Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [1094]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [18]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [6]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [9]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
What is Reading Comprehension ?

Understanding a written text means extracting the required information from it as effectively as possible. "Required information" depends on what we are reading and why we are reading. For example , the approached used while looking for 'computer peripherals" in the classified section would be very different from the one used in reading a harry potter novel. That is we automatically and without too much formal training use multiple reading strategies depending on what we are reading and why we are reading it.

What Do we Read ?

* Newspapers and Magazines (headlines, articles, editorials , opinions , classifieds , score cards, tv/movie listings)
* Specialized articles , reports , reviews , essays , business letters
* Handbook ,Textbook guidebooks
* Novels , short stories, tales , other literary texts and passages
* Advertisements , Brochures, Catalogues
* Recipies , how to instructions , posters , road signs , graffiti, menus , price lists , tickets and so much more.

Why we Read :

1. Reading for pleasure and general information, to keep your self updated with the world , novels , books , articles on your interest areas.
2. Reading for Specific information , looking for specific answers or reading from the point of view of analysis (exam reading)

how we read ?

Extensive reading : Reading longer texts like Novels , short stories for your own pleasure. Typically this is a fluency activity and the focus is on global understanding that is following the major elements of the story with sometimes a lot of detail only at the periphery of active focus. Though the details are not at the center of focus the overall data is going into the brain in a sequential , chornological manner and so memeory is of some significance her. Not remembering what happened in prisoner of Azkaban will be of some hindrance in reading latter Harry Potter books.

Intensive reading: Reading shorter texts to extract specific information. This is an accuracy activity with focus on detailsas well as global understanding , however memory is associated only till the act of intensive reading i.e you can read , analyze and forget the text.

Skimming :Quickly running one's eye over the text to gather the subject , general topic , global idea. This is what you do typically with newspapers in the first run through before you decide what articles to read and in what order.

Scanning: Quickly going through a text to find a specific piece of information , this is what you do when you look for a specific dal in the classifieds, much like the skill required to go through a dictionary .

The strategies are not mutually exclusive with each other and often work with each other and are needed to work together if one needs total control over his reading skills. For example while reading an exciting novel the reader would often skim through parts of the story and use extensive reading only in the portions that really excite the reader. Or while reading intensively one might need to go back a couple of paragraphs to better understand the data or answer a question and the reader would use his scanning skills to look for the general area of that information.

Specific Skills involved in reading.

Reading as a skill is made up of small tasks and activities which mesh together to give you the view of the text. If we need to improve our Reading Skills it is paramount that we understand what are the mini skills that go into making this over skill.Not surprisingly all the questions that come in the reading sections of aptitude tests , are designed to test these very skills and an examiner uses this very list to create menacing questions so take your time with this list and try and acquire most if not all of the following sub skills

* deducing the meaning and use of unfamiliar words using context and inference
* Understanding Explicitly stated information
* Understanding information when not explicitly stated
* Understanding relations within the sentence
* Understand relations between parts of text
* Understanding cohesion between parts of text through grammatical cohesion devices
* Interpreting text by going outside it
* Identifying main point and most important information in a text
* Distinguishing the main idea from supporting details
* Extracting important points to summarize
* Selective extraction of relevant point in the text
* Basic reference skills
* Skimming
* Scanning for specific information
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tarun wrote:
Hello BB,
Thanks for the post. May be you can enhance it by adding the following -
1. Types of questions such as general (purpose of passage, author's objective etc), specific(inference, objective of last paragraph etc).
2. Strategy for each question type.
3. Common mistakes to avoid for each question type.
4. How to evaluate the answer choice.

Thank you very much for the suggestions!
I am not sure I have the capacity to go so granular (MGMAT RC and Kaplan Verbal Workbook do a great job already covering this info) but I think worth mentioning the most critical parts such as typical RC Traps.

• More often than not, the most typical second best answer choice on the RC will be out of scope. I found it quite amusing and made a game out of it (I know, I am a bit over the top with RC but it was the hardest section for me to master). After a while, I can very quickly (i.e. immediately) pick out an answer choice that goes outside of the scope of the passage as a general question (purpose/title/etc) or even a more specific one.
  • Another catch/trap you will see quite a bit is reliance on "trigger" words. For example, the passage will spend 2-3 sentences on one point and then at the end will flip it with a "but", "however", or another "trigger" word. This is designed to catch those who skim/skip or don't read attentively and is really a big reason to read the passage attentively (in my view) vs. just rushing through it. For example, a passage may talk about how the number of accidents has been growing and that many people have been injured in the last year in car accidents and at the end, say "but death rates have declined" and an example of a trap would be an answer choice that would say "Injuries and fatalities are rising as the result of car accidents."
  • Finally a more subtle way to get many of us to pick the wrong answer choice is making the text very heavy fact-based with long complex words and terminology, which distracts from the simple task of analyzing the passage and asking why each sentence is put where it is put. Sometimes, you can get to the answer by just looking at why a certain sentence is in a certain spot. However, most focus on facts, understanding/remembering which minerals or microbes live in which environment, etc. The facts and dry details are there not to test your memory/knowledge of the subject but rather to distract and not let you see the passage structure clearly.

