GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 05:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 8
Location: Bahain
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2011, 01:49
All,

I am not a Native speaker. I really need your help, please. I have studied throughout my life in English. I have done, O and A Level, Cambridge University courses equivalent to 8-12th grade. Maths has always been my strength. Not that GMAT math would not be difficult for me, it's just that I am confident about my grip on Maths. This is why I have planned to do the maths section in the last month. I am an engineer by qualification, btw, but doing a management job.

For me, AWA is probably the most difficult thing. I have written thousands of e-mails in past 3 years of my job, besides my 18 years of study. Yet I am not confident about technical things of writing, like grammer, punctuation, and vocabulary, of course.

First, I am now trying to remember those 1350 frequent GMAT words. Are they really needed? They are going to take me like 6 weeks. 35 words a day take almost 2-3 hrs ... :/
Second, Can you, please, suggest how I can be confident about my AWA? I have searched like hell, but i could not find any good link. I don't have a teacher who can highlight my writing mistakes.

Can somebody, please, help?
BB, your suggestion would really mean a lot here ....
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: TIME FOR 700+
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 199
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2011, 11:05
1
TabishJavaid wrote:
Second, Can you, please, suggest how I can be confident about my AWA? I have searched like hell, but i could not find any good link. I don't have a teacher who can highlight my writing mistakes.


Chineseburned's guide, search it on forums, it got me an AWA 6, and I read it three times, 91st percentile :)
_________________

Back to the grind, goal 700+

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 8
Location: Bahain
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2011, 11:40
1
Wishbone wrote:
TabishJavaid wrote:
Second, Can you, please, suggest how I can be confident about my AWA? I have searched like hell, but i could not find any good link. I don't have a teacher who can highlight my writing mistakes.


Chineseburned's guide, search it on forums, it got me an AWA 6, and I read it three times, 91st percentile :)


Thanks Wishbone. Thanks a lot !!! I kept searching this subject the whole day while waiting for an answer on this thread. I got the link of chineseburned by mid day and have read all the threads inside it ...!!! :) ...

Thanks a lot for replying. Appreciate your help.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: TIME FOR 700+
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 199
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2011, 11:41
TabishJavaid wrote:
Wishbone wrote:
TabishJavaid wrote:
Second, Can you, please, suggest how I can be confident about my AWA? I have searched like hell, but i could not find any good link. I don't have a teacher who can highlight my writing mistakes.


Chineseburned's guide, search it on forums, it got me an AWA 6, and I read it three times, 91st percentile :)


Thanks Wishbone. Thanks a lot !!! I kept searching this subject the whole day while waiting for an answer on this thread. I got the link of chineseburned by mid day and have read all the threads inside it ...!!! :) ...

Thanks a lot for replying. Appreciate your help.


you're welcome but honestly thank chineseburned!!!! Kudos to you :)
_________________

Back to the grind, goal 700+

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 8
Location: Bahain
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2011, 11:47
Can anybody please tell me if remembering the list of GMAT words is really worth it, considering that it will take me 45 days to complete the list of 1350 words?

My target is to get min 720, and I may already know 25% of these words. I have skimmed the list quickly.

Reply to this would really help me as 45 days are a lot to spend !!!
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17243
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2011, 21:40
TabishJavaid wrote:
Can anybody please tell me if remembering the list of GMAT words is really worth it, considering that it will take me 45 days to complete the list of 1350 words?

My target is to get min 720, and I may already know 25% of these words. I have skimmed the list quickly.

Reply to this would really help me as 45 days are a lot to spend !!!



No, there is no correlation between studying words and GMAT results.
GMAC did a study on this. Not worth it really to study anything other than standard/common words.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 434
Location: India
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2011, 23:51
Hi, that is a very useful intensive study plan. I am a novice. Just starting to get hang of preps for GMAT. After 10 years of work experience, it is difficult to go back to books. However, this is a synopsis of my plan. I am currently going through the MGAT strategies, post which I wish to go through Dummies, OG, NOVA, some Princeton reviews. I am currently focussing only on PS/DS.Want to take them one at a time, to brush up my concepts before I get into to real test practices.After completion I wish to take up a course with Manhattan.
Need your advice, if I am heading correct, or do I need to have any different approach.
_________________

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++



-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17243
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2011, 09:05
I would recommend that you start with the Foundations book for Math just in case and see how it goes. Otherwise, you don't need diff materials, just will need to spend more time and make sure you are refreshing it well enough (don't rush)

MGMAT Math Foundations
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 8
Location: Bahain
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2011, 10:11
bb wrote:
TabishJavaid wrote:
Can anybody please tell me if remembering the list of GMAT words is really worth it, considering that it will take me 45 days to complete the list of 1350 words?

My target is to get min 720, and I may already know 25% of these words. I have skimmed the list quickly.

Reply to this would really help me as 45 days are a lot to spend !!!



No, there is no correlation between studying words and GMAT results.
GMAC did a study on this. Not worth it really to study anything other than standard/common words.

Thanks bb.
But i read somewhere on the net that remembering words does not assure 700+, yet most of those who get 700+ know these ~1300 GMAT frequent words.

Can you please tell what do you consider "common words"? Do you have a list?
Apologies. It is just concerning me ... :/
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17243
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2011, 10:29
You will have to make that decision (and research) yourself.


_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 76
Location: Tennessee
Schools: Belmont University
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2011, 09:16
Shalom
I am currently studying the Manhattan GMAT Quant portion @ Belmont University.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 8
Location: Bahain
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2011, 23:43
Can somebody please tell me which one of the following is better book for Grammar: Doing Grammar or GMAT Club Grammar book? How many pages do they have?

