Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31934 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29934 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Re: GMAT Advice, Please? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mschristineto wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I been studying "part-time" since February 1st for the GMAT and in the last week have been scoring 420-490 consistently on my practice exams. I took the actual GMAT exam today and scored 420. I'm thinking of quitting work for 2-3 months to fully focus on this exam, but I'm not sure if this is the right approach.

Anyone out there that has been in my shoes, can you provide some advice or feedback?

I'm pretty down about the results after committing the last 2 months to studying everyday and full time studying on weekends. Maybe my studying schedule is not right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-mschristineto

It might be HOW you are studying.

I suggest a systematic (even methodical) approach, in which you take the time to master each topic/concept (e.g., percents, ratios, assumption questions in critical reasoning, comparison questions in sentence correction, etc).

So, for each topic/concept, you should:
1) Learn the underlying concepts (rules, attributes, notation, etc.)
2) Learn GMAT-specific strategies related to that topic
3) Practice dozens of questions all related to that one topic.
4) Don't stop working on that topic until you have mastered it
Then, and only then, move on to the next topic.

To help you focus on one topic at a time, you can use GMAT Club's tagging feature.

I also suggest that you spend a lot of time reviewing the responses from the Experts on this site, since they often model the steps you should be taking when answering questions.

Finally, in addition to learning the core concepts and GMAT-specific strategies, be sure to work on your endurance and test-taking skills (e.g., time management) by taking several practice tests. If you're interested, we have a free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244

Cheers,
Brent
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
mschristineto wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I been studying "part-time" since February 1st for the GMAT and in the last week have been scoring 420-490 consistently on my practice exams. I took the actual GMAT exam today and scored 420. I'm thinking of quitting work for 2-3 months to fully focus on this exam, but I'm not sure if this is the right approach.

Anyone out there that has been in my shoes, can you provide some advice or feedback?

I'm pretty down about the results after committing the last 2 months to studying everyday and full time studying on weekends. Maybe my studying schedule is not right?

-mschristineto

Hi mschristineto,

Your score shows a clear lack of fundamentals. In your preparation so far, how did you study? What materials did you follow?

1.. Did you complete both the sections? (There is a high penalty if you do not complete a section)

You need to build the concepts/fundamentals before you jump in solving the problems. You can do so by choosing one of the following ways:

1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

Whatever you choose, make sure that you choose one. Because GMAT tests you on some concepts and fundamentals that you can learn from a course. Most of the preparatory companies offer a free trial of our course. You can take the trial and see if the course suits your needs.
In addition to the preparatory material, buy the Official Guides(both the Official Guide and the Verbal Review), Question Pack 1 and the 6 official mock CATs. They should be an indispensable part of your preparation.

You need close to 3 months to prepare well for the GMAT.

1. Understand the concepts and fundamentals before jumping into problem solving
2. Solve full length CATs including AWA and IR. You can get two free GMAT Prep mock CATs and can purchase two more from mba.com
3. Make sure you solve the official questions from the Official Guide

Coming to the question of leaving the work, you should certainly not leave the work. There are numerous number of people around the globe who prepare for the GMAT while working and you also can do it. Moreover, it will not put your application in a good light and you might have to cook up stories for your absence from the work, which again is not a good idea.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
mschristineto wrote:
Hello Everyone,

-mschristineto

1) Quitting job is certainly a bad idea

2) Time is not the only factor that affects your learning the way to deal with GMAT. Instead you need to work on discipline and routine to study everything (Quant and Verbal) with the focussed approach

3) The best possible alternative for you is to join the GMAT classes with expert and the follow the instructions as told. Identify the problem areas and keep working on them

The score that you have at the moment is at the stage where all you have is SCOPE OF IMPROVEMENT.

The improvement in beginning of your preparation will be very quick if you catch the right things to refer to and later it will require more of your brainstorming rather than just plain understanding.

I hope this helps!!!

Feel free to write us for your assessment of problem areas and to work on preparation strategy. The trial Class is available for FREE.
GMAT Club Bot