This is it for now :)
If you have a technique or method that helped you, please share.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [14]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Fundamental skills in reading.,

1. Find the main idea first: Even a small passage is trying to get a specific idea through. Skimming through the passage before you read it will give you some context of what the passage is about. Start with subject and then the specific topic of the subject. This read through of the text before you move in for the kill will help you grab the inner ideas well and help you to connect them with each other and place them in a larger context. This is a very simple skill to master. All you need to do is now whatever you read , paragraph by paragraph try and identify the main idea and the topic statement, i.e that one idea that captures the crux of the paragraph. This very simple activity develop your ability to round up an idea.It will help you distinguish between main idea and secondary details in a text, in other words the point being made and the data used to support or clarify that point. It will improve your paraphrasing skills and help you answer main idea questions.

2. Read actively: Active reading is asking questions while reading all the time.One major problem in test reading is maintaining the concentration level while reading difficult , unfamiliar text. This very simple habit of asking questions about whatever you are reading automatically ensures your involvement. Active reading is asking a question about whatever word you are reading. For example the text goes like this " it is one of the major reasons for that" active reading is asking what is "it" and what is "that". We are not talking about big fancy intelligent questions we are talking about " what is this" kind of questions. Asking questions you will often find the answer very easily since after all the answer is there in text but this activity will help you relate sentences and paragraph with each other. For example say the second paragraph of a passage starts with " this did not work too long" your active reading questions should be "what did not work too long" and since whatever we are talking about is in the previous paragraph and you are coming from that very paragraph so the answer will not take too long but it will refresh and consolidate what you have just read. Also you would have looked for the main idea of the previous paragraph so by active reading you just for a microsecond repeat the idea because a question was raised, if you know the answer while you see the word sentence already very good you are on the right track and are paying attention. So remember ask questions while you read.

3. Be aware of keywords: But, however , yet, since , therefore, because, on the other hand, though , although and many other words help connect two sentences or ideas. the word used tells us the relationship between the sentence we have read and the sentence we are about to read. In fact knowing keywords and their various functions gives you the magical reading power of prediction. For example a however or a but shows a change in reasoning or turnaround of logic whereas a therefore or a because indicate conclusion and reason respectively. ok try this " although Ponting is a great athlete......................." what do you come in the blank ? (a. another positive statement, b. a negative statement). Knowledge of keywords and paying attention and using active reading whenever you encounter them will go a long way in improving your comprehension.

4. Be aware of text structures : your keywords will help you establish patterns at both paragraph and passage level helping you fit all the pieces all together. Quickly identifying the pattern/structure helps you assimilate the information better since you already know what kind of information is going to be presented.A common structure that almost everybody is aware of is chronological where the information is presented in order of time. A passage may have an overall structure and a structure operating at paragraph level. Pattern recognition will go a long way in helping you make a cohesive whole of the ideas in the passage.

5. Improve your Argument analysis/Critical reasoning: Most expository text is trying to make a point , convince you of something so there will be plenty of arguments presented in the text and you will find questions pertaining to understanding , analysis and application of the arguments. Developing your critical reasoning skills is a necessary component of your reading skills.

6. Read as much as possible: Not technically a skill but a habit which is necessary for building great skills since the more you read the more practice you get in the above. You also see the keywords and usage and and hence develop your reading info database. Super Regular reading and from a wide variety of sources can to a certain extent the problem of unfamiliarity and fear. Plus reading is the surest fasted way to increase your intelligence both hardware and software.

Originally posted by takshzilabeta on 20 Apr 2010, 10:47.
Last edited by takshzilabeta on 20 Apr 2010, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: general management
Schools:rice univ, boston univ, unc charlotte, manchester b school.
GPA: 3.65
WE 1: advertizing
WE 2: team management
WE 3: project management
Send PM
Kudos
gr8 post. my 2 cents here: read keenly 1) the 1st line of the 1st para 2) the last line of the concluding para. most of the answers to global questions and author's intent can be discerned from them.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3827 [4]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
Very well written
I liked the "Tips" and the "Common Mistakes with RC" parts
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
diogoguitarrista wrote:
I started with the most traditional way (as Kaplan says), which is: read the entire passage, paraphrase the paragraphs review mentally in the end. As I am a foreigner student, it is taking too much time.
I would like to know what people are doing with their RCs as well :-D
One guy in this forum called Rhyme (as stated above) tells people to read strategic parts of the text (just the 1st paragraph and the 1st sentence of the other paragraphs and just skim for keywords) rather than read it entirely.

What do you guys think about this strategy?

In parallel, to work out my vocabulary, I am reading a romance book, which is recommended in this forum ("The great gatsby", very good one).

Kaplan's is the approach I followed. Being an international student, I got V42 - 96th Percentile.
Rhyme's approach can work, but you need to be really good to succeed there. I found Kaplan's to be more reliable for myself. This may vary from person/personality to person. I'd say try both and settle on the one that you are most comfortable with and then, stick with it!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
diogoguitarrista wrote:
Thanks a lot!

Well, how often do you stop reading to take notes?
I would think that the "perfect" would be in between paragraphs, but I just forget what I just read if I do this! So I write one or two words per sentence... just the keywords

-

Usually between paragraphs but if you do have a hard time remembering, then as often as needed.
When I took notes, I usually never had to refer to them, but if I did not take them, I did not remember the text as well. Go figure 8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Consulting
Schools:Kellogs, Darden, Stern, Tepper
Send PM
Kudos