not impossible.

2. SLOW DOWN and don't panic. The problems often look more difficult than they actually are. Knowns are sometimes not directly labeled and you must extrapolate from the knowns given to come up with the remaining knowns.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Geometry/700-level SC and RC   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2009, 03:32