I could not find comparison between these two on the forum.
How many pages do they have?
Which one is more specific to GMAT? I mean we can always learn as much as we want randomly. But studying the right matter is what gets you a good score.

Any suggestions?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 40
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, London Business School
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2011, 00:28
Well, it really depends what your current level of grammar is. I believe that the GMAT Club grammar book is for beginners, those really weak in grammar and who need an introduction. Doing grammar is not an introductory book and is for really high scorers. Below is an indication of the level of various GMAT SC resources:

Beginner's grammar book for GMAT:

GMAT club grammar book
Pro: Starts from basics
Con: Doesnt cover everything

Kaplan Verbal Foundation:
Pro: Quite comprehensive introduction
Con: Assumes some basic level of English

GMAT SC - main books

MGMAT SC
Pro: Very comprehensive
Con: Not very well structured, No GMAT like practice questions

Powerscore SC
Pro: Good basic grammar tutorial, Easy to understand structure, GMAT like practice questions
Con: Not comprehensive

Aristotle SC
Pro: Easy to remember bullet points
Con: I personally didnt think it was comprehensive

Advanced GMAT SC:

Doing Grammar - I shall be doing a detailed review
Pro: Very good comprehensive coverage, even beyond MGMAT SC
Con: Not a basic book to start with

I would actually recommend going through MGMAT SC once before starting Doing Grammar.

My recommendations for GMAT SC books:

1. Intro - Kaplan Verbal Foundations
2. MGMAT SC

Think these 2 should be sufficient. If you are still struggling, then check out e-gmat. I personally didnt need it but its very good for those struggling at 60% accuracy.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 8
Location: Bahain
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2011, 00:41
roshpat wrote:
Well, it really depends what your current level of grammar is. I believe that the GMAT Club grammar book is for beginners, those really weak in grammar and who need an introduction. Doing grammar is not an introductory book and is for really high scorers. Below is an indication of the level of various GMAT SC resources:

Beginner's grammar book for GMAT:

GMAT club grammar book
Pro: Starts from basics
Con: Doesnt cover everything

Kaplan Verbal Foundation:
Pro: Quite comprehensive introduction
Con: Assumes some basic level of English

GMAT SC - main books

MGMAT SC
Pro: Very comprehensive
Con: Not very well structured, No GMAT like practice questions

Powerscore SC
Pro: Good basic grammar tutorial, Easy to understand structure, GMAT like practice questions
Con: Not comprehensive

Aristotle SC
Pro: Easy to remember bullet points
Con: I personally didnt think it was comprehensive

Advanced GMAT SC:

Doing Grammar - I shall be doing a detailed review
Pro: Very good comprehensive coverage, even beyond MGMAT SC
Con: Not a basic book to start with

I would actually recommend going through MGMAT SC once before starting Doing Grammar.

My recommendations for GMAT SC books:

1. Intro - Kaplan Verbal Foundations
2. MGMAT SC

Think these 2 should be sufficient. If you are still struggling, then check out e-gmat. I personally didnt need it but its very good for those struggling at 60% accuracy.


Thanks, Roshpat, for your reply.
I think I am okay with grammar. I would rate myself 5 / 10, i guess.

How long does it take to go through "Doing Grammer"? I have only one and a half month in total for Verbal Section.
Is doing MGmat SC only sufficient if I am targeting for 720 and above?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 40
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, London Business School
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2011, 03:04
I havent taken the GMAT yet, so cant say for sure. But yes, I think MGMAT SC should be sufficient for 720+. Very few high scorers have actually used Doing grammar. . If you have the book, then probably you can have a quick look at it after you have gone through MGMAT SC. I believe that MGMAT SC+ OG + explanations are the key.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 8
Location: Bahain
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2011, 01:28
How useful is to do The official Verbal Guide and The Official Quantitative Guide, given the following:

I am using: Kaplan Premier for General Strategy
5 book set (out of 8) of MGMAT for Quantitative
3 books set (out of 8) of MGMAT for Verbal - I may quickly review a grammer book also
The Official Guide for Additional Practice / help

I already don't have enough time. I just wanted to know the value of doing Verbal and Quantitative guides with the above?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 8
Location: Bahain
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2011, 01:32
roshpat wrote:
I havent taken the GMAT yet, so cant say for sure. But yes, I think MGMAT SC should be sufficient for 720+. Very few high scorers have actually used Doing grammar. . If you have the book, then probably you can have a quick look at it after you have gone through MGMAT SC. I believe that MGMAT SC+ OG + explanations are the key.

Thanks. Makes sense. Doing the Grammer along with these books may consume a couple of extra weeks (at minimum) from our plan.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2011
Posts: 93
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2011, 08:40
So if I got Quant 43 in test CAT - is it good enough for 700+ that I am aiming for?
As I want to move on to verbal after it - as my Verbal score is 25 and a total of 570 :(
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Posts: 1
Location: India
Schools: Great Lakes , ISB , NUS , INSEAD
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2011, 14:46
A great Post indeed...i am preparing a plan for the GMAT and i hope the site will help me a laong way !
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Apr 2011
Posts: 5
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2011, 22:17
Hi,

I have just started preparing for GMAT and this forum is exactly what I needed to get me motivated and connected.So, Thank You!

Based on your GMAT plan, I am building my own and want to know the best time to take my first test to check the waters.Should it be right away, even before I have gotten to the basics? I plan to follow your 3-month plan.

Thanks,
Mona
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep &nbs [#permalink] 17 Apr 2011, 22:17

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20  ...  42    Next  [ 829 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.