Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online Course [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sdsach wrote:
Hi Experts,

I am planning to take GMAT and its been over 14 years I have left college so need some refresher on my Quant and Verbal to get myself ready up for the test. I am looking for some courses that will walk me through the basic and then focus on the strategy part where I can master on how to get best score. I am looking to invest 3 months in preparation with average 10 to 15 hours weekly and looking for minimum score of 650.

Would really appreciate if you experts can guide with best online course I can take to meet my target. From my research I came across Kaplan, Manhattan, economist, egmat, etc but not sure which has best online course that would cover basics and more detailed strategies to score more.

Regards
Mission2017

I assume that you have taken a look at what the GMAT exam looks like and thereafter, you have decided to take a course.

Read up about the Veritas courses here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/

In fact, you can see a GMAT course video in action here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/free-gmat-lesson/

And here you will find some student reviews: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/gmat-course-reviews/
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sdsach,

As you research the GMAT Prep that is best for you, one way that you could learn more about Kaplan courses is by joining a free event called Inside the Classroom. This event gives attendees the chance to watch an hour of a Kaplan online class from a student perspective. You could preview Kaplan strategies and ask any questions of the teachers who are present, which is an opportunity offered at all of our events. You can find the list of our upcoming events at this link: https://www.kaptest.com/gmat/enroll?tab=events Our next Inside the Classroom event is on Sept. 26 and is included in the list.

Best,
Jennifer
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29936 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
To achieve a 650+ GMAT score, you must:

1) Learn the concepts and techniques tested on the GMAT (e.g., circle properties, divisibility rules, past perfect tense, equation-solving, etc.)

2) Master GMAT-specific strategies (e.g., testing the answer choices, rephrasing the target question, identifying subjects and verbs in sentences, etc.)

3) Understand the many different ways the test-makers can test your knowledge of each concept

4) Hone your test-taking skills (e.g., endurance, time management, guessing strategies, etc.)

Many students make the mistake of limiting their preparation to item #1 (and perhaps item #2). So, once they fully grasp a concept and successfully answer 1 or 2 related questions, they move on to the next topic.

The problem with this strategy is that the test-makers can take any concept, no matter how simple, and create dozens of wildly different questions , each requiring a different approach. So, to achieve a great score, you must answer a lot of practice questions specifically-related to each concept tested on the GMAT.

Given all of this, I recommend a systematic approach, in which you take the time to thoroughly address each topic/concept. So, for each topic/concept, you should:

- Learn the underlying concepts (rules, attributes, notation, etc.)

- Learn the GMAT-specific strategies related to that topic

- Practice dozens of questions, all related to that one topic.

- Don't stop working on that topic until you have mastered it

Then, and only then , move on to the next topic.

Our free course is specifically designed with this approach in mind. For example, at the bottom of the lesson page on inequalities (https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat ... /video/979), you’ll find links to dozens of practice questions that test the specific concepts covered in that video.

Having said that, you can use the same approach with ANY prep course. To help you fully explore the ins and outs of each topic, you can use GMAT Club's question-tagging tool (search.php?view=search_tags). This will give you access to tons of topic-specific practice questions.

Finally, your study plan should include several full-length practice tests. Keep in mind that the GMAT is a test of your math and verbal skills AND it's a test of your test-taking skills. So, 700-level math/verbal skills, combined with 600-level test-taking skills, will likely result in a score that's closer to 600 than to 700.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Brent
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
sdsach wrote:
Hi Experts,

I am planning to take GMAT and its been over 14 years I have left college so need some refresher on my Quant and Verbal to get myself ready up for the test. I am looking for some courses that will walk me through the basic and then focus on the strategy part where I can master on how to get best score. I am looking to invest 3 months in preparation with average 10 to 15 hours weekly and looking for minimum score of 650.

Would really appreciate if you experts can guide with best online course I can take to meet my target. From my research I came across Kaplan, Manhattan, economist, egmat, etc but not sure which has best online course that would cover basics and more detailed strategies to score more.

Regards
Mission2017

Hi sdsach,

The best way to research about a course is by going through the reviews here:
https://gmatclub.com/reviews/gmat_courses?fl=menu

You need to build the concepts/fundamentals before you jump in solving the problems. You can do so by choosing one of the following ways:

1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

Whatever you choose, make sure that you choose one. Because GMAT tests you on some concepts and fundamentals that you can learn from a course. Most of the preparatory companies including ours offer a free trial of our course. You can take the trial and see if the course suits your needs.

In addition to the preparatory material, buy the Official Guides(both the Official Guide and the Verbal Review), Question Pack 1 and the 4 official mock CATs. They should be an indispensable part of your preparation.

You need close to 3 months to prepare well for the GMAT.

1. Understand the concepts and fundamentals before jumping into problem solving
2. Solve full length CATs including AWA and IR. You can get two free GMAT Prep mock CATs and can purchase two more from mba.com
3. Make sure you solve the official questions from the Official Guide
GMAT Club Bot