Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2016, 22:33
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Location: Bahain
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2011, 11:47
Can anybody please tell me if remembering the list of GMAT words is really worth it, considering that it will take me 45 days to complete the list of 1350 words?

My target is to get min 720, and I may already know 25% of these words. I have skimmed the list quickly.

Reply to this would really help me as 45 days are a lot to spend !!!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: AS - Gold, HH-Diamond
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 13982
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 3460

Kudos [?]: 20631 [0], given: 4340

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2011, 21:40
TabishJavaid wrote:
Can anybody please tell me if remembering the list of GMAT words is really worth it, considering that it will take me 45 days to complete the list of 1350 words?

My target is to get min 720, and I may already know 25% of these words. I have skimmed the list quickly.

Reply to this would really help me as 45 days are a lot to spend !!!



No, there is no correlation between studying words and GMAT results.
GMAC did a study on this. Not worth it really to study anything other than standard/common words.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

US News 2008 - 2017 Rankings progression - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 473
Location: India
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 59

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2011, 23:51
Hi, that is a very useful intensive study plan. I am a novice. Just starting to get hang of preps for GMAT. After 10 years of work experience, it is difficult to go back to books. However, this is a synopsis of my plan. I am currently going through the MGAT strategies, post which I wish to go through Dummies, OG, NOVA, some Princeton reviews. I am currently focussing only on PS/DS.Want to take them one at a time, to brush up my concepts before I get into to real test practices.After completion I wish to take up a course with Manhattan.
Need your advice, if I am heading correct, or do I need to have any different approach.
_________________

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++



-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: AS - Gold, HH-Diamond
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 13982
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 3460

Kudos [?]: 20631 [0], given: 4340

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2011, 09:05
I would recommend that you start with the Foundations book for Math just in case and see how it goes. Otherwise, you don't need diff materials, just will need to spend more time and make sure you are refreshing it well enough (don't rush)

MGMAT Math Foundations
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

US News 2008 - 2017 Rankings progression - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Location: Bahain
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2011, 10:11
bb wrote:
TabishJavaid wrote:
Can anybody please tell me if remembering the list of GMAT words is really worth it, considering that it will take me 45 days to complete the list of 1350 words?

My target is to get min 720, and I may already know 25% of these words. I have skimmed the list quickly.

Reply to this would really help me as 45 days are a lot to spend !!!



No, there is no correlation between studying words and GMAT results.
GMAC did a study on this. Not worth it really to study anything other than standard/common words.

Thanks bb.
But i read somewhere on the net that remembering words does not assure 700+, yet most of those who get 700+ know these ~1300 GMAT frequent words.

Can you please tell what do you consider "common words"? Do you have a list?
Apologies. It is just concerning me ... :/
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: AS - Gold, HH-Diamond
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 13982
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 3460

Kudos [?]: 20631 [0], given: 4340

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2011, 10:29
You will have to make that decision (and research) yourself.


_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

US News 2008 - 2017 Rankings progression - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 76
Location: Tennessee
Schools: Belmont University
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 66

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2011, 09:16
Shalom
I am currently studying the Manhattan GMAT Quant portion @ Belmont University.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Location: Bahain
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2011, 23:43
Can somebody please tell me which one of the following is better book for Grammar: Doing Grammar or GMAT Club Grammar book? How many pages do they have?

I could not find comparison between these two on the forum.
How many pages do they have?
Which one is more specific to GMAT? I mean we can always learn as much as we want randomly. But studying the right matter is what gets you a good score.

Any suggestions?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 40
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, London Business School
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2011, 00:28
Well, it really depends what your current level of grammar is. I believe that the GMAT Club grammar book is for beginners, those really weak in grammar and who need an introduction. Doing grammar is not an introductory book and is for really high scorers. Below is an indication of the level of various GMAT SC resources:

Beginner's grammar book for GMAT:

GMAT club grammar book
Pro: Starts from basics
Con: Doesnt cover everything

Kaplan Verbal Foundation:
Pro: Quite comprehensive introduction
Con: Assumes some basic level of English

GMAT SC - main books

MGMAT SC
Pro: Very comprehensive
Con: Not very well structured, No GMAT like practice questions

Powerscore SC
Pro: Good basic grammar tutorial, Easy to understand structure, GMAT like practice questions
Con: Not comprehensive

Aristotle SC
Pro: Easy to remember bullet points
Con: I personally didnt think it was comprehensive

Advanced GMAT SC:

Doing Grammar - I shall be doing a detailed review
Pro: Very good comprehensive coverage, even beyond MGMAT SC
Con: Not a basic book to start with

I would actually recommend going through MGMAT SC once before starting Doing Grammar.

My recommendations for GMAT SC books:

1. Intro - Kaplan Verbal Foundations
2. MGMAT SC

Think these 2 should be sufficient. If you are still struggling, then check out e-gmat. I personally didnt need it but its very good for those struggling at 60% accuracy.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Location: Bahain
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2011, 00:41
roshpat wrote:
Well, it really depends what your current level of grammar is. I believe that the GMAT Club grammar book is for beginners, those really weak in grammar and who need an introduction. Doing grammar is not an introductory book and is for really high scorers. Below is an indication of the level of various GMAT SC resources:

Beginner's grammar book for GMAT:

GMAT club grammar book
Pro: Starts from basics
Con: Doesnt cover everything

Kaplan Verbal Foundation:
Pro: Quite comprehensive introduction
Con: Assumes some basic level of English

GMAT SC - main books

MGMAT SC
Pro: Very comprehensive
Con: Not very well structured, No GMAT like practice questions

Powerscore SC
Pro: Good basic grammar tutorial, Easy to understand structure, GMAT like practice questions
Con: Not comprehensive

Aristotle SC
Pro: Easy to remember bullet points
Con: I personally didnt think it was comprehensive

Advanced GMAT SC:

Doing Grammar - I shall be doing a detailed review
Pro: Very good comprehensive coverage, even beyond MGMAT SC
Con: Not a basic book to start with

I would actually recommend going through MGMAT SC once before starting Doing Grammar.

