Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [33]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [4]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32952 [0]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: GMAT Integrated Reasoning - A beginner's guide [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bumping up for review
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 659
Schools: LBS MFA "23
Send PM
I have my 2nd GMAT exam on 28 Auguest. As of today, I am done with my quants and verbal practice and I have time for mocks and IR & AWA. How many questions each day should I pracice for IR and AWA? many say a week is enough. For my first attemp, I didnt study for Ir at all and AWA was not included in the online GMAT back then in March so AWA is completely new for me and IR is 95% new. Please guide me !!!

Approximately how many questions for IR and AWA and how much time should I allot it? or should I practice it along the mocks itself and do not allot it additional time?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT Focus 1:
625 Q84 V80 DI79
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
Send PM
Kudos
TheEconomistGMAT wrote:

What is the GMAT Integrated Reasoning section?

How the GMAT Integrated Reasoning section is scored

There is much confusion over how GMAC scores Integrated Reasoning (IR). Let’s simplify it!

The IR section is non-adaptive and doesn’t count towards your 200-800 score. There are 12 questions in this section. Of these, two to four can be experimental. No one really knows what the point value of each question is exactly – otherwise we would know exactly how many experimental questions there are. GMAC would prefer that be kept unknown.

The question order and difficulty levels of the questions are random. All questions have the same point value, regardless of difficulty level. It is fair to say that the four questions types will be seen at least once each for each test-taker.

The experimental questions do not count, so the score is based on how many questions one answers correctly out of how many are not experimental. This is your raw score, which is then scaled to a score out of eight. This scaled score is also affected by the general difficulty level of the questions you answered correctly, but the influence is probably minimal. In addition to your raw score, you will also be given a percentile ranking. The percentile rankings have changed since IR’s inception two years ago, but have recently stabilized to the below:

(Percentiles chart from GMAC)

So remember this:
  • Don’t try to guess which questions are experimental.
  • Timing is crucial here, but do not get stuck anywhere, and work to your strengths.
  • You can make mistakes and receive a perfect score.
  • Remember to preserve your brain energy for the Quant and Verbal sections on the exam! They are still the most important sections.
  • If you are running out of time, GUESS!

How to prepare for the Integrated Reasoning section

An increasing number of students are asking me how much the Integrated Reasoning (IR) section will matter in business schools’ admissions decisions, and what they should do to prepare for the section.

Applicants’ IR scores may factor in some schools’ decisions. Some consulting firms are also taking the scores into account as part of their hiring process. Big data is taking over and many workplaces are seeking employees who can analyze complex data. The IR section addresses this (well, as much as a 30 minute section of a standardized exam can!).

How much you study for IR should be based on the amount of time you have to prepare for the GMAT, and in what industry you wish to be employed. In my opinion, it’s still far more important to get an impressive Verbal/Quant score.

The IR section comes before Verbal/Quant, but I am not of the opinion that IR will destroy your stamina. After all, the IR section is only half an hour long. It can only hurt the rest of the exam for you if you become stressed about it.

Take a deep breath and recognize that you will have learned most of IR by studying for the Quantitative and Verbal sections. You should still study for the IR so you will know what to expect, and you will therefore worry less. No surprises equals less stress.

Remind yourself of the following:

• Have perspective: the IR section is only a half hour long and is not part of the 200-800 score.
  • Learn the IR question types and formats.
  • Try not to invest too much emotionally into the AWA and IR sections. You should be saving your energies for the Verbal and Quant sections.

Requesting for the updates in this post (or a new analysis post) for GMAT Focus DI Section :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1030 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11181 posts