Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 16:21 It is currently 08 May 2024, 16:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3675 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11675 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GMAT Re-Take Plan -- PLEASE HELP!!! [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi dutchmen991,

The GMAT is a specific "event" which you can train for, but you can't be inconsistent with your decision-making and you can't afford to do "silly" things. The information you've provided is helpful in that it points out a number of things that you could/should have done differently. I'm hoping that you can provide a bit more information about how you've studied and your overall timeline/plans:

1) It looks like you studied for a little more than 2 months. Most Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on their studies to hit their 'peak' scores. Is there any particular reason why you tried to finish this all off by March 19th?

2) You described a heavy intake of caffeine and Adderall on Test Day, but it also sounds like you didn't normally do that during practice. WHY did you do in on Test Day? The reaction that you had to the Adderall is actually common for someone who does not use it all that often.

3) Your goal is to score 700+, but you didn't get close enough during your practice CATs to have made that outcome likely, so why didn't you push your Test Date back and continue studying?

4) When you took your practice CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
5) Did you take your CATs at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
6) Did you do ANYTHING while taking your practice CATs that would considering unrealistic (such as pausing the CAT, skipping sections, listening to music, eating/drinking while taking the CAT, skipping the breaks, etc.)?

As to your questions, you've already defined some of your "weak" areas - if the practice materials that you've used are not helping you to improve in those areas, then you need some new resources (and likely some new tactics). You should plan to take 1 FULL-LENGTH practice CAT every 1-2 weeks. From your Official Scores, I don't think that you've 'mastered' any of the material, so revisiting all of it is probably warranted.

Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Also, Business Schools don't care if you take the GMAT more than once, so doing so is not a problem. Before you retake the GMAT though, you really have to focus on making your practice "line up" with Test Day in every way that is reasonably possible. You might also need to invest in some new resources to help you pick up those missing points.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

1) I studied for 10 weeks. It was the length of my semester and I chose to try and finish it within that amount of time. I figured even if I didn't get my desired score, it would serve as a good trial run for a second attempt.
2) I usually take 1 adderall/day when I study. I thought increased focus would help, but it obviously served as a detriment to my score.
3) see #1
4) I took ENTIRE tests every time.
5) I took the last few CATs at the same time of day.
6) During my CATs, the only unrealistic aspect was that on the majority of them, I was at the library and could hear people walking, doors closing, etc.

I will make sure to take 1 CAT every 1-2 weeks. How should I go about studying my weaknesses? Should I start from square one for SC, Algebra, and Word Problems?

Thanks a lot for the input, I really appreciate it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi dutchmen991,

Now that you've experienced the Official GMAT, you have an understanding of all of the 'details' that go into Test Day. You can use this knowledge/perspective when taking CATs during this next round of studies. I suspect that the extra Adderall and Red Bull had a significant impact on your performance, so you should plan to go back to the "normal" amounts of everything that you consumed during your CATs.

From your last several practice CATs, you were clearly scoring in the low-to-mid 600s, so we have to see if there's any more improvement that you can make on your own or if some new practice materials and tactics are required. To score 700+ on Test Day, you're likely going to have to make some significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

I suggest that you study "your way" for the next 1-2 weeks, then take another FULL-LENGTH CAT. If your scores are 'in line' with your other scores, then we'll have the evidence that some changes will have to be made. If you improve, then it's possible that you just needed more time and repetitions. You should report back here with your scores and we can go from there.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi dutchmen991,

Now that you've experienced the Official GMAT, you have an understanding of all of the 'details' that go into Test Day. You can use this knowledge/perspective when taking CATs during this next round of studies. I suspect that the extra Adderall and Red Bull had a significant impact on your performance, so you should plan to go back to the "normal" amounts of everything that you consumed during your CATs.

From your last several practice CATs, you were clearly scoring in the low-to-mid 600s, so we have to see if there's any more improvement that you can make on your own or if some new practice materials and tactics are required. To score 700+ on Test Day, you're likely going to have to make some significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

I suggest that you study "your way" for the next 1-2 weeks, then take another FULL-LENGTH CAT. If your scores are 'in line' with your other scores, then we'll have the evidence that some changes will have to be made. If you improve, then it's possible that you just needed more time and repetitions. You should report back here with your scores and we can go from there.

Rich

Hey Rich,

If you have a second, I would really appreciate some advice! I spent 1 week reviewing one of my weaknesses (algebra) and 1 week reviewing word problems. I just finished a practice test where I scored a 650 (my highest score yet). After looking through the Quant questions, I was able to eliminate wrong answers on these two sections, but most of my missed questions were tied to arithmetic. I think I will be able to regain my arithmetic skills with a few days of review. Somehow, I got 10/13 correct on SC which is much higher than usual.

Given my scores for these sections, where it is more likely I can make improvements? Increase my Verbal to 90th percentile, or get Quant up to 75th percentile. Obviously, I struggle more with Quant, but want to attribute more time to the area which is more likely to improve my overall score.

Scores are attached.

Thanks,
Ryan
Attachments

Screenshot 2015-04-12 15.32.36.png
Screenshot 2015-04-12 15.32.36.png [ 42.54 KiB | Viewed 3183 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Ryan,

Based on the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores, you have a fairly equal opportunity to pick up points in BOTH sections. All things being equal, many Business Schools tend to prefer applicants who have a higher Quant Scaled Score, so you might want to put some extra emphasis into your studies for that section. Your Quant Scaled Scores mean that you're likely doing really well on the "math" questions that you face, but you're missing out on a lot of 'strategy' points (including a number of missed DS questions) and you're likely making some little mistakes on other 'gettable' questions. As such, you might want to invest in some resources that focus on strategies, tactics, patterns, etc.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Ryan,

Based on the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores, you have a fairly equal opportunity to pick up points in BOTH sections. All things being equal, many Business Schools tend to prefer applicants who have a higher Quant Scaled Score, so you might want to put some extra emphasis into your studies for that section. Your Quant Scaled Scores mean that you're likely doing really well on the "math" questions that you face, but you're missing out on a lot of 'strategy' points (including a number of missed DS questions) and you're likely making some little mistakes on other 'gettable' questions. As such, you might want to invest in some resources that focus on strategies, tactics, patterns, etc.

Rich

Hey Rich, I really appreciate the advice. I spent a lot of time reviewing OG DS questions and just took another practice test. I got my best Quant score and then lost stamina during the Verbal and performed WELL BELOW what I usually score (usually only miss 1 or 2 CR). So now its been about 3 weeks:

Week 1: Algebra
Week 2: Word Problems
Week 3: Data Sufficiency

(Spent 90% of time just on the subjects above. Would do a RC or set of 14 SCs at the end of the night about 3x per week)

My question is to you is where should I focus now?

-I know test stamina is big since I think that was my downfall today. I had a little bit less food/red bull/water than usual for this test (tried it out).
-As far as test areas go, where should I focus my efforts (more balance toward Verbal?).
-Is it fair to combine my Q45/V36 as what I am capable of under perfect conditions?
-When should I take my next practice test.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the advice.

Ryan
Attachments

File comment: Breakdown 2
Screenshot 2015-04-17 16.45.36.png
Screenshot 2015-04-17 16.45.36.png [ 33.58 KiB | Viewed 3130 times ]

File comment: Breakdown 1
Screenshot 2015-04-17 16.45.11.png
Screenshot 2015-04-17 16.45.11.png [ 28.01 KiB | Viewed 3132 times ]

File comment: All CATs
Screenshot 2015-04-17 16.44.03.png
Screenshot 2015-04-17 16.44.03.png [ 41.29 KiB | Viewed 3118 times ]

GMAT Club Bot