My recommendations for GMAT SC books:

1. Intro - Kaplan Verbal Foundations
2. MGMAT SC

Think these 2 should be sufficient. If you are still struggling, then check out e-gmat. I personally didnt need it but its very good for those struggling at 60% accuracy.


Thanks, Roshpat, for your reply.
I think I am okay with grammar. I would rate myself 5 / 10, i guess.

How long does it take to go through "Doing Grammer"? I have only one and a half month in total for Verbal Section.
Is doing MGmat SC only sufficient if I am targeting for 720 and above?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 40
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, London Business School
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2011, 03:04
I havent taken the GMAT yet, so cant say for sure. But yes, I think MGMAT SC should be sufficient for 720+. Very few high scorers have actually used Doing grammar. . If you have the book, then probably you can have a quick look at it after you have gone through MGMAT SC. I believe that MGMAT SC+ OG + explanations are the key.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Location: Bahain
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2011, 01:28
How useful is to do The official Verbal Guide and The Official Quantitative Guide, given the following:

I am using: Kaplan Premier for General Strategy
5 book set (out of 8) of MGMAT for Quantitative
3 books set (out of 8) of MGMAT for Verbal - I may quickly review a grammer book also
The Official Guide for Additional Practice / help

I already don't have enough time. I just wanted to know the value of doing Verbal and Quantitative guides with the above?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Location: Bahain
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2011, 01:32
roshpat wrote:
I havent taken the GMAT yet, so cant say for sure. But yes, I think MGMAT SC should be sufficient for 720+. Very few high scorers have actually used Doing grammar. . If you have the book, then probably you can have a quick look at it after you have gone through MGMAT SC. I believe that MGMAT SC+ OG + explanations are the key.

Thanks. Makes sense. Doing the Grammer along with these books may consume a couple of extra weeks (at minimum) from our plan.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2011
Posts: 106
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2011, 08:40
So if I got Quant 43 in test CAT - is it good enough for 700+ that I am aiming for?
As I want to move on to verbal after it - as my Verbal score is 25 and a total of 570 :(
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Posts: 2
Location: India
Schools: Great Lakes , ISB , NUS , INSEAD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2011, 14:46
A great Post indeed...i am preparing a plan for the GMAT and i hope the site will help me a laong way !
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Apr 2011
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2011, 22:17
Hi,

I have just started preparing for GMAT and this forum is exactly what I needed to get me motivated and connected.So, Thank You!

Based on your GMAT plan, I am building my own and want to know the best time to take my first test to check the waters.Should it be right away, even before I have gotten to the basics? I plan to follow your 3-month plan.

Thanks,
Mona
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2011
Posts: 198
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 6

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2011, 09:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
Absolutely, giving the test cold should help you know where you are and more detailed breakdown can point you to your problem areas.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2011, 15:39
Excellent study plan. So I got a question. I took prepared for GMAT a about six months ago. I started preparing with Kaplan then moved on to Manhattan. Took the official test twice and did not get the results I wanted.
Then I decided to postpone my grad school plans other reasons. So I took about 6 month break from GMAT.
Now i want to start back up again but don't know where to begin. Should I get another Kaplan book or should I get Princeton review or other guides?
Quantitative section is my primary concern.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: AS - Gold, HH-Diamond
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 13982
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 3460

Kudos [?]: 20631 [0], given: 4340

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2011, 20:35
cb17 wrote:
Excellent study plan. So I got a question. I took prepared for GMAT a about six months ago. I started preparing with Kaplan then moved on to Manhattan. Took the official test twice and did not get the results I wanted.
Then I decided to postpone my grad school plans other reasons. So I took about 6 month break from GMAT.
Now i want to start back up again but don't know where to begin. Should I get another Kaplan book or should I get Princeton review or other guides?
Quantitative section is my primary concern.



Well, you almost want to see this thread: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html?fl=menu

You also want to ask yourself why you will be able to get a better score this time or is it time to take a prep class? You have taken the GMAT twice ($500) and need to realistically evaluate your situation/chances/prep - will you be able to do smth that will make a difference. If so, how will it be different? Diff materials will not help - you have pretty much used the best already, so something about your process/prep/approach has to change.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

US News 2008 - 2017 Rankings progression - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2011, 05:48
I looked at the link (very helpful ) but I still want to retake GMAT because I am not in a 50 point range to where I need to be.
So you suggest I stick to the same material and switching to Princeton Review or other guides will not help.

ps. I took Kaplan courses before taking the official test the second time doesn't really work for me.

Thanks for the advice.
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2011, 05:48

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  43    Next  [ 843 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic Have you started your GMAT prep ?-- CONSOLIDATED B School DEADLINES 1991sehwag 9 09 May 2015, 05:05
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Study Plan- extra prep materials? jazz92 6 14 Oct 2013, 20:48
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic Study Plan Options - Manhattan GMAT Self-Study Prep? EmBeeAy23 3 24 Jan 2012, 14:24
Starting to Study for GMAT Samwong 8 12 Sep 2010, 12:33
How GMAT Prep helped you in your Career? akannan 1 11 May 2007, 18:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: HiLine, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.