Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Yes, you have to change the way you are learning. Perhaps you are just accepting information differently. Try creating notes - works for many or something else (such as teaching others, etc) - there is nothing to stop you as long as you have a drive to achieve the score you believe you want/deserve/need. You can absolutely do it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello, I'm new to the forum turned up here to essay cure and your orderly hearts.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello, I'm new to the forum turned up here to aspire support and your talented hearts.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
Thanks for the tip, "bb". All the graphs posted showed ~100 hours as optimal for a 700+ score. If 3 months isn't enough, would 4-5 months be better then? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but my study plan is more open-ended -- I was thinking 3 months is enough looking at the data, but now I'm not so sure....

bb wrote:
bipolarbear wrote:
excellent post bb.
One thing I would emphasize is how quickly procrastination time goes by. It is way too easy to begin studying with 3 months left, take a short break, and resume studying with only weeks left. On the one hand, it seems like one month is plenty of time to study for just a single test, but after really starting, you realize that you have a LOT to cover and begin panicking. I know that's the case with me. 2 months ago I thought I had an eternity to study, but a couple of days ago I realized I am screwed and wish I had more time. :(

Thank you!
Great point - the message should be clear: If you only have 3 months left and need 700+ score - you are already late!
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
@ bb

I am following this study plan from last April 22, 2011. I have attempted my maiden GMAT practice test from GMATPrep2. After that, I have started going through the basics of GMAT using the Kaplan Premier 2011. I started with the Math Basics first. My performance in DS questions is really miserable (only 7 correct out of 20 Qs compared to 44 correct out of 50 Qs in PS).

In this situation, should I continue reading the verbal section from Kaplan Premier 2011 and complete the book OR should I stop reading Kaplan Premier 2011 right here and get the basics of DS from other books/GMATClub.com?

PLEASE I NEED SUGGESTIONS IN THIS REGARD!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I was wondering, if I complete the kaplan books (math, verbal and premier) and I have an "overall" score of 6 out of 7 correct and 1 out of 7 wrong on math section and 4 out of 5 correct and 1 out of 5 wrong on verbal (calculations based on wrong answers to total etc.). Will it then be possible for me to score 500 or 600? I need at least 500, but 600 would be way better.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everyone,

It's my first day on the forums, getting ready to start prep this week. I have noticed in all the prep that the Analytical Writing Assessment Section is pretty much ignored. Is this part not very relevant?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What is the best content to purchase to attack the GMAT ? On amazon reviews, you say manhattan and the OG are the best route. But then in other forums you say Kaplan and OG are the best. So which one is it?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi all .. i am new to this forum and GMAT.I went through this whole thread and every1 has listed a sample GMAT test to be taken to know once position before starting preparation.It will be really helpful if any1 can provide sites where i can take free Sample GMAT test.I found out lots of such sites in the net but i want to know which is the best site to take a sample test.
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
ramkumartechy wrote:
Hi all .. i am new to this forum and GMAT.I went through this whole thread and every1 has listed a sample GMAT test to be taken to know once position before starting preparation.It will be really helpful if any1 can provide sites where i can take free Sample GMAT test.I found out lots of such sites in the net but i want to know which is the best site to take a sample test.

Hi ramkumartechy,
I think the link below may help you much.
all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html?fl=menu
However, I suggest not to use all the GMATPrep tests before you are fully acquainted with the strategies to beat, and procedures of GMAT.
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
This is always better to work on Official Guide first. Because those have the questions asked in GMAT, so they will give the idea of pattern and real taste of the GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am non-English native speaker. I planned 3 month to retake the Gmat. My last score was 520, the problem is verbal, only 19. I always nervous when I take the real verbal section. But when I practice, I can have better score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
zhouning wrote:
I am non-English native speaker. I planned 3 month to retake the Gmat. My last score was 520, the problem is verbal, only 19. I always nervous when I take the real verbal section. But when I practice, I can have better score.

I guess it doesn't matter whether you are a native english speaker or non-native. If you just complete the study material honestly and follow all the rules of the game, It will not be far from the reach. your score 520 shows that though you have low score on verbal but quant is fair enough, so just have to focus on verbal. I feel you need to keep yourself motivated and practice, practice & practice.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CSCP APICS
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Concentration: Supply Chain Managment
 Q30  V20
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
thank you

very helpful plan..

it is gona be my first time taking the exam in 8 weeks time and i really don't know how to start but my initial plan as follows:

2 weeks math reveiw

3 weeks verbal review

and 2 weeks test practicing
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 667 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: MBA-Entrepreneurship
Schools:Belmont University
 Q25  V25 GMAT 2: 420  Q23  V24
GPA: 3.0
Send PM
it is gonna be my first time taking the exam in 8 weeks time and i really don't know how to start but my initial plan as follows:

2 weeks math review

3 weeks verbal review

and 2 weeks test practicing
Shalom!
I was trying to decide if I should work on both verbal and quant simultaneously but after reading your post this morning I will just stay with my initial plan of working on quant first then verbal.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Srini88 wrote:
Hi BB,

Is 700 enough for top 10 b-schools.

I just started my preparation 15 days back. I scored 610 in GMAT Prep. Is it a decent start? Pls pour in your thoughts. Thanks bb.. :)

Yes, 700 is plenty for pretty much all schools.
See this thread for more questions on that: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello BB,
I'm new to the forum but have taken the GMAT before using Princeton review and coaching. The last time I took the GMAT was over 5 years ago and I must say that I didn't give the classes I took or my studying the time and energy a serious GMAT test taker should. Reading the tips from this forum and hearing how enthusiastic everyone is with their studying has really energized me to go about it the right way this time around....that being said, I started studying on my own in early May in hopes to take the GMAT again by July...My first CAT test was a Kaplan exam where i was surprised (pleasantly) to score a 570...I was feeling good until I took official practice exam from GMAT last weekend and scored a measly 450....SIGH...I'm kind of freaking out, I've decided to push ego aside and start from the scratch, RETURN 2 ZERO, especially after reading the "Build your study plan" post and push back my test date to late August...giving me a little more than 2 months..
My main problem is in Quant...I was hoping to get some help on my proposed study plan. I've picked up the MGMAT Number properties book that everyone seems to be raving about, did the first chapter today along with the questions and I'm very pleased so far, i started with the KAPLAN book in May, but I think MGMAT is better suited for me. I'm planning to follow the chapters in the number properties books, answer the "In Action" problems in the back then move on to the OG problems associated with the chapter...does this sound like a good idea? Or should i move on to the other chapters first and save all the OG questions after I've completed all chapters from the first part? (i.e. the general part of the book). I'm planning to spend the requisite 1 month on Math before brushing up on verbal....Any tips (e.g. other MGMAT books I should get, when to move on to OG questions, when get back to practice tests...etc) would be greatly appreciated...
P.S. - I'm also making sure to use an error log... I felt that tonight felt like a better study session just because the error log really forced me to review.
Would really appreciate your feedback and tips. Looking forward to your response. Thank you sir!

Kind regards,
R2z (return 2 zero)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  42